Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Pcar — thoughts, questions, and pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 06:42 AM
BradWelch
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car, sorry you are hitting the back pain issue.

I haven't had any issue with my 991 yet, but I am a short, tubby bastard and I have never had any major back issues across a bunch of different cars with varying degrees of adjustable seats.

In fact the only issue I have had across those cars was when I bought my M3 with its very customizable seats - it caused me a bit of discomfort until I spent a bunch of time tweaking all the lower back bits and pieces.

Was actually worried about having less customizablity on the GTS seats but haven't had any issues with them so far and I have been on some multi-hour drives. No major cross country jaunts yet.

Sorry that this, doesn't help you with your situation, but like I said at the start - nice 911!
Old 05-29-2016, 10:44 PM
carrerafanboy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Leecw
I had the same issue in my 2CS - I am certain it is due to the difference in the seat cushion due to having the ventilated seats (part of the Premium Plus pack)
After about 80 miles of driving my lower back is really sore - since purchasing the following: Amazon.com: GSeat - Orthopedic Memory Foam and Gel Seat Cushion for Back Pain and Sciatica Relief: Health & Personal Care the pain goes away. The seat pad folds nicely in half and can be stored behind the seat.
I remember reading that ventilated seats are quite a bit more firm than non-ventilated. I wonder if the Alcantara seats are the most comfortable in that respect?

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I developed crippling lower back pain splitting driving duties between my Boxster with base seats and a Nissan, the 991 with 14-ways saved me and I'm all better now since I can adjust the lumbar up and down (as far out as it goes) to get right in there and give me support where I need it.
Unfortunately the adjustable lumbar support isn't quite low enough to support my sacral region, even at its lowest setting

Originally Posted by siitech
Congratulations on the beautiful car!

i had a similar low back pain a few years ago from my then new Audi S4 driver's seat, my back would feel hurt after only about 20 minutes of drive. I searched for solution, to make a long story short, I eventually found that what needed fixing was my back but not the seat. Althought at the time I seemed to be doing ok with my BMW seat on long drives, the Audi seat aggrevated and revealed a problem I did not pay attention to, it was not serious, instead of spine, the pain was mostly from ultra tight muscle in my lower back area. I went through several Chiraprators and doctors, benifited most from acupucture treaments, and by doing streching excercises, and I am getting a lot better now. I no longer bothered by the Audi seat for any short drives, and I took several 2 days trips in the car without too much stress.

I know everybody is different, but from my experince it maybe wise to have a check up on your back before modifying your seat. At least try to exercise, stretch, and relax your back. And of course, pay attention to tension on your lower back muscle, try different adjustment and seating position to prevent your muscle from acting up. On the other hand, your back problem maybe very different from mine, so just a suggestion from my experience.

By the way, in my case I found the 14 way driver's seat in the 991 is much more comfortable than the S4's.
You're absolutely right in suggesting that I could be doing more to improve my lower back strength and flexibility. I'll work on that for the next few weeks and report back if I see an improvement

Originally Posted by Dewinator
To piggyback on the exercise thing, I used to do leg day like once a week. Now I do squats and quads Mon + Fri, deads + hammies Weds and calves on Tue + Thurs. Getting stronger has really helped everything stabilize I think, in combination with having lumbar support.
Thank you for the tip! It's been far too long since I stepped foot in the gym — funny that my 911 is the inspiration to get back into it.

Originally Posted by tgcrun
Even with 4 wheel drive, make sure you get a good set of winter tires when you move to the east coast. My wife has them on her 997 4S, and she drives it to work no matter what the weather. My 991 4S with summer tires stays in the garage when it snows.
Thank you, sir! I'll definitely buy a set of snow tires once it heads east.

Originally Posted by Bents
You explained the issue exactly as I see it, in terms of the divot at the rear and that part not being adjustable. I am sorry to say that I haven't found a solution and it has impacted my ability to "bond" with the car as you describe. I keep meaning to try cushion of some kind (may try the GSeat one recommended here) because I stubbornly can't get my mind around having to do this at my age and in a car like this. Please do let me know if shimming the seat rails helps. I've never had an issue with any other car seat.
I'll report back and/or shoot you a PM if shimming the seat rails helps to alleviate the discomfort.

Originally Posted by BradWelch
Beautiful car, sorry you are hitting the back pain issue.

I haven't had any issue with my 991 yet, but I am a short, tubby bastard and I have never had any major back issues across a bunch of different cars with varying degrees of adjustable seats.

In fact the only issue I have had across those cars was when I bought my M3 with its very customizable seats - it caused me a bit of discomfort until I spent a bunch of time tweaking all the lower back bits and pieces.

Was actually worried about having less customizablity on the GTS seats but haven't had any issues with them so far and I have been on some multi-hour drives. No major cross country jaunts yet.

Sorry that this, doesn't help you with your situation, but like I said at the start - nice 911!
Thank you! I sat in and test drove an M3, M4, and M235i before settling on a 911 and found the BMW seats to be very comfortable. Probably because they had a less aggressive faux-bucket design, and it felt like you sat on the seat rather than in it.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:09 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have had my car 6 months/9,000 miles and just recently found the right seat setting. Feels great but lots of tiny adjustments along the way!
In my case, I found front up/bottom forward/rear reclined was the right combo. More declined than my other cars. Seems to move pressure away from lower back and smooth it across butt/mid&upper back. Think pressure points in hammock vs dinner chair.

I have 18 ways, MT and am just over 6 feet FYI.

Don't give up! Or just buy these, but for 991 when avail & on sale! http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/GT2Seats.html

Quick Reply: My first Pcar — thoughts, questions, and pictures!