OT -- buying a demo

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 05:44 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OT -- buying a demo

A bit OT here but I can imagine this occurring with a Porsche, too (perhaps not a 991 but a Panamera or a Cayenne, etc.). Just looking for some feedback.

I've been looking for a daily driver to lease, and chose a well-known luxury marque -- $70k range sticker. Dealership has two lots, the color and options I wanted were on a car at the lot about 60 miles away. We did the deal, they gave me a nice price, good trade offer, and were great to deal with. Salesman emails me and tells me my car just arrived at the lot if I want to come see it, and we'll sign the papers on Monday.

Car is sitting there, hasn't been detailed yet, but he hands me the keys and says take it out. I do, and right away notice that it has 585 miles on it ... apparently this is the car they were using as a demo on the other lot.

Now, I picked this car specifically because of the equipment it has on it, said get me THIS one with the VIN# which is what they did ... there were no photos of it on the website, nor any indication of mileage. The guys at this lot were as surprised as I am at the mileage. They are going to detail it, swap a rim that had a small nick on it off another car they have in stock, etc. Obviously, the lease will start at 585 miles, not zero (or 60 or whatever it would have had after they drove it down). I don't feel like they have deceived me or were not being upfront in anyway, just that I happened to pick the car that had some demo miles on it. i'm sure they would let me swap to another car except they don't have one in stock with a particular option I am looking for.

Would you ask for any additional compensation or just not worry about it?
Old 02-28-2016, 05:51 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Won't the car be under warranty the entire length of the lease? Don't worry about it. Ask them to change the oil before you take it.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:02 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, full warranty and maintenance. It's also an automatic, so I'm not worried about the clutch or it being over revved or anything. The sales guys go along on the demos. Just one of those "oh ... really, it has some miles?" moments, I guess.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Wouldn't worry about it if the car is in like new condition. Particularly if it's a lease.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:07 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

I wouldn't worry. But I can tell you that a sale's person doesn't always go on the test drive. Numerous times I've had the GM toss me the keys on a Saturday and said bring the car back Monday.

Last edited by n2cars; 02-28-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:30 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as the lease starts at five hundred and eighty five miles, I don't see any issue.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:32 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 921 Likes on 532 Posts

it all depends on your perspective. It happened to me couple of days ago, I did a deal on an E63 AMG S and then the SA told me that the car had 280 miles on it. I thought about it and for some reason i could not pull the trigger, so I got another car with 46 miles on odd which to me is acceptable. People might think this is excessive, but I paid a price on another car, C63 AMG, I bought the car with 200 miles on it, and the rear tires needed replaced at 1800 miles , the replacement lasted and looked good till I sold the car with 10,000 miles on it. The only logical explanation is probably the first 200 miles were aggressive driving. It was not the end of the world , but cost me some money.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:11 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not worry about the car being ok with the lease and covered warranty but I hope the agreed to price that the lease is written to is adjusted for the miles. It should be at a good discount. You said you got a good price but was that on a new car in inventory or a used car. If you have any thoughts on keeping it possibly after the lease term I would think about asking for the warranty to be extended.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:26 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

New car ... expected delivery miles but had 500 more and a curbed rim. My thinking has evolved to this ... if there were two identically priced and optioned new cars on the lot, and one had 500 miles and the other had 60 miles, which would I choose? Will post an update when I decide ... thanks for the input.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:10 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

I think the issue here is not whether the car is covered under warranty (it obviously is, otherwise it wouldn't even be a point of discussion).

The issue, I think, is about the reliability of the car. Even with warranty coverage, it's a pain in the **** to have to take the car in for service -- even if it's is free and you get a nice loaner. Servicing a car means (1) time out of your day; (2) not having your car; or (3) being stranded somewhere with a broken car. Or all 3 of them.

So, all of that said, I would ask for additional compensation. The price has to be worth it for me to take on the additional risk of a demo car.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:15 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

I would not worry about it - esp since it's a lease. I do like the idea of having them do the oil change like LexVan suggested.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:38 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it at all. But ask for some freebie, like a free oil change or some swag from their gift shop.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:50 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3

Would you ask for any additional compensation or just not worry about it?
When I leased my 2014 991, it had 87 miles on it (I drove 25 of them). About three months after delivery, I received a surprise from PCNA. The informed me that my car was classified as a demo and extended my factory warranty from the standard to 5 years 100kmi. I would suggest that you call PCNA and ask them for it. I believe the correct department is the remarketing department.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:04 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmaturo
I would not worry about the car being ok with the lease and covered warranty but I hope the agreed to price that the lease is written to is adjusted for the miles. It should be at a good discount. You said you got a good price but was that on a new car in inventory or a used car. If you have any thoughts on keeping it possibly after the lease term I would think about asking for the warranty to be extended.
+1. Not a deal breaker but something to consider. While legally "new", it should really be priced like a used car so your agreed cap cost should reflect that. Not sure how long your lease term is but a couple grand off the cap cost would get you about $50/month on a three year lease.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:05 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

They were very nice about it, offered to let me switch to any other car in their inventory. Wound up keeping the car I had originally chosen, and they offered me the wheel and tire warranty at their cost, which saved me about $600. Thanks for all the input.

Oh, and I got a free hat ; )

Quick Reply: OT -- buying a demo