Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will the size of the next 911 be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:04 PM
The Diplomat
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What will the size of the next 911 be?

I came across this article:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-911-spy-shots

And looking from the spy shots, it appears as though the next generation 911 will be bigger. At least the tracks will be wider.

This comes to a philosophical question, should they make it bigger? Is it really necessary?

I often watch Matt Farah's reviews and everytime he drives the latest generation 911, he mentions that it physically feels like a big car. Not on the road at speed, but at parking.

Will Porsche make it bigger overall or will they just widen the front and wheel tracks? I'm hoping for the latter one.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-28-2016, 01:42 PM
bogdan_p
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's gonna be yuuuuge

The 911 has been growing in size and refinement ever since it came out. Will it be bigger, faster, more refined, and more expensive? Probably. I would guess that part of it is going to depend on safety/emissions standards as well as profitability.

I think there have been enough 911's made throughout time that everyone could be happy, whether it's a small 2wd naturally aspirated car, or a awd turbo watercooled rocket.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:44 PM
fansonly
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Couldn't this be some sort of new GT variant? or even the GTS of the 991.2?
Old 04-28-2016, 01:48 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by The Diplomat
I came across this article:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-911-spy-shots

And looking from the spy shots, it appears as though the next generation 911 will be bigger. At least the tracks will be wider.

This comes to a philosophical question, should they make it bigger? Is it really necessary?

I often watch Matt Farah's reviews and everytime he drives the latest generation 911, he mentions that it physically feels like a big car. Not on the road at speed, but at parking.

Will Porsche make it bigger overall or will they just widen the front and wheel tracks? I'm hoping for the latter one.

What do you guys think?

I think it will be a bit wider based on the spy shots and speculation that the next 911 will have a hybrid option. You can see the wider fenders in some of the spy shots.

Originally Posted by fansonly
Couldn't this be some sort of new GT variant? or even the GTS of the 991.2?

Doubt it. The GTS variant is a 2017 model and a done deal. They are way past testing any mules for that car. Probably the same body as the 991.2 C4S.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:53 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Edit: Never mind I am an idiot

Boy they really don't want us seeing those wheel arches.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The 911 has been developing into a GT car to separate it from the lighter more nimble Boxter and Cayman. The 911 is a powerful and great handling roadcar for those who don't need the Panamera's four doors nor do they need to load a soccer team in a Cayenne.
I am leaning towards being interested in a hybrid . . . silent electric power for my less than 5 mile trips around town in heavy traffic, but a nasty flat-six howl entering onramps on road trips or anytime traffic clears. I am starting to like the auto-start silence when waiting at long traffic lights. Could prove best of both worlds . . . like the smooth highway cruise with my "resting while going straight" PDCC.
I'll see whether I still am facinated with electric cars when my warranty is up on my 2015 C2S in late 2018.
Of course I am now an old geezer at age 68 who causes the youngsters in my neighborhood to shake their heads muttering "what a waste on that old coot" when looking at my two Porsches and an Austin-Healey 3000 in my garage!
Old 04-28-2016, 03:16 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

You haven't seen the pics yet? The 992 will be lengthened to accommodate hybrid drivetrain and extra doors added for passenger comfort. Behold the 2020 992:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._Genf_1215.JPG
Old 04-28-2016, 05:39 PM
The Diplomat
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's gonna be yuuuuge
I think it will be a bit wider based on the spy shots and speculation that the next 911 will have a hybrid option.
I can understand that they would want to strech it, I hope they can still have a good proportion.

The 911 has been developing into a GT car to separate it from the lighter more nimble Boxter and Cayman.

I agree with that asessment, it's like with BMW with M2 being the more fun and small (being the "new" E46 M3) and the M3/M4 being the more stable and GT like.

An Austin Healey! That is one great little sportscar!

You haven't seen the pics yet? The 992 will be lengthened to accommodate hybrid drivetrain and extra doors added for passenger comfort. Behold the 2020 992:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._Genf_1215.JPG

Hahah, yeah I hope it won't be thaaat bad

(I like the Panamera, at least the next gen I will like, they can't get worse).

Quick Reply: What will the size of the next 911 be?