Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2's with manual transmissions

Old 05-10-2016, 05:14 AM
KeysToHappiness
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long time lurker

Hi all, recently picked up my 991.2 Carrera S MT. First can I say even living in a city, I have no regrets spec'ing the manual. Your choice of gear! (Oh and noise). Whilst I have driven others, unfortunately this hasn't included manuals. Here in Australia they like their pdk's. Do I agree with the long gears..... Not really, the car is designed with a high speed in mind. Therefore for our average roads and people who want to keep their licences, I agree you don't really run the car out. I love the 2nd and 3rd with plenty of pick up to overtake cars quickly. Sports rev matching I thought would be annoying but actually makes light work of 'setting up' your next move. Gearbox is smooth and very short shift (noting previous comment about manuals in AUS). Auto hold on hills is nice, but this is if you stay in gear and I prefer not to sit in gear holding the clutch in. Auto restart if you stalk it is a bonus and auto on/off I have dealt with using 'Individual' mode setting. My 'Individual' includes auto on/off and sports exhaust for daily driving. I think I covered most of the points raised thus far. I'll await the response and I'm sure they will include 'photos' lol. Cheers JJ
Old 05-10-2016, 05:17 AM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's pray this thread doesn't go off of the PDK/MT debate for some reason.

I'm interested in where the clutch pedal takes up. I drove a new 2016 991.1 CS and a new 2016 Boxster S last December when I was trying to decide which I preferred, and I remember noticing the clutch engaged in both cars late in the stroke rather than within the first couple of inches of lifting the pedal. Initially, this seemed a bit odd and different from most cars I've driven with manual transmissions, and certainly different from older Porsches. If any owners of 991.2s or potential owners can comment on their experiences with the new clutch engagement, I'd appreciate it. I'll drive one when I can, but there are none available now.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:22 AM
KeysToHappiness
Track Day

Originally Posted by Mechanic
Let's pray this thread doesn't go off of the PDK/MT debate for some reason.

I'm interested in where the clutch pedal takes up. I drove a new 2016 991.1 CS and a new 2016 Boxster S last December when I was trying to decide which I preferred, and I remember noticing the clutch engaged in both cars late in the stroke rather than within the first couple of inches of lifting the pedal. Initially, this seemed a bit odd and different from most cars I've driven with manual transmissions, and certainly different from older Porsches. If any owners of 991.2s or potential owners can comment on their experiences with the new clutch engagement, I'd appreciate it. I'll drive one when I can, but there are none available now.
I definitely wouldn't have thought it was as late as 'a couple of inches'. I think engagement is low, short range and a light pedal IMO
Old 05-10-2016, 12:38 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I've driven a base .2 carrera and thought that the clutch wasn't far different than on the 991.1 although the ride was for a short 2 mile drive and I did not drive them back to back; days within each other. Two things I did notice were that the clutch did seem a touch softer and that the clutch seemed to have a shorter distance from the idle position to all the way down. From my short drive I couldn't determine if the shifter was any different. I didn't really walk away preferring one or the other I believe they're both excellent manuals and have come a long way towards being user friendly from my beloved 997 S.

Stephen
Old 05-10-2016, 03:04 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Originally Posted by carsnob
You'll love it. The clutch is smoother, and while I didn't think I 'd like the auto engine shut off, it's quite cool in that when you depress the clutch, it restarts and the process is seamless. Plus on a hill, it won't let you roll back, whereby I had though you you'd have to use those handbrake release manoeuvres ( only with the elec. brake).
Shifts are smooth and it's nice to go to a higher speed in first gear ( for those occasions when the up shift wouldn't be warranted.)
Of course the awesome torque at lower rpm's is awesome.
I don't care what pdk lovers say... Yes on the Panny it is very nice, but for a true sports car, this has to be the best MT known to man.
The 991.1 7MT didn't have Hill hold feature? In the PDK it did, wasn't sure there was a difference between the manual and PDK as I would think the manual benefits more from that feature.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:17 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 912 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Stil_1
The 991.1 7MT didn't have Hill hold feature? In the PDK it did, wasn't sure there was a difference between the manual and PDK as I would think the manual benefits more from that feature.
I have a 7MT 991.1 and it does have hill hold. I live in San Francisco, I should know
Old 05-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joec500
I have a 7MT 991.1 and it does have hill hold. I live in San Francisco, I should know
ok that's what I thought whew. Maybe carsnob was referencing a non 991 model car.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
+1, we have hill hold. It's more of a nuisance 90% of the time, though, as it releases way too late IMO (which makes for a newbie-like getaway).
Old 05-10-2016, 06:52 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 991.2's with manual transmissions

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
+1, we have hill hold. It's more of a nuisance 90% of the time, though, as it releases way too late IMO (which makes for a newbie-like getaway).
Yes, it releases too late for my driving syle as well. Good news is that the engine restarts if you stall with the hill assist. Happened to me a few times and the engine restarts on its own. No need to go to the ignition.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:56 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Yes, it releases too late for my driving syle as well. Good news is that the engine restarts if you stall with the hill assist. Happened to me a few times and the engine restarts on its own. No need to go to the ignition.

True. That brings back horrible memories! My '13 C2S was my first manual car, but the first 2-3 times I actually stalled the car were due to hill assist. What caught me off-guard was, like you just said, the auto-restart. Really tripped me out in the middle of downtown LA traffic.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:13 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
True. That brings back horrible memories! My '13 C2S was my first manual car, but the first 2-3 times I actually stalled the car were due to hill assist. What caught me off-guard was, like you just said, the auto-restart. Really tripped me out in the middle of downtown LA traffic.
It restarts so fast that the embarrassment is not an issue. Lol
Old 05-10-2016, 07:45 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I'm curious if the HH feature and release point is software adjustable? Has anyone had their dealer look into it?
Old 05-10-2016, 07:57 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by pfan
I'm curious if the HH feature and release point is software adjustable? Has anyone had their dealer look into it?
It's a nanny for those who aren't affluent in the art of driving a clutch. For those that are it's a nuisance. How does a program judge who is behind the wheel? It has a standard setting, basically a one size fits all. I think the engineering crew should device a program for backward momentum braking. Unless your in reverse the brake is applied. Much better I believe.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:49 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I have owned 3 911s without HH that I have driven in SF comfortably. I now own a 2015 991 GTS MT with HH that is a PIA and I live in Florida. Is there no way to disable this?
Old 05-12-2016, 01:02 AM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenere12
To the new owners of 991.2's with manual transmissions, can you discuss how you like the gearbox and the clutch feel? I have read in a couple of places that they are slightly different than the manual in the 991.1, but is that really true? If so, why did they make a change and is the change for the better?
I took delivery of my MT 991.2 C2S on Mar 15. I have 700 miles on the ODO and this is my first Porsche and first 7 speed MT. I grew up driving 5 speed MT's. The experience with 7 speed is a little frustrating in that I am still learning to choose the right gear when downshifting. Maybe with time and more miles I'll get it right.

In Normal mode the acceleration is like a drawing a slingshot and firing it; low torque until you hit about 2k RPM and serious neck snapping torque & acceleration thereafter. In Sport and Sport Plus mode, the engine idle RPM is higher, keeps the turbo spooled little bit and the slingshot effect is less noticeable. Don't know if the linearity of acceleration / torque delivery any different with PDK.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2's with manual transmissions