Sponsored by:

Porsche Battery Charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:10 PM
CChung
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Porsche Battery Charger

I just got the factory battery charger for my GTS that connects to the cigarette lighter. After half an hour apparently the power to the cigarette lighter turns off so the charger won't be charging the battery and I get the blinking power light. Is this normal or is there something I can do about this? I feel it's unacceptable that I have to turn the ignition on every half hour to get the battery charger to work. Thanks for any replies.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:38 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not normal. I use the oem charger in the center console cigarette lighter socket and it has stayed active for weeks at a time with no issues or need to fiddle with ignition, locking/unlocking, etc to keep it hot.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by CChung
I just got the factory battery charger for my GTS that connects to the cigarette lighter. After half an hour apparently the power to the cigarette lighter turns off so the charger won't be charging the battery and I get the blinking power light. Is this normal or is there something I can do about this? I feel it's unacceptable that I have to turn the ignition on every half hour to get the battery charger to work. Thanks for any replies.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7319...-question.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...e-charger.html https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...on-issues.html
Old 04-07-2016, 02:43 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to connect the charger to the socket in the passenger footwell. That's the only socket that remains active and doesn't shut off after 30 minutes.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:57 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by reuben991
You need to connect the charger to the socket in the passenger footwell. That's the only socket that remains active and doesn't shut off after 30 minutes.
Either socket works for me on my 2015 GTS. I think he might just not have the adapter plug fully inserted into the 12V socket.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:00 PM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used both sockets over different winters, no issues.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Either socket works for me on my 2015 GTS. I think he might just not have the adapter plug fully inserted into the 12V socket.
+1, seems like installer error as either socket should work
Old 04-07-2016, 04:43 PM
CChung
Advanced

So I have to get an adapter to use in the cigarette lighter or 12v plugs? I just inserted it into the lighter w/o any adapter. I thought the charger was meant to be used in the 12V plugs or lighter without needing an adapter. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:03 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

So I have to get an adapter to use in the cigarette lighter or 12v plugs? I just inserted it into the lighter w/o any adapter. I thought the charger was meant to be used in the 12V plugs or lighter without needing an adapter. Thanks for all the replies.
Maybe I confused you with my choice of words. The "plug" that you insert into the 12V adapter is what I was referring to as the adapter for the 12V socket. Just make sure you have it fully inserted into the socket. When I first got mine, I was not fully inserting it completely into the socket and I had an issue similar to what you are describing.

If the design of the plug that you insert into the socket is the same as mine, and as far as I know it hasn't changed, there are two flimsy black tabs on the sides of the adapter near the end of it. I had those break off on mine on two different chargers. I took them back to my dealer and they gave me a new one each time. When they broke off on the third, I just kept using it since it works fine without them. However, if one breaks off and drops down into the socket, that can also cause a faulty connection and give you a flashing light. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:34 PM
CChung
Advanced

Maybe I confused you with my choice of words. The "plug" that you insert into the 12V adapter is what I was referring to as the adapter for the 12V socket. Just make sure you have it fully inserted into the socket. When I first got mine, I was not fully inserting it completely into the socket and I had an issue similar to what you are describing.

If the design of the plug that you insert into the socket is the same as mine, and as far as I know it hasn't changed, there are two flimsy black tabs on the sides of the adapter near the end of it. I had those break off on mine on two different chargers. I took them back to my dealer and they gave me a new one each time. When they broke off on the third, I just kept using it since it works fine without them. However, if one breaks off and drops down into the socket, that can also cause a faulty connection and give you a flashing light. Ask me how I know.

Thanks for your help! I think I found the problem, I wasn't using the orange cap that fits on top of the plug. I thought it was just a protective cap that you remove. i thought the plug fitted poorly in the socket but with the orange cap on it the plug fits snugly. I hope now the car sees the socket is being used so it won't shut off after half an hour. I hope this does the trick!
After using the cigarette lighter and the passenger footwell 12V outlet the same thing seems to be happening, I get the blinking power light after half an hour. What can i do now?

Last edited by CChung; 04-07-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:18 AM
CChung
Advanced

According to the the owner's manual, page 207, the car interrupts power to the sockets after 30 minutes to protect the battery. You have to turn the ignition on to restore power to the sockets. Even the manual that comes with the charger mentions this as a problem when you get the blinking power light. So the car is doing what it supposed to do as is the battery charger. It appears then the charger is not compatible with my 2016 GTS. Has anyone with a 2016 have the same problem and are 2015s the same way?
Old 04-08-2016, 12:29 AM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
I've used both sockets over different winters, no issues.
Ditto. I think this is the second or third thread I've seen where owners are saying '30 minutes and it's changing to sleep mode'.

Are you guys using this?

Old 04-08-2016, 06:56 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

This may sound silly, but maybe worth a try. On my old base car, I had same blinking light issue with my Deltran trickler. I'd plug it in the center console and got blinking lights. Blinking lights went away when I locked the door after plugging in the trickler. Maybe give that a shot?
Old 04-08-2016, 11:48 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roosell
Ditto. I think this is the second or third thread I've seen where owners are saying '30 minutes and it's changing to sleep mode'.

Are you guys using this?

That is a C-TEK. Excellent unit. Buy on line for ~$50.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:52 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Roosell

Are you guys using this?

Yep, that's the one I have. I used it on previous 997's, and on my current 2015 991 GTS and works fine in either socket.

Quick Reply: Porsche Battery Charger