Sponsored by:

991.2 C2S Test drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:25 AM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by vtgt
Curious what they do to the 991.2 GTS...
Easy.
Couple of inches wider at the back and +20-30 BHP by way of more boost (same 3.0 TT engine).
Add a GTS badge and charge a few $$$$ more and hey presto job done!
Old 04-20-2016, 07:29 AM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Haha yup and yup to last attended of last to posts. I'll reserve judgement till driving but odds are I will agree to that ��
Old 04-20-2016, 08:53 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 533 Posts

all companies must consult with AMG reference sound
I owned a c63 AMG with NA engine, and currently drive a E63 with twin turbo engine. I can tell you they both sound glorious and I , and I bet most people, will not be able to tell if one car is turbo charged vs NA. Why other companies including Porsche can't copy that ?
Old 04-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Senna01
Instructor

Originally Posted by pitt911
all companies must consult with AMG reference sound
I owned a c63 AMG with NA engine, and currently drive a E63 with twin turbo engine. I can tell you they both sound glorious and I , and I bet most people, will not be able to tell if one car is turbo charged vs NA. Why other companies including Porsche can't copy that ?
Agree some of the AMG's have an amazing soundtrack.

Friend of mine had an SLS demonstrator for a weekend and it sounded like a Spitfire plane. Amazing!

Unfortunately it sounded insanely loud ALL the time and by the time the weekend was done the novelty wore off and actually that was one of the things that put him off the car in the end. He ended up with a 911 Turbo S.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:29 AM
vtgt
Pro

The above is extremely correct but part of that is displacement tho right ;-) 6.3 or 5.0 or whatever v8/v12 etc plus turbos helps vs. 3.0 turbo. I will say the s4 with 3.0 and supercharger sounds decent by again not turbo and muffled. Let's see what the new rs4 and rs3 sound like. The 5 cyl turbos from Audi on he s
Old 04-20-2016, 09:33 AM
robbie9999
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Senna01
Yes and no. As is often the case, each time a new 911 is launched, there is always a lot of poison thrown around. And yet when the dust settles 6 months or a year later, the vast majority are in agreement that the new model is miles better than the last. And why wouldn't it be with Porsche putting so much money (and their necks) on the line!

I don't think I've seen any jealousy here, and I'm certainly not assuming there is any. However what I do see is resentment from some (not all).

Remember that folks who dished out over 100k not too long ago are looking at getting another 40k-50k sucked out of them to keep up so you can understand the negatively from folks who consciously or unconsciously try to convince themselves that their car is somehow better, with some naively claiming the new car to be a downgrade in most departments.

Obviously they can't go against facts/performance figures so the next port of call is the self delusion that somehow the old gen car which is slower in a straight line and on the track is a more enjoyable drive due to it having more soul, emotion or similar rubbish.

I have no problem with folks wanting to keep their 40-50k and not wanting to move on. Do what I did and skip a few gens (less painful to the wallet and mind).

I just wish they'd stop churning out nonsensical negativity with regard to the new car.

Simply put, this is the best 911 ever made until the new one comes along in a few years. After which the whole merry-go-round will start again
Spot on mate !! When the new gen comes out in 2020 our's will be out dated and "slow" lol, not to mention the mad depreciation, it's life. But the bashing is so funny, 991.2 car is a weapon, and in every way a mad improvement . Soul ? Little Dif in sound ? Really ?
For me 964 Best Porsche hands down. maybe 991.2 second but I need to add a 964, after I pay off the 991.2 in 64 years
Old 04-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't belong to the "it's faster therefore it's better crowd" (after all if that's the case go buy a z06 and save money while getting a better car) but I am curious how much faster it really is than the .1 GTS it replaces. The GTS has more power and less weight, unlike the 997.2 GTS to 991S where power went down by 8 hp but weight went down as well.

Obviously the .2 feels much faster with gobs of torque at lower RPM, and Porsche's times quoted by marketting are going to be lower no matter what the true figures are; being able to do that is one reason why they quote such conservative times.

I haven't seen any true instrumented tests by R&T, C&D or the like yet. Shouldn't Porsche have given them a car for enough time to do a full test by now?
Old 04-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Senna01
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I don't belong to the "it's faster therefore it's better crowd" (after all if that's the case go buy a z06 and save money
Agreed...or a Nissan GTR with its horrible quality cabin.....although I wouldn't like to sit in either cabin, which by the way is where we do our driving, as I consider the interior of the 911 to be a far nicer place to be in.

I did mention the words 'best all rounder' in one of my posts which is what I believe the car to be.

I am curious how much faster it really is than the .1 GTS it replaces. The GTS has more power and less weight, unlike the 997.2 GTS to 991S where power went down by 8 hp but weight went down as well.
I don't think we need to worry about +/-8 BHP.
Driver reaction times, minus or plus....would make this a non talking point anyway.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:59 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

I don't think we need to worry about +/-8 BHP.
Driver reaction times, minus or plus....would make this a non talking point anyway.
I agree... but that would suggest that going from a .1 GTS to a .2S is probably in the "feels much faster driven normally but very similar when driven flat out" category.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:03 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree... but that would suggest that going from a .1 GTS to a .2S is probably in the "feels much faster driven normally but very similar when driven flat out" category.
One slight edge is the availability of RWS in the S. If I had a 16 GTS there would not be enough gain to make me trade. In my case I passed on the GTS for the .2 when I traded my 13 C2S Cab. That was a worthwhile trade for me.

In the end it is all subjective. You have to hate your money to buy any of these useless cars.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:51 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by petee1997
In the end it is all subjective. You have to hate your money to buy any of these useless cars.
True... I don't hate money, it just doesn't make me happy, whereas driving the 911 does.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:00 PM
vtgt
Pro

True... I don't hate money, it just doesn't make me happy, whereas driving the 911 does.
Quote of the year
Old 04-20-2016, 09:22 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes and no. As is often the case, each time a new 911 is launched, there is always a lot of poison thrown around. And yet when the dust settles 6 months or a year later, the vast majority are in agreement that the new model is miles better than the last. And why wouldn't it be with Porsche putting so much money (and their necks) on the line!

I don't think I've seen any jealousy here, and I'm certainly not assuming there is any. However what I do see is resentment from some (not all).

Remember that folks who dished out over 100k not too long ago are looking at getting another 40k-50k sucked out of them to keep up so you can understand the negatively from folks who consciously or unconsciously try to convince themselves that their car is somehow better, with some naively claiming the new car to be a downgrade in most departments.

Obviously they can't go against facts/performance figures so the next port of call is the self delusion that somehow the old gen car which is slower in a straight line and on the track is a more enjoyable drive due to it having more soul, emotion or similar rubbish.

I have no problem with folks wanting to keep their 40-50k and not wanting to move on. Do what I did and skip a few gens (less painful to the wallet and mind).

I just wish they'd stop churning out nonsensical negativity with regard to the new car.

Simply put, this is the best 911 ever made until the new one comes along in a few years. After which the whole merry-go-round will start again
I believe your gross generalization is not applicable in the current update of 991.2.
The biggest and essentially only real mechanical difference is the new engine, and RWS. Clearly a FI application changes the character of the car that may not be to the liking of everyone, to call it the classic people with the now "old car" bitching about the "new car" scenario is misguided and a simplification of the facts.
Almost everyone who presented a review of the new car started by asking the obvious question, is the new engine up to par with the beloved flat 6?? Being skeptical is natural and right in many instances such as this as few things will be lost in order of gains in other areas.
For my part, I had no intention of buying a car at this time but I rushed to pick a 16 before it was too late after knowing what was coming, could have easily waited a few months and get a new CS for less money than my GTS.
The reality of it is that an atmospheric engine has its own character and attributes, all that torque and speed is over rated IMO, having driven a 911 Turbo, I knew I did not want one and the new CS is no better than the big brother Turbo as that car is better than the new CS in every way as you like put it.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:20 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Agreed...or a Nissan GTR with its horrible quality cabin.....although I wouldn't like to sit in either cabin, which by the way is where we do our driving, as I consider the interior of the 911 to be a far nicer place to be in...........I don't think we need to worry about +/-8 BHP.
agreed....it's not all about power/speed, you still have to like the overall car and experience, unless you're talking about the same car (essentially).

speaking of minuses and pluses,

Originally Posted by petee1997
+1 (except for the useless part)

-1 (please send a check in the amount of the monies that cause you unhappiness)

Old 04-21-2016, 06:05 AM
Mcx
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Torque curves on turbocharged motors are very deceiving, since you need to have maximum load on the motor to replicate anything close to them (i.e. going uphill in a high gear). Otherwise you will never see max torque at under 2k rpm...

Unlike a simple two dimensional graph of torque vs. rpm with an NA motor, you almost need a third variable (engine load) to get a good picture of the available torque.
Interesting point, I'd never really thought about it like that..

Quick Reply: 991.2 C2S Test drive