Sponsored by:

Check Tyres Warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 03:57 AM
eddtiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Tyres Warning

Hi, just before I started receiving a warning in red telling me to 'Check Tyres'. -0.3 bar to my front left tyre.

I checked with my sales guy on the tyre pressure and he recommends 34-36 lbs for the front. So I went off to the gas station and put in some more air, however it didn't seem to be taking in too much, if not any at all as it seemed full.

So I go read the manual (first time btw) and the examples they have explicitly state 'Tyre Pressure' on the display.

I spoke to the sales guy again and he says maybe I have punctuared my tyre, but I don't see anything. I don't really want to bring the car in because if it's a trivial error, I rather just fix it myself.

I'm a little puzzled on the Fill Info screen, it has -0.3 for both front tyres, the left being red while the right being white. I thought the same pressure would have the same status.

Anyone encountered this situation?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:50 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Eddtiff, try this. Reset your TPMS. Select a different wheel/tire and a different ride comfort setting. Then TPMS will go through a re-learn function. Then go back and reset TPMS to your original preferred settings. It will re-learn again, and hopefully clear your issue. Also make sure your car is not too close to another car with TPMS, it can cause interference. Good luck. Report back.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:28 PM
eddtiff
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
Eddtiff, try this. Reset your TPMS. Select a different wheel/tire and a different ride comfort setting. Then TPMS will go through a re-learn function. Then go back and reset TPMS to your original preferred settings. It will re-learn again, and hopefully clear your issue. Also make sure your car is not too close to another car with TPMS, it can cause interference. Good luck. Report back.
Hi Lex, I thought the ride comfort setting is for all 4 wheels? Or is the setting per individual wheel/tyre? Anyhow, I'll try your suggestion and report back!

Thanks~
Old 02-10-2016, 01:14 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

It looks like you need to add some air all around.

I think 0.3 - 0.4 bar low (4 - 6 psi) is significant.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:38 PM
Happy911S
Instructor

I agree that you should try the method that Lex provided.

The issue with an alarm on one side and not the other is most likely the resolution of the display in Bar. As an example see below:
0.28 bar - 4.06 psi
0.345 bar - 5 psi

You could have over 1 psi difference in the pressure but the display rounds it to the tenth of a bar. If you change the units to Imperial I bet you will see this is the case.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:22 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I agree with Lex's comment to try a reset. I run 32 front and 36 rear on my 4 S with MPSS and get no warnings at all. It's either a needed reset or it could be in need of a system reboot. I was getting faulty readings during the summer had the dealer do a reboot, problem free now.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:32 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

it happened to me and I reset as Lex said and all is good now
Old 02-11-2016, 12:00 AM
eddtiff
Instructor

This site really is really miles ahead of the knowledge my sales guy has! I will attempt the reset tonight when I get home.

In terms of system reboots, is that something that I can do, or does it have to be performed at the service centre?

Thx guys!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:13 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Go into your PSM and toggle between summer and winter tires or toggle between 20" and 19" wheels and then go back to what ever you have on your car. For me that usually works to get the system back up and running again when I change wheels.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:34 AM
eddtiff
Instructor

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Go into your PSM and toggle between summer and winter tires or toggle between 20" and 19" wheels and then go back to what ever you have on your car. For me that usually works to get the system back up and running again when I change wheels.
Thx CSK!
Old 02-11-2016, 11:51 AM
eddtiff
Instructor

Awesome Lex, your trick worked. I resetted the TPMS settings going to winter tyres then back to summer. Drove for around 10 mins while it was re-learning and then the problem disappeared. Thanks!!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:50 AM
eddtiff
Instructor

The trick worked all the way till I got home. However, the next day when I got back in, I got the same warning again. So I switched settings then back to Summer again and it was gone till I got to work. After work, got back in the car, started her up and lo and behold the warning comes up again.

Is there anything else I can try?

If it persists, I probably have to take it in to the service centre.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:53 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by eddtiff
The trick worked all the way till I got home. However, the next day when I got back in, I got the same warning again. So I switched settings then back to Summer again and it was gone till I got to work. After work, got back in the car, started her up and lo and behold the warning comes up again.

Is there anything else I can try?

If it persists, I probably have to take it in to the service centre.
Can you add a little air?

Can you cross-reference with a good quality tire pressure gauge?

Are you positive there is not a puncture/nail?
Old 02-12-2016, 10:57 AM
eddtiff
Instructor

Can you add a little air?

Can you cross-reference with a good quality tire pressure gauge?

Are you positive there is not a puncture/nail?
For my understanding, the warning is telling me that the tyre is losing 0.3 bar of air which equates to around 4.28 lbs, so if I add some extra air to it, say 4 lbs, it should disappear right?

I will drive off to the gas station again which is 3 mins away and try again and report back.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

You could have a bad TPMS.

Quick Reply: Check Tyres Warning