Sponsored by:

991.2 C2s early impressions from a motorcycle guy

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 02:39 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Beautiful! I have that bike's less-hot cousin: BMW R1200GS. It's an amazing machine. I do agree that, at road speeds at least, two wheels are a greater challenge than 4 - less forgiving and more to do. I also think that riding a bike well on a country road is ultimately more fun - it's like flying, and the way that driving a car can never be, and what's more fun than that?

That said, though, I went out for two for-fun road trips last weekend and both were in my cars. Maybe it's the lateral-G thing, maybe it's the comfort, maybe it's the music, or the potential for company, or not having to wear a thick leather suit in a heatwave - I don't know. It's almost definitely that sitting in a bit of traffic sometimes bothers me less than it used to. Am going away biking next week and looking forward to reconnecting with it, but currently Porsche is winning...

While I ended up concluding that I have more fun in cars, I agree with you rather solidly on all points here.

One other thing going for the bikes though is road trip stories are typically far better. I think the inherent potential for misery is part of the experience and makes the highs that much sweeter. My dad, sister, and I went and did a long motorcycle trip a few years back. We went through a few national parks up to Glacier in August. And stupidly, we didn't bring rain gear... We were soaked in rain for about two days straight and saw snow twice in the mountain passes. I think I remember the miserable parts with more fondness than anything. Bonding I guess. Beautiful scenery, wearing a three dollar parka that tore to shreds at 100mph (told my dad it's obviously not speed rated), having two dozen drunk Indians approach us like zombies or children of the corn at a gas stop, freezing our wet butts off by a fire in a tiny wood cottage at an 8000 foot mountain pass, etc. It was all stuff my wife would want absolutely no part of, but it makes for some great memories.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Beautiful! I have that bike's less-hot cousin: BMW R1200GS. It's an amazing machine.
I haven't been on a 1200, but years ago I owned an '03 1150GS. Quirky, immensely capable, and seriously fun! I got the GS dirty many times over the years, but this version of the Multistrada will never see dirt. Compared to a GS, it's more like a sport bike with an upright riding position.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:12 PM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Beautiful scenery, wearing a three dollar parka that tore to shreds at 100mph (told my dad it's obviously not speed rated)...
Old 08-29-2016, 03:18 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
To bring everything back down to Earth, as I was having fun driving those back roads in my 911, I was sure hoping that some good driver in a FIAT 500, Subaru WRX, or many other cars didn't show up and hand me my ***!
Enjoyed the review!

I also have a Fiat 500 Abarth and while it is an absolute HOOT to drive it doesn't come close to the 911. What it does share though is the ability to leave you walking away with a huge smile on your face every time you step out of it!
Old 08-29-2016, 03:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

No comparison between bikes and cars IMO, in terms of sensation and involvement. One of the reasons I've never taken my car to a track is because I know it will never match the feeling and thrill I got on a bike. I sat bitch one time in a car on track and it was a yawner to me in comparison. Track on a moto is better than sex.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:54 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I didn't start doing track days on a bike until I was well into my 40s. Got good enough on my Honda RC51 v-twin sport bike to be one of the slowest guys in the advanced group. Had no problem dragging knees, but then skipped a few years and lost a lot of my skills. Did one track day last year on my KTM 1290 Superduke and felt old and slow Barely touched down one knee once the whole day. It was a bit of trial by fire that day. Five years off the track, new track, and rain most of the day. Very challenging doing a track day in the rain! I finished that one glad I didn't crash and get hurt. So am really enjoying the 911 as it offers speed with less injury risk. Quite a bit more financial risk though!

Last edited by dflowerz; 08-29-2016 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 C2s early impressions from a motorcycle guy