Sponsored by:

Carrera or Carrera S???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 02:03 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Between all the performance upgrades and HP, the S model is a pretty good value.

I've talked to a lot of buyers.... My observations.

HAVE heard quite a few times: "Should have bought the S instead of the base".

Have NEVER heard: "Should have bought the base instead of the S".

A take on Derek's quote ..

If you get the base, you will wonder about the S now and then.

If you get the S, you will never wonder about to base.

For what it's worth ....
I have never met a woman with a stunning 2.5ct AGS 000 diamond on her hand, wishing her husband had opted for the $12,000 cheaper 1.5ct AGS 000 instead.

Perceived better is often simply better: even if you wouldn't appreciate it too much on paper, in real life, the exclusivity and value assigned due to the higher price of a more expensive object can obscure reasonable thought. If she had never gotten used to the 2.5ct firecracker, a 1.5ct AGS 000 would still be stunning and more size and sparkle than 99% of women are displaying on their ring finger.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:14 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Ps. Miller lite > bud light
Blech! I'm amazed that someone could enjoy refinement in an automobile enough to drive a Porsche yet still drink **** beer.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:49 AM
cosanchez
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tyresmoker
Awesome feedback, thank you!
I have always been "big is good, bigger is better!". I guess I am somewhat smitten by the 3k mile Carrera i have my eye on...I want to get into the game, and if I like it (what is not to like?!?) it won't be my last...Keep the comments and feedback coming...it is appreciated!
Ok I will play. It's not a base or s question for me. It's what option do you want. I view the motor size difference just like spasm or pasm. Or do you want sports exhaust? What color. Build your unicorn list then try to find the one that matches that.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:24 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Put it this way, the difference in $ between the BASE and S models, you'll NEVER lose that at resale. Well, maybe count like a $3K at most hit on the upgrade after years of ownership (buying new). Worth it?? Buying used, you'll lose $0 on the upgrade down the line.

Only a buyer can decide.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:25 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you really live without red calipers???

The only one that can determine the relative value for you of the S goodies and the extra money is you.

But, at resale time you will most likely recover the best part of the S premium, so it is more a question of "time value of money" than an actual extra cost (it is true that you are putting more money at risk).

I was considering a new 2016 "black edition" for $9X and ended up with a CPO 4S for 10-15k less, expecting to have less costs of ownership in 2-3 years.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:27 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911seeker
Can you really live without red calipers???

The only one that can determine the relative value for you of the S goodies and the extra money is you.

But, at resale time you will most likely recover the best part of the S premium, so it is more a question of "time value of money" than an actual extra cost (it is true that you are putting more money at risk).

I was considering a new 2016 "black edition" for $9X and ended up with a CPO 4S for 10-15k less, expecting to have less costs of ownership in 2-3 years.
In your case, a better car at a better $, and less cost of ownership. A win win!

Let someone else take the first $30K hit in the first 2K miles.

Look at the "Hot for Sale" thread listings for a reality check.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:44 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I think for the 991.1, I would always get the S model. I test drove a 991.1 C4 and thought the power was pretty anemic-and I was keeping the revs high up in the power band looking for max power. The 991.2 is a bit different as both base and S have that turbo torque boost down low. That said, I had no doubt about ordering the 991.2 S model as some of the handling features are only available with the S. Also I always like more power! But as others have said, there is no right answer.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:14 PM
sp330
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a BRZ and now have a Z06 and a Boxster. There are more times on the street I wished for less power in my Corvette than I ever wished for more power in the BRZ or Boxster.

That being said, I would still go for the S
Old 05-30-2016, 12:55 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Put it this way, the difference in $ between the BASE and S models, you'll NEVER lose that at resale. Well, maybe count like a $3K at most hit on the upgrade after years of ownership (buying new). Worth it?? Buying used, you'll lose $0 on the upgrade down the line.

Only a buyer can decide.

I don't agree. 911's with normal options depreciate on a percentage. In the event a base depreciates 40% over a certain period of time the S will depreciate relatively the same percentage over the same period. The base and S are entry level cars and are common street cars. True, certain 911 models do hold their value better than others but not on these models.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:05 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by petee1997
I don't agree. 911's with normal options depreciate on a percentage. In the event a base depreciates 40% over a certain period of time the S will depreciate relatively the same percentage over the same period. The base and S are entry level cars and are common street cars. True, certain 911 models do hold their value better than others but not on these models.
My point being, the $14K between the base and S (base MSRP's) will have little depreciation. Maybe $3-$4K on a new car over 5 years.

One of the best priced option packages they have. Look at how much they were charging for the stand-alone X51 power kit!
Old 05-30-2016, 01:20 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 717 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
My point being, the $14K between the base and S (base MSRP's) will have little depreciation. Maybe $3-$4K on a new car over 5 years.
The way I look at it, is on a 3 year ownership if the depreciation is 40%, the extra $14,000 for the C2S will have cost $5,600 or $155.00/month. Maybe that puts it in perspective. Also, I think the more is better mentality makes a used C2S likely to sell more quickly.

Having said that, I have to think most people trade their cars when they get a new one rather than sell privately so you have to see what the dealer says about residual values between the two cars. Where I live (Canada) if we don't trade, we lose the GST (5%) of the value of our used car when we go to buy a new car (without a trade). When you trade, you just pay the difference in the GST. So on a car worth $100,000 (CAD) at trade time, that is $5,000 you are walking away from. of course, if you can get much better offer from the private sale market than the dealer, maybe its worth it to get a C2S and try and sell privately when you want to upgrade.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:50 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
thank you.

buying and leasing a NEW car has its merits....because you know, it's yours and has never been pre-owned, and one has to worry less....and maybe they want to have a new car at a relatively low monthly price and NOT be on the hook for costs related to ownership.....and be able to turn it in after 12mo, 24mo, 36mo, and start over in another new car NEVER having to have paid the TAXES on the purchase price (at time of registration) whether NEW or USED. there are benefits, many RL's here buy new, it's not all about buying used.

oh, and did anyone mention anything related to taxes on both a lower msrp and higher msrp car? example: in california....let's say 9% sales tax at time of purchase....on a $90k car = $8.2k......on a $110k car? $9.9k...a difference of $1.7k, or said another way, 20% less/more.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:09 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

As far as used prices go, I have been watching used base and S prices for months. 2 cars with similar options; a base $100k build, and S $110k build, similar miles and model year, will almost always be priced around $10k differently, if not more. I had a bunch of cars bookmarked, and the S models almost always sold faster; 3 of the base CPO 911's I had saved ended up selling through auction after a Porsche dealer couldn't move them ( granted, base manuals, but still). For whatever reason, the S will hold its $10-15k premium at resale time, and be easier to sell to boot. I almost bought a late model low mile base 911 with S options; ptv, SC, pasm, pse, and I was looking at mid 70's. Once I calculated 3 year depreciation (based on what a 3 year older base 911 was going for with 20k more miles) vs a similar build S at what similar s cars were selling at used and in 3 years, the numbers I had were that the S would actually have $4k less depreciation over that time. Even a lean build, low option, no performance option manual base, was going to depreciate $2k more than the S. It was hard to find a scenario where a base was cheaper to own over the S.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:02 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
As far as used prices go, I have been watching used base and S prices for months. 2 cars with similar options; a base $100k build, and S $110k build, similar miles and model year, will almost always be priced around $10k differently, if not more. I had a bunch of cars bookmarked, and the S models almost always sold faster; 3 of the base CPO 911's I had saved ended up selling through auction after a Porsche dealer couldn't move them ( granted, base manuals, but still). For whatever reason, the S will hold its $10-15k premium at resale time, and be easier to sell to boot. I almost bought a late model low mile base 911 with S options; ptv, SC, pasm, pse, and I was looking at mid 70's. Once I calculated 3 year depreciation (based on what a 3 year older base 911 was going for with 20k more miles) vs a similar build S at what similar s cars were selling at used and in 3 years, the numbers I had were that the S would actually have $4k less depreciation over that time. Even a lean build, low option, no performance option manual base, was going to depreciate $2k more than the S. It was hard to find a scenario where a base was cheaper to own over the S.
Well, a few examples hardly makes for a robust sample set. The comparative depreciation tables at Edmunds wouldn't support what you mentioned above. Their data could be lacking as well. Having said that, their data suggests that the base model depreciates 5% less over a 3yr time period. Have a look if you don't believe me. Hec, even their total ownership cost comparisons favor owning a base model if all in costs are important to someone. I'm of the personal opinion that PFS depreciation schedules are not very different and that a less expensive car would be less expensive to own when all of the costs (tax included) are factored in.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:04 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by raidersfan
You don't say?? Great real world info. Exactly what I've been saying.

The Rennlist Academic know it alls with their textbook theories come up short again.

Edmunds?? We aren't pricing out a Honda Civic

Later guys. Going out for a Going to enjoy the S upgrade.

Last edited by STG; 05-30-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Carrera or Carrera S???