Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever heard of this? (vid)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 10:54 PM
Pitocin
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Anyone ever heard of this? (vid)

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue with this. My car has developed a kind of squeak/rubbing sound that seems to come from the lower dash/steering column. I've read some other complaints about noises from this area but they seem to be more dependent on moving the steering wheel while my sound is completely independent. It was not as apparent in the cold weather but now things are warming up in Florida it is happening daily.

It occurs when the car is moving but also can occur when the car is at idle. In person, it sounds like 2 balloons are rubbing against each other. No change with putting weight on the steering wheel or not touching it. No change with moving the wheel either. I can usually isolate a squeek/rattle by pressing on various panels but every panel I've pushed on has no effect on the noise. It's starting to drove me insane

Anyone else experience something similar? I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because I wanted to get a rough idea on what it may be so I can give some guidance on what may need to be done. My car is in its CPO warranty now. I've read the CPO warranty may not cover this type of complaint; is that true?

Here are two videos that show the sound I'm talking about.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=484E60F397FBE8D5!989&authkey=!AM3uwtnhIXHlnUI&ithint=video%2 cmp4

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=video%2cmp4

Thanks for taking a look!
Old 04-14-2016, 01:31 AM
dogshyne
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

i had a weird sound similar to that but it is intermittent and rare. not sure if its the same sound.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:39 AM
Maketrax
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

No idea ...that brake squeal sounds very familiar though!
Old 04-14-2016, 01:50 AM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you seen this? It might apply to your situation.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9267...esolution.html
Old 04-14-2016, 09:19 AM
Pitocin
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely have to bring up that gas tank foam pad issue. Can anyone that had this fixed confirm its the same sound?

The brake squeal isn't even that bad in the video. I get a squeal but sometimes I get a HOWL that is really loud. Usually I wash the car every weekend and then will start to hear it again come Wednesday. I just tried spraying the rims/calipers yesterday with the hose after getting home and had a quiet ride this morning...I wonder if this will bridge me to the weekend. Add it to the list of quirks I put up with to drive this car
Old 04-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Maketrax
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitocin
The brake squeal isn't even that bad in the video. I get a squeal but sometimes I get a HOWL that is really loud. Usually I wash the car every weekend and then will start to hear it again come Wednesday. I just tried spraying the rims/calipers yesterday with the hose after getting home and had a quiet ride this morning...I wonder if this will bridge me to the weekend. Add it to the list of quirks I put up with to drive this car
I have the same problem with brake squeal . I've tried hard braking and it helps for a short while but, in the end, it hasn't been that bad so i'll live with it. Mine seems to be worse in cold temps. On warmer days I don't get it as much.

Good luck tracking down that interior squeak.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:19 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds similar to the noise my car made that was due to a bad upper strut mount. However, I didn't have the noise unless the car was moving.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

That is clearly a rubbing noise, dealer should be able to track it down!
Old 04-27-2016, 11:32 PM
Pitocin
Advanced

Took it to the dealer on Monday and called today. Apparently they haven't done anything for the past 2 days and then try to tell me it's because the AC is rapidly cooling the plastic in the car and making it squeak and I'm all set to come pickup the car.

I told them it is not normal and it will happen even if the AC is off. So now they are going to try to look at it again. When I dropped off the car the service dept manager came out and rode in the car and literally said he has never heard that sound before. Ugh.

Anyone else have any ideas as to what's going on?
Old 04-28-2016, 12:02 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

.... then try to tell me it's because the AC is rapidly cooling the plastic in the car and making it squeak ......
That has to be the lamest excuse I've heard in a long time.

Must be driving through liquid nitrogen.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:21 PM
drdiaboloco
Intermediate

Did you get any resolution?

I have the exact same sound and symptoms. The car is brand new to me and I didn't notice this when test driving and it is fabulously annoying... but simpy turning on the radio makes it unnoticeable.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:02 PM
TheEngineer
Instructor

Could it be coming from the seatbelt? https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8969...lt-creaks.html
Old 06-06-2016, 11:17 PM
drdiaboloco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Could it be coming from the seatbelt? https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8969...lt-creaks.html
No, it's coming from the vicinity of the steering column/underdash area.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:03 AM
rye595
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely have to bring up that gas tank foam pad issue. Can anyone that had this fixed confirm its the same sound?

I'm the one who posted that thread that was referenced. It's tough to tell from the video, but that could be the same noise. It sounded kind of like a creaking sound - I kept thinking the windshield was loose or something. Take it in and mention that fuel tank issue - there's a bulletin on it they'll be able to find.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever heard of this? (vid)