Sponsored by:

Just got my first 911 with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Db750
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my first 911 with pictures

This is a copy and paste of my thread from another Porsche forum. I just found this forum today so thought I would join up as it seems more active. Some of you may have seen this posted last week on the other forum! Also I saw my car listed in the "Hot for sale pick of the week" sticky thread which made my day! Thanks for looking!

Hey guys, I wanted to take the time to introduce myself now that I have finally found my perfect 911. As you can see I joined this forum several years ago after driving my first 911, a 997s PDK, and deciding that I would like to own one myself. At the time I was driving a 2008 E63 M6 with the V10, and the 911 was the first car I had test driven in quite some time that I knew I had to have. This particular car sold before I could work a deal on it, and now for several years I have been casually looking on and off for the perfect car.

Six or so months ago I decided that I would once again begin seriously looking at 911s. This time I would focus on the 991 which I would either buy new off the lot or order to spec. I went to a dealer in Louisville, KY (Bluegrass Porsche) and had an excellent experience test driving a Cayman (which although I loved the looks and feel of the car was way too small as soon as I got in) and two 991 S models which I instantly fell in love with. The Sales Associate I worked with was great, and I began to work a trade deal with my M3. Unfortunately a few days later a girl made a left turn in front of me giving me no option other than to hit her head on and destroy the front end of my M3. The car was in the shop for almost two months which of course once again put my 911 dreams on hold.

For the last month or so I had been trying to trade my wife's 2015 M235i (which was rear ended while she was stopped two weeks before my M3 was hit) for a C63 507 edition. I had been to two dealers so far and had been getting absolutely awful numbers (50% depreciation in one year). I just so happened to decide to look at 911's for the first time in a few months last Thursday and I immediately saw my dream 911 (other than the GT3 of course) located just a few hours away at Midwestern Auto Group. I made the call and got connected to Harvey Ford in their High Line Sales division. Harvey was absolutely fantastic to work with and was nothing but a class act and 100% honest and transparent through the whole process. His initial offer on my wife's M235i was very low as well, but he packaged it in a wonderful compliment sandwich that made it sound so much better than the way the other dealers communicated the same numbers. Although the deal wasn't my dream deal, this was certainly my dream car, so I decided to take a little hit and move forward. In over three years of looking this was the most perfectly speced car for me and it was just a few hours away.

Harvey got everything squared away quickly for me. Monday night I stripped most of the mods off the M235i, and Tuesday morning my wife and I were on our way to pick up the new car! The showroom at Midwestern Auto was stunning; Aventador's, Hurrican's, a new 488 GTB amongst many other rare and beautiful exotics. Although my 911 may have been one of the cheaper car's Harvey has sold recently he did everything he could to make my wife and I feel special and appreciated.

When we arrived Harvey came outside to meet us. We shook hands and he took us through the showroom, past the Lamborghini's and Ferrari's, down an elevator into a basement room used to custom spec Rolls Royce cars. In this room was a meeting area with a table and four chairs adjacent to a shelf with drawers loaded down with all the leather swatches and paint samples available for Rolls Royce customers. There was also a Ghost, a Vantage, and my 911. I knew the car was perfect when I saw it.

We reviewed the car in detail and Harvey answered any of my remaining questions. After he showed us around the room a bit and explained what goes into specing a customers Rolls we headed back upstairs to sign all the paperwork and complete the deal. Harvey had absolutely everything lined up perfectly; there was no waiting or delays and everything went 100% as planned and discussed. As we were signing papers he asked me about my M3 and I told him it would be my wife's DD until the lease was up and that I was considering an M4 convertible for her this summer. He said well before you leave we will head over to our BMW dealer and I'll let you both drive one!

Overall the experience was first class. I ended up getting exactly the car I have dreamed of just slightly used (4,400 miles) at an excellent price, and I bought it from a dealer that treated me fairly and made the experience one that I will always remember. Through the years looking at these cars I have seen how hard it is to find one that is just right and this one is it for me! Going in there is only one thing I thought I may want to change; the Multifunction wheel for the sport model wheel, however now after getting used to the MF wheel I do appreciate all the added utility and ability to scroll through the menu's to the right of the tach.

Thank you to anyone that took the time to read this post! Although it was long I probably could have gone on for much longer! I will add some pictures of the 911 below as well as one or two of our M3 and the M235 we traded. Some are just simple cell phone pictures and others I have taken with my newly acquired GoPro. I am getting a little into photography and plan to purchase a better camera for still shots in the future if I end up using the GoPro enough to justify it.

The M235i
Name:  Screenshot_2015-09-20-12-57-38.png
Views: 104
Size:  864.6 KB
Name:  Screenshot_2015-09-20-12-57-21.png
Views: 97
Size:  685.4 KB

My wife's new M3 with one of my friends M5's
Name:  GOPR0238_4.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  260.6 KB

Last time I saw the ol girl
Name:  20160202_115900.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  248.5 KB
One of the few things that could distract me from going to see my new car
Name:  20160202_114510.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  268.6 KB
The Rolls Royce build room entrance
Name:  20160202_114332.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  170.5 KB
My new car!
Name:  20160202_114308.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  164.7 KB
Stop on the way home
Name:  20160202_151724.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  188.9 KB
Home at last!
Name:  20160202_174511.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  169.0 KB

A few of my new car. I was very lucky to have a beautiful day to drive around with the windows down yesterday

Name:  GOPR0633_1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  216.9 KB
Name:  GOPR0651.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  167.7 KB
Name:  GOPR0659.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  241.3 KB
Name:  GOPR0699.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  167.4 KB
Name:  GOPR0709.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  101.1 KB
Name:  GOPR0718.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  152.8 KB
Name:  GOPR0723.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  119.6 KB
Name:  GOPR0728.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  125.7 KB
Name:  GOPR0731.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  149.2 KB
Name:  GOPR0702.jpg
Size:  180.0 KB
Name:  GOPR0647.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  229.3 KB
Name:  GOPR0639.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  450.1 KB

Picture of our dog Izzy in the car. Whenever she is in the garage and you open a car door she will jump in thinking we are going on a ride. She jumped in and began sniffing around and then realized she had never been in this car and got this sad look on her face!

Name:  GOPR0761.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  325.1 KB

She kept slipping on the leather so she had to stand like this to not slip haha.
Name:  GOPR0766.jpg
Size:  339.1 KB

Finally here is the complete build on the car. As I said this is exactly how I would have ordered the car new other than the sport steering wheel in place of the MF wheel. I actually like the MF wheel so I may keep it, but will research other options. Other than that the car is pretty much perfect for me, and I do not plan on many mods. I will get the windows tinted and some clear reflectors. I may get some wheels in the future, but I really like the stock wheels for now!

031 - Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) incl. PASM Sport Suspension
0Q - White
176 - Sport Exhaust System
250 - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
427 - 20" Carrera Classic Wheels
446 - Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
603 - Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
640 - Sport Chrono Package
653 - Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass
844 - Multifunction steering wheel
970 - Two-tone leather interior
998 - Natural Leather Interior
BH - Natural Leather Interior in Espresso/Cognac
P06 - Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
P3E - Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Power Sport Seats (14-way)
P3H - BOSE® Audio Package
XAA - Aerokit Cup
XEX - Bi-Xenon™ headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
XFJ - Instrument dials in White
XRP - Wheel spacers, 5 mm
Old 02-11-2016, 04:30 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great spec car! Congrats and welcome.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:22 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Welcome.

That's brown done right in that interior. Very classic.

Are your seat backs also covered in leather?
Old 02-11-2016, 08:42 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the interior and exterior. Awesome looking 911!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:07 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 195 Posts

Great looking car and a great looking dog, I have 2 Maltese that look like your dogs twins.
Eric

Last edited by ENCT; 02-11-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats, she is a beauty. How does the M3 compare to the 911? I have one like yours that I was planning to trade in for the 911 but I can't quite let go of it
Old 02-11-2016, 10:33 PM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

Great choice! That's the car I would like to pick up next, a 991 in white with Aero Kit
Old 02-11-2016, 10:49 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 240 Posts

i think you new addition is awesome, but I think we have an enthusiast addition to the forum. Good luck and stay involved.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:18 PM
Db750
Intermediate

I have posted a few replies that have disappeared so hopefully I will not lose this one in my own thread!

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Great spec car! Congrats and welcome.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Welcome.

That's brown done right in that interior. Very classic.

Are your seat backs also covered in leather?
Thank you very much! The seat backs are leather other than the small section of plastic in the lower center section. I hadn't really paid much attention to them, but it appears that there is also a small section of alcantera at the bottom of the seat. Here is a picture I took:

Name:  20160211_174659.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  201.2 KB

Originally Posted by Zucc
I love the interior and exterior. Awesome looking 911!
Thank you! It was really the perfect combo for me!

Originally Posted by ENCT
Great looking car and a great looking dog, I have 2 Maltese that look like your dogs twins.
Eric
Thank you! I really appreciate that! We would love to get another Maltese, but ours is not very sociable so we are afraid that she would not get along with another dog. 99% of the time it is just her, my wife and I, and she has only been around other dogs a few times and she just doesn't get along with them. Did you get your two dogs at the same time, or if not have you had any issues with them getting along?

Originally Posted by Rezus
Congrats, she is a beauty. How does the M3 compare to the 911? I have one like yours that I was planning to trade in for the 911 but I can't quite let go of it
Thank you! I have to say that just like the 911 the E92 was one of my dream cars. I picked it up last March as a lease takeover. The car is a 2013 and it had about 5,000 miles leaving me with 16 months and 25,000 to live out my dream!

Needless to say last summer was probably the most fun I have ever had behind the wheel! In 9 months I put 20,000 miles on the car and it was all smiles! Having driven it so much in such a short period of time the excitement has worn off a bit, but it is still easily one of my favorite cars out there.

After putting some miles on the 911 I will say that the M3 makes a much more comfortable and practical daily driver. The suspension is softer, the seats are softer and more comfortable (for me at least so far), and there is more interior room. The car is also not quite as low to the ground, and obviously has a much larger trunk (we have had a 10 foot Christmas tree in this car with the rear seats down).

In terms of driving dynamics, handling, sporty and connected feeling; as good as the M3 CP is the 911 is just that much better. I am at best a novice driver compared to many here I would guess, but the 911 just feels so much more confidence inspiring and the turn in is razor sharp with little to no body roll. The 911 feels a pretty good deal faster around town as well, but from a roll in the 70+ range I would say they are very close with the edge going to the M3. I will test this with my Vbox once the weather is better.

The most important aspects of the car for me; sound and an awesome high revving NA engine. One of my friends ask me earlier today which one was better sound wise. My answer is that they are two of the best sounding cars out there IMO, and I am very thankful to have both in my garage. The 911 has a more racy sound with crackles and burbles off throttle while the M3 is a V8 beast mixed with exotic screams over 7k. Both cars have razor sharp throttle response with the edge going to the M3. On the other hand the 911 has a clear low end torque advantage. While the DCT is good, the PDK is even better. It is better in auto mode cruising around town, and it blows away the DCT for sporty manual driving.

My M3 HAS to go back this July. The plan was to drive the absolute hell out of her for 25,000 miles and give her back, and that is what I plan to do. If I owned the car I would probably not be able to part with it, but at the same time I would probably have babied it a bit more. Bottom line they are both very, very special cars each with their own weakness and strengths, and they are both the last NA engines for their respective model so I am glad that I am able to experience them. You really can't go wrong with either one!

Originally Posted by Brian Kotyk
Great choice! That's the car I would like to pick up next, a 991 in white with Aero Kit
Thank you! I am glad you like it! It is pretty much exactly what I have been looking for, and I could't be more excited! It was very difficult to find one with these specific options. With Porsche you can find one that is so close to what you want, but then it doesn't have that one option that is a deal breaker and you have to start over. This one has all my must haves plus a few awesome bonus options on top!

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
i think you new addition is awesome, but I think we have an enthusiast addition to the forum. Good luck and stay involved.
Thank you! I greatly appreciate that!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:54 AM
Ørjan
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 59 Posts

Congrats! It's a beauty - and White on Espresso/Cognac is such a classy combo.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:50 PM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Congrats on your new 911 and what a cute dog ! I do love that color combo so much- I've got the same on my C4S but I don't have Aero Kit which look particularly sweet on yours. As well, I've the same wheels and I will be honest - I did plasti-dip them black . I know some are and some are not fans but I wanted to see what it would look like without the cost of buying new rims...in the end, I feel that there's just too much black as the rim and tire sort of blend together. I think our specific rim has to much to do with it as for instance, Bryan K's ( he posted earlier) avatar pic looks very nice to me. At any rate, I will have it off after the winter for a spring cleaning. Enjoy your beautiful car. And dog. You can tell, I am a dog not and truth be told - interior color of my car was chosen because it matches Max - the mutt.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice. Enjoy..
Old 02-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Db750
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ørjan
Congrats! It's a beauty - and White on Espresso/Cognac is such a classy combo.
Thank you for the comment! I agree. I love the 911 with aero kit in white (white seems to be the most rare of the normal colors around here), and the two tone leather was just icing on the cake!

Originally Posted by AKB991
Congrats on your new 911 and what a cute dog ! I do love that color combo so much- I've got the same on my C4S but I don't have Aero Kit which look particularly sweet on yours. As well, I've the same wheels and I will be honest - I did plasti-dip them black . I know some are and some are not fans but I wanted to see what it would look like without the cost of buying new rims...in the end, I feel that there's just too much black as the rim and tire sort of blend together. I think our specific rim has to much to do with it as for instance, Bryan K's ( he posted earlier) avatar pic looks very nice to me. At any rate, I will have it off after the winter for a spring cleaning. Enjoy your beautiful car. And dog. You can tell, I am a dog not and truth be told - interior color of my car was chosen because it matches Max - the mutt.
Thank you so much for your comment! That is awesome that you chose you rinterior color based off your dog! I have actuallly been joking with my wife that the exterior of my car looks like our Maltese because it is white and has the black headlights that look like her eyes!

I had thought about changing the wheel color to black as I have always wanted to do at least one of my cars white with black accents such as wheel and roof. I agree with you that Bryan K's car looks amazing, and is what I would be going for with that look. I think for the stock wheels we have on our cars they look best in the OEM finish which is very nice. For me there are too many spokes on these particular wheels to do them in black which I think may have lead to what you have described with the wheel and tire blending together.

Thanks again for the post!

Originally Posted by Mlbraptor
Very nice. Enjoy..
Thank you! I really like your car! Is that Saphire Blue? That was one of the colors I was considering along with White and Silver, but the blue was the hardest to find. I have really started to like blue cars ever since getting the M3 in LeMans Blue!
Old 02-13-2016, 08:58 PM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Db- your point about "too many spokes" on the carrera classic is exactly the reason. I just got my avatar pic up and you can plainly see that the wheel and tire blend into a whole lotta black. Bryan K's difference is subtle but makes a big difference. I agree, OEM finish looks best with our rims. Hard to see on my pic but I've got clear lights all around and I like it that way- especially since I've a C4S so the entire, continuous light bar in back is all clear as are the lights. Also, clear (but yellowing quickly) stone guards traded out for black. I was thinking a bit retro-speedster like on a modern car can be cool . I've always been partial to white and seems like its pretty popular now but all my cars are white: 911, Audi S6 and Toyota Sequoia. Best of luck and again, congrats and welcome. I'm pretty new too but I've been reading for a while. So many very nice and super Porsche- educated folks here ! It's pretty unreal.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:54 PM
Db750
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AKB991
Db- your point about "too many spokes" on the carrera classic is exactly the reason. I just got my avatar pic up and you can plainly see that the wheel and tire blend into a whole lotta black. Bryan K's difference is subtle but makes a big difference. I agree, OEM finish looks best with our rims. Hard to see on my pic but I've got clear lights all around and I like it that way- especially since I've a C4S so the entire, continuous light bar in back is all clear as are the lights. Also, clear (but yellowing quickly) stone guards traded out for black. I was thinking a bit retro-speedster like on a modern car can be cool . I've always been partial to white and seems like its pretty popular now but all my cars are white: 911, Audi S6 and Toyota Sequoia. Best of luck and again, congrats and welcome. I'm pretty new too but I've been reading for a while. So many very nice and super Porsche- educated folks here ! It's pretty unreal.
Your car looks awesome in your picture! I have a set of the black stone guards that came with my car (they are magnetic), but I have "worn them" since leaving the dealer. I have put them on in the garage, but I go back and forth on if I like them or not. I am taking my car in for tint on Thursday which I think will help a lot with the flow to the stone guards.

I was also thinking about picking up a set of the clear tail lights. Once again I am not 100% sold on them over the red, but from what I saw they sell for around $500-600 so I thought I might get a used set just to try out. They look really good on your car, and I agree with you that on the 4S that bar looks better clear. I have the black xenon headlights, which I really like, but I wasn't sure how they would flow with the clear tails. In the BMW world there are a few guys I know of that cut open the tail lights and do all kinds of cool mods on them such as painting the inside black similar to how my oem headlamps are done. I was thinking about sending a set of clear tails off and having them cut open and painted black so I would have the same look front and back, but I am not sure how it would look!

Not in too big of a rush to mod as this is my first Porsche so it is really special to me stock, but I'm sure the more time I spend around here the more ideas I will get!

Quick Reply: Just got my first 911 with pictures