Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK reprogam for 991.1

Old 05-26-2016, 09:29 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
Exactly. I own both an e90 335i and a 911S and I can almost guarantee that the 335i has more torque available all the way up to 4000 RPMS which is where the 911 starts to make significant torque. If the 911 PDK is left in Automatic mode, you'll rarely see over 4K RPMs in daily city driving. I too, drive my 911 in manual mode to keep the revs up. Otherwise it just lugs around below 3000 RPMs.

Thanks - my view(pretty sure it is fact) always seems to get challenged on this.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:23 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I completely see what the OP is talking about. It shifts way too early in sport mode. Unless you completely floor it seems to shift at 4k. They definitely need something in between sport and sport plus. I use the paddles 80% of the time for this reason.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:32 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Maybe you should look at a Tesla. Tough to beat in the off the line torque department.
Agree...sounds like the best option for her honestly is another car! While she may like the look and feel of the 991 from your description it is not the car I would have recommended for her due to her driving style. Maybe a Cayman or Boxster w/PDK as they are more small and even in PDK feel fast and powerful in daily driving due to the size, go kart feeling and driving dynamics. Or maybe a Macan? A Tesla wouldn't be a bad idea or one of the turbo charged BMW's as you mentioned where you get more torque down low! My DD is a 2015 M3 so I can tell you ti will fill that bill!

Not trying to impune your spouse's character or driving style but sounds like a 991 as a point A to B commuter as your wife seeks just isn't the right car if she's not willing to drive it "dynamically" as others have suggested. I long ago learned the lesson after many cars to buy my wife's car for her driving style (no need for speed or super sensitive/sporty driving dynamics) which is A to B w/no track work or heavy throttle use involved versus my style which is much faster and invovles much more sporty driving! As I am the one with the HPDE's and M school and Porsche Driving School under my belt and love the purity of the driving experience...I try not to get "MY car" in hers as it doesn't work...the car she needs/wants I would hate and the one for me that would put a smile on my face for her would be $$$ wasted. Thus she has a base 2016 Cayenne v6 for example where I would need at least and S or preferably a Cayenne GTS to be happy. As I said my daily driver is an M3 and prior to that was a heavily tuned 2012 550i w/full Dinan mods just for those reasons!

Get her a new car and you take the 991.1 sounds like the best solution that keeps you BOTH happy! Or maybe take her to a driving school/course so she can understand more of the capabilities and dynamics of you guys Porsche! Good luck!
Old 05-28-2016, 11:43 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist...

Q: I'm looking to mod my car.
A: Just buy a new one!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Tor Atle Lunde
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by virage
This is correct, the second post provided the answer to our question. I have relayed it to my wife, and we are deciding what to do next. Probably swap for a 991.2 Carrera S with SportChrono, or add a BMW M4/M6 just for her.
Sport chrono only adds Sport+ mode which is not suitable for normal driving. It's for very spirited driving or track use. The new 991.2 is quieter and with full torque from 1700rpm I think your wife would be more than happy with a base. It is effortless to drive. Go have a test drive and let us know what you think of it

Edit: one reason to go for the S is the rear wheel steering. It is really nice for city driving as the turning radius is better and you get less "skipping".
Old 05-29-2016, 12:44 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

With no offense to OP, it sounds like his wife is just driving the wrong car for her needs and enjoyment. Let her go shopping for another ride that suits her better. Life is short so get into something that makes her happy. I have had many American Muscle cars, last one was a Shelby GT500 that at 3/4 throttle was almost uncontrolable, too much front bias, weight and live rear axle. But fun as hell. Now my 991.1 S 2014, with PSE, Sport Chrono and PDK to me is pure heaven. With launch control it beats the Shelby hands down. Driving in auto and not going to Sport or Sport+ if I use the paddles for down shifts it hold the gear until I up shift with paddle or hit redline. Does this make sense? Or does using paddles automatically go into Sport mode? When doing this as described, neither s or s+ is illuminated. Then if I lift off the throttle she goes back to auto mode again. Is my PDK trans special?
Old 05-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmorritt
Driving in auto and not going to Sport or Sport+ if I use the paddles for down shifts it hold the gear until I up shift with paddle or hit redline. Does this make sense? Or does using paddles automatically go into Sport mode? When doing this as described, neither s or s+ is illuminated. Then if I lift off the throttle she goes back to auto mode again. Is my PDK trans special?
It's not sport mode just semi-auto, it holds the gear you requested when you use the paddle to shift while in auto. You can see that both lights for manual and auto on the tach are lit up when you do that.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:14 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

This is like asking someone what time it is and they don't even tell you how to build a watch, they tell you to use the Internet to check the national observatory on you smart phone. A simple question - is there a mod for PDK to modify the shift pattern - and not one answer to the question. C'mon guys - I haven't read of anything have you?

This "issue" is what motivated me to move from a 981 to a 991. And I "drove" the 981 but no grunt in daily driving. I just wanted a bit more grunt around town (coming from a BMW550i I was used to more torque). I get the issue. Don't think there is a SW answer or a base 991. Okay - if there aren't any software fixes then all the other suggestions might have value.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:02 PM
RichAA
Racer

virage, I am a fan of the 991 and I think it's cool your wife commutes in yours. I consider it a safe, capable, fun car.

We can all guess why there aren't more software options for the PDK, but I have to believe that when it comes down to it, the argument "at that point they can just switch to manual mode" puts a stop to development.

But here's my point: maybe it would be fun for both of you to get her some instruction and learn more about performance driving so she can get what she wants from the car. It could be a fun day together, and she learns all about shifting the car herself. The fringe benefit would be that she also becomes more aware of what the car can do. I bet your local Audi and Porsche clubs do these events often - wet lane change, panic stops, slalom, etc.

Just a thought. Good luck whatever you decide, and good to 'see' you here.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:46 PM
simplex
Instructor

Originally Posted by RichAA
virage, I am a fan of the 991 and I think it's cool your wife commutes in yours. I consider it a safe, capable, fun car.

We can all guess why there aren't more software options for the PDK, but I have to believe that when it comes down to it, the argument "at that point they can just switch to manual mode" puts a stop to development.

But here's my point: maybe it would be fun for both of you to get her some instruction and learn more about performance driving so she can get what she wants from the car. It could be a fun day together, and she learns all about shifting the car herself. The fringe benefit would be that she also becomes more aware of what the car can do. I bet your local Audi and Porsche clubs do these events often - wet lane change, panic stops, slalom, etc.

Just a thought. Good luck whatever you decide, and good to 'see' you here.
Thank you for your suggestion, Rich. Believe me, I have tried. I am a PCNA member and routinely attend their autocrosses in the Bay Area. I am also member of NASA and NCRC, and I frequent local tracks such as Thunderhill, Laguna Seca and Sonoma (aka Sears point). I have taken my wife to all sorts of these events in hopes to get her interested. But as much as she appreciates and respects my interest in all of this, she does not share it. She enjoys the car's handling and tactile feel, but is not motivated to exploring the art of performance driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PDK reprogam for 991.1