Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Platinum Satin (Ob5) Wheels

Old 02-12-2016, 02:43 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Platinum Satin (Ob5) Wheels

Hey guys, I'm going to paint my satin black GTS centerlocks. I really like the Platinum Satin you find on GT3s, GT4s, and even available optionally on 991S wheels. It strikes just the right note of dark vs. light, and the satin is just like the finish that's currently on my wheels.

So research has turned up the paint code to be Ob5 (not certain but I think it starts with an "O", not a zero.) This seems to be a Glasurit paint. But my painter isn't getting anywhere discovering the actual formula for that paint -- nothing turns up in his "how-2-mix-paint" computer when you search for either the name Platinum Satin, the even sexier name Platinum Met Seidenmatt, or the code.

So wondering if anyone knows how to get that formula? You know what I'm talking about, the recipe of the 8 colors and their amount that go together to make a quart? Every internet forum post I've found from a couple years ago (BMW guys seem to really like this paint color) ends with everybody saying they can't find the formula, and neither can their painter. But then a few people actually have photos of their wheels painted in it, but can offer nothing more than their painter didn't have any trouble.

The reason I'm stuck on this is a) I can actually see it on a GT Silver Porsche in my dealer's showroom, in lots of different lights, and b) I like it. Everything else that is being suggested looks fine on paper but I can't really tell what it will look like on my car.

Here's a car that looks just like mine, even down to the ducktail!

Comparison to my actual car. Both cars have the sun on the far side, showing what happens when the wheels are in shade.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 02-12-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:02 PM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bump...i would like to know as well. That satin color is so unique....has the right amount of darkness to it, but you can see the details of the wheel.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:06 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I believe it's very close to Agate Grey. I'd get the formula for that and do it in a satin finish. Have your painter do a sample.

The platinum satin wheels on an Agate car look very similar.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:10 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

I painted the Macan Turbo's rims in a finish as close as we could get to the factory color. We had a quality paint shop match it and he got very close on the second try.

We called PCNA Customer Commitment to get the paint code, they called Germany, we waited weeks and called again and again. They wouldn't release the formula! Ridiculous customer service.

STG it is simlar to Agate in that it definitely has brownish hues...but it's not Agate.

My advice - by the wheel caps from Suncoast and have a good paint shop match that color.

It's not Ob5 btw, I searched the web too and didn't find anyone who had the actual code. One guys said his dealer had it but he wouldn't share. Crazy
Old 02-16-2016, 10:40 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 117 Posts

Wow, great info, ChrisC. Thanks, especially the idea to pick up some wheel centers and match them. Duh... why didn't I think of that?

Back in 2004 I bought one of the 986 Boxster 550 Spyder editions and it had 5-spoke Carrera Lightweight wheels, with regular silver rims and barrels but the spokes were Seal Grey. But they were glossy, like body paint. I'm hoping my painter can lay down that dry, powdery looking finish that's currently on my black wheels, only in something lighter.

Thanks again,
Old 02-20-2016, 09:33 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

Sure thing, good luck!

Here's how the Macan came out. Since you have centerlocks you won't have to worry if it's 100% match, but they can get very close as you see from the center caps.
Attached Images   
Old 02-25-2016, 07:58 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

Rim in Agate grey for ref. T
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2016, 08:24 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Not only the color but the sheen plays a large role as well as to how the light bounces off of it.
The following users liked this post:
Guards_Red_991 (01-15-2021)
Old 02-25-2016, 09:02 PM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nogabiker...please tell me what paint code you end up using. I would like to paint my wheels platinum satin as well.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like your idea...... platinum would look really nice....What about Powder Coating them.....
Old 02-27-2016, 10:31 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm on the same quest...

Trying to find the color. Stopped by the dealership here in ATL, no paint for purchase.

If anyone has the color code for either paint or powder coat, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:14 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
If anyone has the color code for either paint or powder coat, I'd really appreciate it.
we all would....at least those of us who have wheels in the Platinum Satin finish. there are many other threads here and on other sites re: the same topic, but even with those attempts a paint code available to the USA doesn't seem to exist. i went as far as replacing a rear wheel that had been refinished by the previous owner as the attempt to paint match wasn't of my liking. before i did i called one of the nation's biggest retailers of Porsche wheels and they too could not offer up a viable paint option. maybe why our wheels never go "on sale."
Old 02-28-2016, 10:46 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So...after some research....

The Paint Code is 0B5. Paint is Glasurit Line 90 product line, which is a division of BASF.

Color mix listed in the attachment is a screen shot of the website information. Haven't further found where to get it mixed.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Wheel Paint Code - Glasurit.pdf (281.8 KB, 2831 views)
Old 02-28-2016, 12:32 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

0B5 we knew about, but it's the first time ever seeing the recipe. It wil be interesting to see if domestic paint shops can do anything with it.

Great find!
Old 02-28-2016, 08:58 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks!

Now to find a source for the paint...let me know what you find out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Platinum Satin (Ob5) Wheels