Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Order: 14 or 18-way seat & Bose Audio or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 06:01 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Question 991.2 Order: 14 or 18-way seat & Bose Audio or not?

Hello folks,

It's been a while since I left the P-car community after selling my 997.2 a few years ago. I have recently decided to place an order for an 991.2 C2 with and available July build & possible Sept. delivery. After long debating, I have chosen the Graphite Blue Metallic with Graphite Blue/Chalk leather interior. Now, there are a couple of things I can't made up my mind with and I need to figure them out before it's locked-in for production.

First of all, I would like to hear your opinions on both about the 14-way and 18-way seats option. In a darker interior situation, I wouldn't choose the 18-way seats as the back of them are silver/grey; however, since I chose the chalk (which to me is very much like very light grey or white-ish), I don't mind having that silver back shell. I guess the question is, would the extra $1200 or $1300 for the 18-way seats be something worth the money to spend?

Another one is the Audio system. I was told most people would at least chose the Bose Audio package and I had that in my last 997.2. It was nice but all I really listen while driving is local/traffic/weather news and sometimes some old track music that I don't even have a clue about what they are. I wonder in my case, if I should spend that $1820 for the Bose system at all. (Canadian pricing)

this is my build for now:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PHR56C75

Sincerely hoping to hear from your inputs ;-)

cheers everyone and wish you all have a wonderful weekend!
Old 05-27-2016, 06:51 AM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

The 14 way seats are more comfortable than the 18 way seats. The 18 way seats are much more "snug".

I originally was going to get the base stereo but my SA insisted I get it for resale purposes. I personally would save the money on the 18 way seats and put it towards the GT heated steering wheel.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:23 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by bmedude
The 14 way seats are more comfortable than the 18 way seats. The 18 way seats are much more "snug".

I originally was going to get the base stereo but my SA insisted I get it for resale purposes. I personally would save the money on the 18 way seats and put it towards the GT heated steering wheel.

I was going to say exactly the same thing....so +1
Old 05-27-2016, 08:27 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

There are a LOT of threads on this topic; do a search to read everyone's opinion.

Bottom line: you need to test-sit both types of seats. Depending upon your physical build and seating position it is very possible that you will hate sitting in one type or the other for any length of time.

For me it took 15 seconds to figure out which seat type I couldn't stand (so-to-speak.)
Old 05-27-2016, 08:43 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Seats are a funny thing. I could not decide when I ordered my car last year. I went to the dealer and sat in both the 14 and the 18. I found the 14's more comfortable, but you may not.

Strongly urge you to invest the time sitting in both, your shoulders and back will guide you.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:07 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm 6.2 and was anywhere from 190-220 and loved the 18 way. 14 way hurt my lower back. I'm the outlier.

And yes to Bose.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:40 AM
Dr. Satan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like audio isn't a huge priority to you. Seems silly to spend $1800 now hoping to get a percentage of it back later.

Not sure of your age but my Dad has a hard time getting in and out with the 18 ways. I wonder if the 14 ways would have been easier for him.

And while I'm chiming in I do love the seat ventilation.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:44 AM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm 6'2", 245, and I love my 18 way seats. I can easily do a 14 hour stint, with no aches at the end of the trip.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:03 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I test drove a car with your color combo, and it looked great. I had 14 ways in my previous 991, have them in my current car, and ordered them in my new car. They're great, and I wouldn't spend the extra money for 18 ways. I have the Bose system in my 991, and my wife has the base system in her 997.2. I listen to mostly Sirius XM and music on my iPhone. I don't think the Bose system is that much better than the base system. I went with the base system in my 991.2.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:09 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the base stereo and am fine with it. I have the Bose on my boxster. It is not worth over 1k. They both are passable at what they do.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:18 AM
steve9
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

I tried both the 14 and 18 way seats at a Porsche experience track event recently - to be fair I only sat in them for less than an hour but both were comfortable. 18 ways are a bit more hugging but I didn't find them more comfortable - they will also be more prone to paint rubbing off the bolsters especially if you have a lazy car entry technique i.e. allow your bottom / back to slide across the bolsters as you enter the car.

Its hard to see that resale would be less than the ~$1800 purchase price of the bose system so I wouldnt bother with it.

I don't completely agree with the previous GT steering wheel recommendations - with the 991.1 you need the GT / sports design steering wheel for the proper L/R PDK paddles, now they come as standard (at least in UK) on the 991.2 and you have specified a manual anyway. With the GT steering wheel you would forego the wheel functions. However, I would seriously consider the carbon MF steering wheel, this really does look great. I've used a pic from MaxF14 new TTS post here

Also consider the Porsche crests on the seats.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:21 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Currently, I have two Cayennes -- one with the standard audio, one with the Bose. The standard audio is sub-standard IMO, while the Bose rates a 5 out of 10. I'd definitely go with the Bose, at a minimum. I went with the Burmester in my recent order (below) as I plan to keep the vehicle for a long time, and thought it was a nice to have option.

The seats are a personal matter -- my sales guy said that most go with the 14way, I tried both out, and went with that one -- have the 14 way in one of my cayennes (8 way in the other), and it's nice but not sure if it's exactly the same as the 14 way in the 991.2. As mentioned by Dr Satan, above, ventilated seats are very nice in the summer, although in Vancouver probably not essential -- put it in the nice-to-have category.

Regarding your color combo -- I saw one just like it in the showroom this week -- I liked it, the sales guy thought there was too much blue between the Graphite Blue Metallic with Graphite Blue/Chalk leather interior. I went with Metallic White exterior with the Graphite Blue/Chalk. BTW, the Graphite Blue part of the interior is a great shade with some gray as part of the mix, and the Chalk is good too -- very light gray. It's something you really need to see in person, although the Porsche configurator does an accurate rendering on a Macbook Pro. This is my build -- Sept production:

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...px?c=/PHJDD5K6

Last edited by philg3; 05-28-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:24 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The 991 Bose is generally a class lower than the 997 Bose was (which was top money at the time).

Hard to advise. I think you will easily make the money back on resell value, not having any upgraded audio system is going to hurt at least resale timing.

The 991 Bose is also a reasonable base to replace individual speakers with quality speakers. Some people throw in individual components from the OEM Burmester. I am not up to date with other aftermarket speakers. The point is that if you don't have the Bose you might miss door trim places or the wiring to them. If sound quality matters to you the Bose also gives you a sufficient head unit so that good sound only requires speaker changes.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:38 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not convinced the smaller Gt steering wheel is a forgone choice. It makes it a bit hard to read the instruments depending on how tall you are and how low the wheel is. I don't think the increased torque required to turn the smaller wheel translates into a real advantage in steering feel.

The Carbon fiber wheel is a big one, BTW.

I would definitely get heated seats and the heated multifunction steering wheel for resell value. Lacking those will hurt if you ever want to sell.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:44 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

The 14 ways have color matched rear color.

The rears of the 18 ways look cheap. Silver plastic. You have to option the leather backed ones, and more $$$$.

Seems like both seats are liked by those who have them.

The stereo?? The base stereo is bad for resale. Get the Bose. You'll get your money out of it between enjoyment and resale.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Order: 14 or 18-way seat & Bose Audio or not?