Sponsored by:

My First Porsche - Building a 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 06:53 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW
I think what the OP is referring to is the configuration of the Individual mode - this is done through the MFD. In configuring "I" you presumably would most likely select one of the sport drive modes as a starting point - his question is whether you can have say, for example, Sport mode with PSE OFF as an individual configuration. I am pretty sure you can, but someone with PSE should perhaps confirm.
Name:  IMG_2428_zps9ijmza4u.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  60.0 KB
Name:  FullSizeRender_zpst6xe3dcv.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  117.6 KB
Old 05-30-2016, 06:59 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

When car is in normal mode the PSE defaults to off and the auto start stop to on. When switching to sport mode or sport plus mode the PSE defaults to on and auto start stop to off. Settings can be changed by pushing the console buttons. So you can be driving in normal mode but turn the PSE on, etc.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:09 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
When car is in normal mode the PSE defaults to off and the auto start stop to on. When switching to sport mode or sport plus mode the PSE defaults to on and auto start stop to off. Settings can be changed by pushing the console buttons. So you can be driving in normal mode but turn the PSE on, etc.
I really appreciate you posting all this stuff. Thank you.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:34 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Thank you for clearing that up. I'd take the PSE then as long as I can pick the driving mode I want and turn off PSE when I want to - which it seems I can.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:18 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
....My $.02; I drove only the base, plenty of power.....
Originally Posted by LCW
I have a base cab (991.2) and I drive it about 4 days a week. It is plenty powerful and fun for *me*... most driving situations for me and for most other people will be with moderate to heavy traffic, so I have a hard time getting the opportunity to really make the car stretch its legs. ... As I see it, the only reason to have an S is if you think you would feel "S envy" if you did not have one. In traffic, or on most public roads, you will not be able to tell the difference between the two... just my 2c....
Originally Posted by rkwfxd
FWIW I have a base .1. PLENTY of power. I would not get the CS for more power.

Finally, the salesmen that I know are all getting the base model. Just not worth the extra $$ for the S in their opinion even with their discount.
Originally Posted by ace37
I test drove the C2 and didn't find it lacking for power.
Originally Posted by stealthboy
I have a base 991.1 and am finding it plenty sufficient. I also had a budget to work with (and my total budget included all travel costs for Euro delivery) and could not justify the S. I'm sure you'll get lots of different opinions here, though.
Originally Posted by subshooter
If you are on a budget and using the 911 as a daily driver, then the S is a total waste of money. It doesn't get you that much more for $14k. 0 - 60 in .3 secs faster. Do you really need that? It's the same displacement engine as the base with just more turbo boost. Sure PTV is standard on the S, slightly wider tires and slightly larger brakes in the front. You wont notice any as a daily driver.

You have young kids. Get the Base and get over the "S" badge as being a status symbol.
Originally Posted by Archimedes
The whole Base vs. S thing has been beaten to death many times in other threads, plenty to read there that still applies to the .2. I agree that the base car has plenty of power and the car overall offers more than enough ....
Fathom that.

(and all in a single post!)
Old 05-30-2016, 10:42 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

On my 2016 base I can put it in sport mode and turn off PSE and it stays in sport mode. I would think the .2 is the same.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:16 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Just curios, in individual mode, can you turn auto stop/start to off?
Old 05-31-2016, 12:15 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Just curios, in individual mode, can you turn auto stop/start to off?
Look at dflowerz's post. It is listed there on the TFT.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:29 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had a short drive in both the Base and S back to back and my basic experience between the two is that the S pulls harder from 3-3.5K and up. With the same options driving it around town under 3k rpm there is absolutely no difference in feel and power.

The Base car is very potent in this model. I would say you can't go wrong with either. In the 991.1 models I would have never recommended the Base..

Stephen
Old 05-31-2016, 05:06 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

I have noticed in general driving that the turbos aren't really doing much. The vehicle info screen does not show any boost pressure. So yeah I think in most conditions the Base and S model are going to be almost identical in power. Only difference is when you hit the accelerator and start to kick in the boost.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:16 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

I have noticed in general driving that the turbos aren't really doing much. The vehicle info screen does not show any boost pressure. So yeah I think in most conditions the Base and S model are going to be almost identical in power. Only difference is when you hit the accelerator and start to kick in the boost.
It just comes down to budget for me. I think I'll be getting a C2 base. I'll include the sport exhaust because I like the sound most of the time and have the ability to turn it off when I don't and the tailpipes in the centre are a nice departure from the regular exhaust. I'll pick 20" wheel design as well. I think a sunroof and Bose will add some enjoyment and will help at resale time. Of course, as everyone has mentioned, its best to drive a base car before the final decision. I plan to do that in the next few weeks. My dealer doesn't have one, but I'm travelling to the west coast in 3 weeks. It looks like an order now would give me a car delivery in November so unless I can find an in stock car in Canada that I like, it looks like it will be a 2018. I don't plan to drive my car in the winters here (-20F some nights). Thanks, for your help. K
Old 05-31-2016, 07:01 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

I test drove both a c2 and a c4s. The c2 was an absolutely phenomenal car! The brakes were excellent, the sound was excellent and the throttle response was great. Sport exhaust is a must though. The car is very quiet otherwise.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:22 PM
Addixion
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the PSE button that's been removed; it's the Sport Plus button that's gone from the center console. All driving mode selections are now made on the rotating **** connected to the steering wheel.

Originally Posted by kayjh
Thanks. I'll have to look at the dealer's C2S I test drove last week. I was concentrating on driving and didn't look at the console on this C2S with PSE but I thought he told me the button had been removed and it was turned on and off with the mode wheel. Your picture seems to show otherwise though.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:27 PM
fansonly
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have '16 GTS.

If I were going to get a 911.2 to replace it and save money, I'd get your build (same color) with a few changes.

Drop power steering - I don't have it and I never notice not have it. Ever.

Drop the BOSE - its just awful for the money. The stock radio in my mazda sounds just as good if not better to me.

Stick to the base wheels. They are way under appreciated.

You gotta get a roof unless you're albino. And PSE + chrono is an essential part of the fun.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:32 PM
Addixion
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After owning a 997.2 C2 cab without PSE+chrono and now owning a 991.2 C2 cab with these two options on board, I concur 100%. The fun factor during spirited driving increases significantly.

Originally Posted by fansonly
I have '16 GTS.

If I were going to get a 911.2 to replace it and save money, I'd get your build (same color) with a few changes.

Drop power steering - I don't have it and I never notice not have it. Ever.

Drop the BOSE - its just awful for the money. The stock radio in my mazda sounds just as good if not better to me.

Stick to the base wheels. They are way under appreciated.

You gotta get a roof unless you're albino. And PSE + chrono is an essential part of the fun.

Quick Reply: My First Porsche - Building a 991.2