Sponsored by:

COBB Accessport Now Supports 991 Carrera, Carrera S, and Carrera GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:46 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

Frank,
Thanks for the info--it insures domestic tranquility. In reality my wife is a gem and is very accommodating of my obsessive behavior with regards to my P-car. I really don't want the Accessport in the cabin.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:30 AM
carrerapete991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
I really don't want the Accessport in the cabin.
Simply store the Accessport away after setting up your tune.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:41 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

NEW REVIEW.

So I purchased the AP3 and installed this weekend. I must say I was a bit skeptical about the performance and somewhat concerned about the install, even though it appeared easy.

Install: Took about 7 minutes from start to finish. No surprises, no glitches and as advertised. Actually took longer to put the damn cover back on the battery area. The hardware/software interface is intuitive, but given my age and aviation background I have seen all generations of software and hardware, some of which should be outlawed. Never read the instructions and mastered the interface in about 5 minutes.

After install:
This Stage 1 93 OTS tune more than met my expectations. Quite frankly, it is like driving a completely different car. I have only used on the street and here are my first impressions:
1. Totally smooths out the lower power band.
2. Noticeably more low end torque.
3. My engine is quieter now. In fact, I am wondering if I have a recent bad COV that controls the cabin noise.
4. Rev's are quicker, noticeably quicker.
5. Car is seat of the pants quicker.

I will be tracking this coming weekend and will provide a review after the event. Definitely worth the $$$ for the performance increase. In addition, I should note that I have an AWE exhaust on my car and it seems this combination has really harnessed hidden HP and Torque in a 3.4 NA PDK. I am fairly sure that I am running 0-60 at less the 4. The track will let me know for sure -- stay tuned.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:49 PM
UGLYOKI
Rennlist Member

Jabs1542 - you're right, any production change comes at a cost. I wonder if the differences in OBDII plug location are related to model differences - mine is a GTS and it came with at least one item that the service manual says is GT3 only - the steering spoilers. Kind of a trip to think this thing might have been made on the GT3 production line
Old 05-30-2016, 10:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by UGLYOKI
Jabs1542 - you're right, any production change comes at a cost. I wonder if the differences in OBDII plug location are related to model differences - mine is a GTS and it came with at least one item that the service manual says is GT3 only - the steering spoilers. Kind of a trip to think this thing might have been made on the GT3 production line
all the 911 variants are made on the same line, in Zuffenhausen, including GT, and Cup cars (but not RSRs)
Old 05-30-2016, 11:48 PM
UGLYOKI
Rennlist Member

Makes sense - there aren't that many made, after all.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:07 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
all the 911 variants are made on the same line, in Zuffenhausen, including GT, and Cup cars (but not RSRs)
Ok - but what's a 'steering spoiler'?
Old 05-31-2016, 10:23 AM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
NEW REVIEW.

So I purchased the AP3 and installed this weekend. I must say I was a bit skeptical about the performance and somewhat concerned about the install, even though it appeared easy.

Install: Took about 7 minutes from start to finish. No surprises, no glitches and as advertised. Actually took longer to put the damn cover back on the battery area. The hardware/software interface is intuitive, but given my age and aviation background I have seen all generations of software and hardware, some of which should be outlawed. Never read the instructions and mastered the interface in about 5 minutes.

After install:
This Stage 1 93 OTS tune more than met my expectations. Quite frankly, it is like driving a completely different car. I have only used on the street and here are my first impressions:
1. Totally smooths out the lower power band.
2. Noticeably more low end torque.
3. My engine is quieter now. In fact, I am wondering if I have a recent bad COV that controls the cabin noise.
4. Rev's are quicker, noticeably quicker.
5. Car is seat of the pants quicker.

I will be tracking this coming weekend and will provide a review after the event. Definitely worth the $$$ for the performance increase. In addition, I should note that I have an AWE exhaust on my car and it seems this combination has really harnessed hidden HP and Torque in a 3.4 NA PDK. I am fairly sure that I am running 0-60 at less the 4. The track will let me know for sure -- stay tuned.
Frank,

Thanks for the review and good to hear the install went off without a hitch! Give us your impressions after the upcoming track day and after you get a few more miles on the tune.

Thanks!

~Jared

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 05-31-2016, 01:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Ok - but what's a 'steering spoiler'?
I am *TOTALLY* guessing here, but for what its worth I believe it could be some simple plastic clip-on ducts that attach onto the front suspension arms to clean up the under car airflow... YMMV
Old 05-31-2016, 05:36 PM
UGLYOKI
Rennlist Member

Jabs, Larry, Yes. Looks like it directs airflow to the brakes.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UGLYOKI
Jabs, Larry, Yes. Looks like it directs airflow to the brakes.
yup that's exactly what it will do, many of the earlier GT3's had similar components which make a difference to the front brake temps when on track.

A common 'upgrade' for the 996/997 GT3's were the cup car brake ducts ...
Old 06-12-2016, 10:55 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

NEW REVIEW.
I will be tracking this coming weekend and will provide a review after the event.
Tracked for two days last weekend and am sharing my experience with the AP3 93 OTS tune. First and most important no issues with the engine as a result of the tune. Second, oil temps remained the same as when no tune is present. Third, there were no timing corrections. As recommended, I ran with a fuel mix of 95.5 octane to prevent any possible detonation as a precaution.

On track experience, PDK Sport Plus mode:

- Rev's were quicker, similar to street.
- Power band at high rev's was awesome. Much better performance than without the tune.
- Speeds were higher on straights than without the tune.
- Oil, engine and water temps were as expected.
- No detonation
- Low end torque much improved.
- Smoother throttle modulation was very noticeable and most helpful in the corners.

After I arrived home, I emailed two data logs to COBB for analysis. Their response was timely and they assured me that all looked good. They discovered one anomoly, which required my input. They found a pedal position that was not consistent with throttle angle. Turns out, that I remembered the SPASM kicked in on a an aggressive track out and abrupt turn. This confirmed what they viewed in the analysis as normal and not an airflow issue.

There is one thing that I have noticed and am curious about. The AP3 unit shows various readouts that one can choose. I noticed that there is an inconsistency with oil temp and pressure with the car gauges. For example, the AV3 unit shows a higher oil temp until full operating temp is reached, then they sync up within a few degrees. The oil pressure indicates much higher than the gauge all the time. I just am assuming that the ECU transmitting direct to the AP3 is far more precise and responsive.

After two track days, I remain pleased with the tune and the customer support.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:35 AM
carrerapete991
Intermediate

Tracked for two days last weekend and am sharing my experience with the AP3 93 OTS tune.

After two track days, I remain pleased with the tune and the customer support.
Thanks for sharing this information. It seems the tune is living up to the claims.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

All these good reviews is gonna force me to buy that darn thing!
Old 06-12-2016, 01:07 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, I'll be buying one once I get my car baselined. I'm really interested in the smoother throttle modulation. The throttle gets very twitchy when tracking out above 5000 rpms, plus I have a definite bump in my throttle curve where a sudden surge of power kicks in (probably around 6000) - you would think I was wiggling my toe or forcing the throttle down harder. Really want to get this smoothed out.

Quick Reply: COBB Accessport Now Supports 991 Carrera, Carrera S, and Carrera GTS