Sponsored by:

991.2 C2S Test drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 06:19 AM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I own NA Porsches plus have now had over a week's seat time in 991.2 S both on the road, on the track at Leipzig and on ice in Finland. So I possibly have more diverse seat time than anybody else on this forum and I can categorically tell you that the only dimension missing is the sound. For sure that 991.1 is better in that area, but the 991.2 is still good. Different but good.

In all other dimensions, the 991.2 is the superior car....by a long way. For some people, the sound and the emotion that goes with the 991.1 will override everything else, but if you want to buy the best car, it's the 991.2.
Completely agree with you Chris.

The 991.2 is a major step forward and without doubt a better all round drivers car. Being in my late 50's I really don't have a problem with the quietness of the new car. In fact I prefer the more refined nature of the .2.

Since my last post I have actually ordered a C2S in metallic black with PDK, PSE and all the goodies (delivery will be early September).

Whilst 991 gen 1 owners would probably get away without PSE, on the quieter .2 I think PSE is a must. When the need for sound arises just hit PSE or Sport button and unleash.

Couple of other notes from my fairly long test drive the other day compared to the 991 C2S which I drove to the dealer and back.

Steering feel was a little better on the .2, but not night and day.

For all the kicking and screaming after the 991's switch to electro-mechanical steering when it was first launched, I really didn't see a huge problem to this particular change.

The .1's steering feel is still better than 99% of road cars out there IMO, and remember I come from almost 5 years of owning and driving my 997.2 PDK with the so called 'psychic steering' lol.

I think the moaning and groaning we are seeing with the launch of the new car is really par for the course and another classic example for some of the so called 'purists' out there.

Each time the 911 evolves (and most changes are major steps forward in my view), it seems to evoke outrage with some running around screaming blue murder. Do we really expect Porsche to stand still and let their competition overtake them or should we go back in time?

Some nostalgic purists who have $200-300k USD to burn can always throw their money Singers way.... if they felt inclined. One old-look 911 for the price of two new ones......makes no sense to me but good luck if it works for you.

Whilst we know Porsche also make changes to the cars for financial and marketing gain, at the same time there is no doubt that the cars are pushed forward in terms of overall performance/drivability and for the most part re-engineered for the better of the brand/model and for the comfort of the buyers.

I've got a fairly lengthy 911 history and some stuff I read just doesn't make sense.

The most common comment I've read with each new 911 is this.
'The 911 has gone from a pure sports car into a GT (grand tourer).

Er...no........It was never either, not 50 years ago and not in 2016.

If you want to rattle around in a noisy sports car with leach like handling and telepathic steering go get yourself a Caterham seven. By definition this was a classic sports car 50 years ago and in 2016. However good luck taking the wife out for dinner in that!

http://uk.caterhamcars.com/cars

You want a classic example of a GT car, 50 years ago and in 2016. Look no further than the Mercedes SL.

What draws me and why I signed up to the 911 for many years is its Swiss army like ability to offer a decent level of comfort, great sports car like performance, handling and drivability.

If there is a better all rounder than the 911 I've not come across it!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:40 AM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Senna01

The 991.2 is a major step forward and without doubt a better all round drivers car. Being in my late 50's I really don't have a problem with the quietness of the new car. In fact I prefer the more refined nature of the .2.

Since my last post I have actually ordered a C2S in metallic black with PDK, PSE and all the goodies (delivery will be early September).

Whilst 991 gen 1 owners would probably get away without PSE, on the quieter .2 I think PSE is a must. When the need for sound arises just hit PSE or Sport button and unleash.

Couple of other notes from my fairly long test drive the other day compared to the 991 C2S which I drove to the dealer and back.

For all the kicking and screaming after the 991's switch to electro-mechanical steering when it was first launched, I really didn't see a huge problem to this particular change.

The .1's steering feel is still better than 99% of road cars out there IMO, and remember I come from almost 5 years of owning and driving my 997.2 PDK with the so called 'psychic steering' lol.

I think the moaning and groaning we are seeing with the launch of the new car is really par for the course and another classic example for some of the so called 'purists' out there.

Each time the 911 evolves (and most changes are major steps forward in my view), it seems to evoke outrage with some running around screaming blue murder. Do we really expect Porsche to stand still and let their competition overtake them or should we go back in time?

Some nostalgic purists who have $200-300k USD to burn can always throw their money Singers way.... if they felt inclined. One old-look 911 for the price of two new ones......makes no sense to me but good luck if it works for you.

Whilst we know Porsche also make changes to the cars for financial and marketing gain, at the same time there is no doubt that the cars are pushed forward in terms of overall performance/drivability and for the most part re-engineered for the better of the brand/model and for the comfort of the buyers.

I've got a fairly lengthy 911 history and some stuff I read just doesn't make sense.

If you want to rattle around in a noisy sports car with leach like handling and telepathic steering go get yourself a Caterham seven. By definition this was a classic sports car 50 years ago and in 2016. However good luck taking the wife out for dinner in that!

You want a classic example of a GT car, 50 years ago and in 2016. Look no further than the Mercedes SL.

What draws me and why I signed up to the 911 for many years is its Swiss army like ability to offer a decent level of comfort, great sports car like performance, handling and drivability.

Swiss Army knife /thread I wanted to hate the 991.2 but after reading reviews and seeing it the other day I understand. With that said which car is more fun to drive slower and still gives you chills down your spine. I actually like driving older slower cars that are more fun at legal and below speeds. That said I can still see this in the garage as a baby turbo daily in a handful of years
Old 04-19-2016, 08:11 AM
DTup
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

So just throwing my two cents in, having just picked up my 991.2 C2S pdk cab on Saturday ..... This car is batsh*t crazy good. It just is. There is immense emotion in this car, and I'm coming from two 991.1s and two 997.1s in a row so it's not as if I don't have stuff to compare to ..... It's not as emotional as my Vantage GT, but that's because I'm attached to the AM brand and the rawness of the car, but taking emotion out of it, no one can credibly say the 991.1S is anywhere near as good as this .... It's faster when it matters, the new design cues are great in person, the new steering wheel and sport response button are great, you can actually notice the rear wheel steering when doing parking lot maneuvers, etc ...... It's just much better, faster and more responsive ..... If you desperately want to find turbo lag, have at it (funny how that was never a complaint with the 991 Turbo), but similarly, this car is faster when a normal person needs it to be and that's a mighty fine trade in my humble opinion

As a side note, the turbo exhausts in the rear low side fenders are a great look!!
Old 04-19-2016, 08:56 AM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

I'm curious if people who don't use the big brother turbo power will even bother with a 991.2 TT? Were you coming from S or turbos in 997 and 991.1 form?
Old 04-19-2016, 09:07 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DTup
So just throwing my two cents in, having just picked up my 991.2 C2S pdk cab on Saturday ..... This car is batsh*t crazy good. It just is. There is immense emotion in this car, and I'm coming from two 991.1s and two 997.1s in a row so it's not as if I don't have stuff to compare to ..... It's not as emotional as my Vantage GT, but that's because I'm attached to the AM brand and the rawness of the car, but taking emotion out of it, no one can credibly say the 991.1S is anywhere near as good as this .... It's faster when it matters, the new design cues are great in person, the new steering wheel and sport response button are great, you can actually notice the rear wheel steering when doing parking lot maneuvers, etc ...... It's just much better, faster and more responsive ..... If you desperately want to find turbo lag, have at it (funny how that was never a complaint with the 991 Turbo), but similarly, this car is faster when a normal person needs it to be and that's a mighty fine trade in my humble opinion

As a side note, the turbo exhausts in the rear low side fenders are a great look!!

Each legacy generation of owners always hates on the new iteration in the Porsche world. Technology is rapidly evolving faster and faster so of course the new one is better in every quantifiable way!

I've said it many times... The purists will only agree on liking one new P car and it's made by Singer.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:31 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by joshg120
It's funny to me how wide of a spectrum we are getting as far as reviews on the 991.2 are concerned. I think current 991.1 owners are injecting a strong personal bias into their reviews and seemingly criticizing almost all aspects of the cars and downplaying indisputable upgrades such as the infotainment system. The people who are coming into it with an open mind and driving the car seem to be pretty impressed with the car and enjoy the new features and design elements. It would be really tough for me to make an opinion on the car based on the reviews i've read on this forum.
Not sure this is accurate. I came into my test drive yesterday with a very open mind. But in the end I simply prefer my .1 GTS over the .2 C2S.

The same thing happened when I tested the new X5 with "more power". They changed the cars suspension to a more cushiony ride. They changed the body style. Yes it was faster but overall the enjoyment of my 2013 X5 outweighed the perceived benefits of the newer/better/faster/redesigned model.

Let's not forget that the only reason the 911 base, S and future GTS went turbo is due to gov and EPA regulations as mentioned in the recent WSJ article.

The .2 is a great car. No doubt about it, but the Rennlist reviews are very similar to the expert reviews that everyone has been privy to. Great car, great performance but.....
Old 04-19-2016, 10:32 AM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto!!!
Old 04-19-2016, 10:38 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Lotus 400s is better. Support is another story... Don't laugh until you've driven one.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:43 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Each legacy generation of owners always hates on the new iteration in the Porsche world. Technology is rapidly evolving faster and faster so of course the new one is better in every quantifiable way!

I've said it many times... The purists will only agree on liking one new P car and it's made by Singer.
Meh. Of course, it's never that simple. Buying a car is emotional and there's more to it than numbers on paper, nor is the new car always 'better' than the last, even in a semi-consensus definition of that word.

There have been many new models of cars I've disliked relative to the prior generation and many I've liked, as I'm sure many others have. As ridiculous as it is for someone to simply hate the 'new' thing, it's equally ridiculous to assume that anyone who dislikes it is simply jealous. An Aventador is better in every quantifiable way than any of my Porsches, but I'd have zero interest in driving one instead of them, at any cost. The bashing both ways is nonsense.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Meh. Of course, it's never that simple. Buying a car is emotional and there's more to it than numbers on paper, nor is the new car always 'better' than the last, even in a semi-consensus definition of that word. There have been many new models of cars I've disliked relative to the prior generation and many I've liked, as I'm sure many others have. As ridiculous as it is for someone to simply hate the 'new' thing, it's equally ridiculous to assume that anyone who dislikes it is simply jealous. An Aventador is better in every quantifiable way than any of my Porsches, but I'd have zero interest in driving one instead of them, at any cost. The bashing both ways is nonsense.
Archimedes...I could have not said it any better...Cheers
Old 04-19-2016, 03:04 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Meh. Of course, it's never that simple. Buying a car is emotional and there's more to it than numbers on paper, nor is the new car always 'better' than the last, even in a semi-consensus definition of that word.

There have been many new models of cars I've disliked relative to the prior generation and many I've liked, as I'm sure many others have. As ridiculous as it is for someone to simply hate the 'new' thing, it's equally ridiculous to assume that anyone who dislikes it is simply jealous. An Aventador is better in every quantifiable way than any of my Porsches, but I'd have zero interest in driving one instead of them, at any cost. The bashing both ways is nonsense.
agreed - it's all relative. For me the 3.8 is a joy to drive coming from a boosted V8 with gobs of torque (enough to put the new 3.0tt to shame) in any gear - any rpm. R8 was the other car I was looking at - perhaps the Huracan but that was a stretch at my income... the 991.1 was purchased to have the most fun and I had the instant acceleration out of system; likely because of my previous car. The hyper italian cars have no back seat and less trunk/frunk space. This is important for ME due to luggage capacity and ability to enjoy with my better half. Also the wife doesn't appreciate the open valve exhaust on my car as it is...

That being said - I do believe the 3.8 has more than enough torque if you're in the right gear! We can debate this to infinity but Porsche needs to sell volume to the masses in order to remain sustainable and the 3.0tt is a better car for the masses. If I was to have one as my primary car, the .2 would be my preference. Anyone fortunate enough to have either generation is blessed but I truly do believe that if the purpose is to have an experience behind the wheel the .1 is better. if the purpose is to commute then the .2 is a better choice.

Either car is beyond my driving capability...
Old 04-20-2016, 04:33 AM
Senna01
Instructor

if the purpose is to have an experience behind the wheel the .1 is better. if the purpose is to commute then the .2 is a better choice.
We have big red buses over here for commuting

My order for a .2 is solely based on the fact that it's a better car than any .1 (including the GTS) in every circumstance IMO

Either car is beyond my driving capability...
Ditto!
Old 04-20-2016, 06:55 AM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Curious what they do to the 991.2 GTS...
Old 04-20-2016, 07:00 AM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

porsche is adapting with the epa and cafe standards it's really marketing genius overall. Hell I bet we see 918 config trickle down into this next gen or follow 911 turbo or turbo s. Like a mini hyper car.

Technology is cool and a car enthusiast will appreciate all cars but not love them all, I for one am an enthusiast and a (recovering) pursuits so I would go with the most emotional and raw experience. And a car can be a turbo and be raw, soul, and engaging which some may disagree with me on but just compare the 911 turbo through the ages 993tt vs 991 tt ;-) everything has pros and cons but the impressive part is Porsche attempting to maintain as much soul as possible with evolution of tech while appealing to the masses. You still know your driving a Porsche.This is great because it will fund the 991 R, GT cars, 918 etc that we all love

Will revert once I have driven a few :-)

As an aside I have a 957 GTS and after driving countless 958.2 with the turbo config I would never buy one as I felt too isolated and Honeslty it just wasn't fun or special to drive. The .2 would rape my car on most levels but as someone said above the numbers and what's on paper do not make a purchase your emotional connection does. When my cayenne gets to 250k I still will not sell but I will upgrade to a 958.1 with the v8. I have no issue to add a 958.2 cayenne turbo s but again different experience .

Also I had both Previous gen s6 and m5 with v10, you could not wipe the sh&t eating grin off my face after driving the cars every time. I then drove both of the new versions and The were great but lacked all soul (I will add both of these cars back to the collection at some point). But bottom line At least Porsche maintains much of the similar driving experience...done rambling but hopefully you get it.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:19 AM
Senna01
Instructor

There have been many new models of cars I've disliked relative to the prior generation and many I've liked, as I'm sure many others have.
Yes and no. As is often the case, each time a new 911 is launched, there is always a lot of poison thrown around. And yet when the dust settles 6 months or a year later, the vast majority are in agreement that the new model is miles better than the last. And why wouldn't it be with Porsche putting so much money (and their necks) on the line!

As ridiculous as it is for someone to simply hate the 'new' thing, it's equally ridiculous to assume that anyone who dislikes it is simply jealous.
I don't think I've seen any jealousy here, and I'm certainly not assuming there is any. However what I do see is resentment from some (not all).

Remember that folks who dished out over 100k not too long ago are looking at getting another 40k-50k sucked out of them to keep up so you can understand the negatively from folks who consciously or unconsciously try to convince themselves that their car is somehow better, with some naively claiming the new car to be a downgrade in most departments.

Obviously they can't go against facts/performance figures so the next port of call is the self delusion that somehow the old gen car which is slower in a straight line and on the track is a more enjoyable drive due to it having more soul, emotion or similar rubbish.

I have no problem with folks wanting to keep their 40-50k and not wanting to move on. Do what I did and skip a few gens (less painful to the wallet and mind).

I just wish they'd stop churning out nonsensical negativity with regard to the new car.

Simply put, this is the best 911 ever made until the new one comes along in a few years. After which the whole merry-go-round will start again

Last edited by Senna01; 04-20-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 C2S Test drive