My First Porsche - Building a 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 12:44 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 684 Likes on 478 Posts
Default My First Porsche - Building a 991.2

Hello,

After test driving periodically (and following) 911s over the last number of years I'm ready to buy a 911. I have 2 young kids (6, 9) and my 6 year old finally fits the rear seat in a booster

This will be an 7 month of the year daily driver (I'll park it November through March). Budget is not unlimited so I have to be careful not to let the options pile up.

I'm also trying to decide between a C2 and C2S. I've driven C2S, but alas, my dealer doesn't have a C2 and won't be getting one for stock this summer.

I've read that with the 991.2, the base car finally has enough low end power to satisfy most drivers and makes the C2S unnecessary (which is not the same as undesirable, of course).

For those who have test driven both and bought the C2S, what are your thoughts? Same question for those who drive both and bought a C2?

Also, Can someone help me understand the "I" (Individual) mode setting that operates in conjunction with Sport Chrono as it relates to the PSE option? I understand that Sport and Sport plus modes engage the Sport Exhaust. I like this option but am not sure I'll always want the louder sound. Can you configure the "I" mode to give you the driving dynamics of Sport or Sport Plus, but without the PSE open? Is there another way to defeat PSE for the times you don't want it, but it would otherwise default on? I note that the PSE switch on the console is now gone.

C2 would be equipped as follows:

GT Silver
14 Way power seats with Memory
Premium Package
PDK
Sport Chrono
Sport Exhaust
Power Steering Plus
Sunroof (standard)
Bose

(Thinking about 20" RS Spyder wheels, SPASM)

Has anyone compared the ride between a stock C2 and C2S with 20's?

Thanks,

K
Old 05-30-2016, 01:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

You're going to get as more different opinions than there are options, as so many of these are personal. My $.02; I drove only the base, plenty of power. The PASM suspension is fantastic, ride quality is improved over the .1, even with 20s. SPASM is personal, I'd do it, but it may not be for everyone. The new 5 spoke wheels look great with GT Silver, as does the standard 19" base wheel, if you're going to for a sporty look. And easier to clean.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:10 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a base cab (991.2) and I drive it about 4 days a week. It is plenty powerful and fun for *me*... most driving situations for me and for most other people will be with moderate to heavy traffic, so I have a hard time getting the opportunity to really make the car stretch its legs. As Archimedes said, everyone will have a different opinion and the next guy will jump in here saying you must definitely have an S. As I see it, the only reason to have an S is if you think you would feel "S envy" if you did not have one. In traffic, or on most public roads, you will not be able to tell the difference between the two... just my 2c

PS: I did get Sport Chrono and I am glad I did... well worth it, IMO. and Lane Change Assist is worth every penny, even if pricey option...

Last edited by LCW; 05-30-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:10 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

FWIW I have a base .1. PLENTY of power. I would not get the CS for more power. I'd consider it (and I am) for the SPADM and RWS and 6 piston brakes. The extra 50 HP is just a bonus. I would be very surprised if you ever felt the PSE was too loud. I HATE loud exhaust but I run with mine on at all times and the .2 is quieter.

Finally, the salesmen that I know are all getting the base model. Just not worth the extra $$ for the S in their opinion even with their discount.

But I am still considering an S for the above reasons.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:24 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes in I mode you can turn the PSE on or off. Also there is a button on the center console for the PSE so very easy to turn on or off any time.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:34 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I can only address a small part of your question, but here goes anyway:

I test drove the C2 and didn't find it lacking for power. They didn't have an S available so I can't compare. I'm at altitude, so my opinion is a bit biased as NA engines are weaker here by about 15%. I understand from reviews (not experience) that the "S" has slightly more noticeable turbo lag than the base.

An S with less options vs. a base with more options (similar sticker) will be more a matter of personal priorities than anything. When playing with the configurator, I'd suggest considering the two cars both a 911 Carrera with the extra power, equipment, and S badging as a large options package. That's what it really is.

This is an emotional purchase, not one driven by needs, so while common sense must prevail, there's no sense spending all of the money and not getting what you really want to save ~10%. I keep in mind that instead of buying a brand new C2 with minimal options, I could actually save a few bucks by picking up a brand new GT350/Alfa 4C *plus* a brand new entry level BMW/Audi.

Since you say budget is a priority, if you aren't going to keep it for 10+ years I would give serious consideration to a used or CPO car. You'll get more options on the car at a lower price of entry, and more importantly, when the time comes to sell it on you'll realize a much smaller loss. I bought a used C2 GTS to see if it was just ok or if I really enjoyed the car. I really like it, so I've ordered a new C2S. I won't lose much selling the GTS, and had I not had an accident in it I might have broke even. But perhaps more importantly, I'm ordering a very different new car than I would have if I hadn't owned the GTS first, and I think I will be happier in the long run. The next model release should be out sometime around 2020 for what that's worth.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:36 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a base 991.1 and am finding it plenty sufficient. I also had a budget to work with (and my total budget included all travel costs for Euro delivery) and could not justify the S. I'm sure you'll get lots of different opinions here, though.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:36 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by dflowerz
Yes in I mode you can turn the PSE on or off. Also there is a button on the center console for the PSE so very easy to turn on or off any time.
Are you sure that is the case on the 991.2 car?
Old 05-30-2016, 03:08 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

This is the center console on my 991.2 C2s. It's the button with the two exhaust pipes.

Name:  IMG_2427_zps2lmjmort.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  85.8 KB
Old 05-30-2016, 03:14 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what the OP is referring to is the configuration of the Individual mode - this is done through the MFD. In configuring "I" you presumably would most likely select one of the sport drive modes as a starting point - his question is whether you can have say, for example, Sport mode with PSE OFF as an individual configuration. I am pretty sure you can, but someone with PSE should perhaps confirm.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:34 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

If you are on a budget and using the 911 as a daily driver, then the S is a total waste of money. It doesn't get you that much more for $14k. 0 - 60 in .3 secs faster. Do you really need that? It's the same displacement engine as the base with just more turbo boost. Sure PTV is standard on the S, slightly wider tires and slightly larger brakes in the front. You wont notice any as a daily driver.

You have young kids. Get the Base and get over the "S" badge as being a status symbol.

P.S. You mentioned SPASM as an option on your base build. That option is only available on the S.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:35 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

The fact that there are so many plusses and minuses as one moves up the Porsche 911 model portfolio shows that Porsche Marketing has some very sophisticated pricing models that allow the Company to generate optimal profit margins, by segmenting the market based upon Customer's resources.

Personally, I started with the C2S, and after optioning the build, wasn't too far from the Turbo. Turns out the Turbo includes a ton of options as standard -- that's where I ended up. Thought the Turbo S was overkill. Plan to keep the Turbo for a long time once it arrives.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:53 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by dflowerz
This is the center console on my 991.2 C2s. It's the button with the two exhaust pipes.

Thanks. I'll have to look at the dealer's C2S I test drove last week. I was concentrating on driving and didn't look at the console on this C2S with PSE but I thought he told me the button had been removed and it was turned on and off with the mode wheel. Your picture seems to show otherwise though.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:55 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by subshooter
If you are on a budget and using the 911 as a daily driver, then the S is a total waste of money. It doesn't get you that much more for $14k. 0 - 60 in .3 secs faster. Do you really need that? It's the same displacement engine as the base with just more turbo boost. Sure PTV is standard on the S, slightly wider tires and slightly larger brakes in the front. You wont notice any as a daily driver.

You have young kids. Get the Base and get over the "S" badge as being a status symbol.

P.S. You mentioned SPASM as an option on your base build. That option is only available on the S.
That solves that problem if I go the way I am leaning (C2). I plan to keep this car 5 - 6 years.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The whole Base vs. S thing has been beaten to death many times in other threads, plenty to read there that still applies to the .2. I agree that the base car has plenty of power and the car overall offers more than enough performance.

But anyone who says that you won't notice the power difference between a base and an S in any driving situation, commuting or otherwise, not to mention the braking, PTV, RWS, etc. is either lying or misinformed. You will absolutely notice it and one drive of the cars back to back will make it obvious to you. But again, the base car offers plenty of performance already, and the incremental difference may not be important to you or worth the extra money.

Quick Reply: My First Porsche - Building a 991.2