Sponsored by:

Targa Rattles: SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:26 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Targa Rattles: SOLVED

I'm posting this for the benefit of other 991 Targa owners who search in the future. Forgive the recap of issues I've already posted about.

My car has been plagued with rattles since I got it - I made the mistake of test driving with the top down, which of course masked the problems - then found tons of noise issues on the way home. I worked with two separate dealerships trying to nail them all down, and the last of them I found the fix for myself. Here is the list for the benefit of other Targa owners:

1. Headliner rattle: this was a metallic super annoying buzz that happened when driving over any textured pavement. The dealer removed the alcantera trim piece, padded it, and the problem went away.

2. Targa bar external rattle: The dealer found this one (I never heard it) while I was getting them to address the headliner rattle. There was a loose clip rattling around inside the Targa bar which they fixed.

3. Plasticy creaking from rear trim bar in cargo area: this was resolved by removing the plastic trim bar and applying fuzzy velcro to the left and right of the connectors, thanks to a tip from this forum.

4. Steering column rattle: This turned out to be the pop up spoiler above the windshield! The source of the noise was very elusive. Once I found it and had the (broken) spoiler replaced, the problem went away.

5. "Pencil tapping a Coke bottle" sound on right rear: This one was very difficult to track down. I spent a lot of time with dealers before giving up and accepting it...and I found the fix myself today. There are two snap-in plastic covers under the spoiler - both had broken pins and were rattling around loose. (This took TWO YEARS to find!) Cheap to replace at $6.50 each.

6. Rubbery creaking from Targa Lid: After fixing #5, this one dramatically reduced, much to my surprise. I would say at this point it is absolutely within normal bounds for the Targa and I only notice it when the body is flexing (for example turning into a driveway, etc.) MUCH better!

These problems may sound petty, but they really contributed to an overall disappointment with the car. Now that I have resolved them it feels amazing to drive in silence!

I hope this helps another Targa owner somewhere down the road.

Last edited by DerekS; 07-09-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Correct the cause of the "coke bottle" rattle and "steering column" rattle.
The following 3 users liked this post by DerekS:
apache2 (07-01-2021), fluguy (06-23-2021), Zeus993 (08-26-2019)
Old 01-27-2016, 07:46 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Good for you!
Old 01-27-2016, 08:24 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm glad you got it all fixed. I turn into a neurotic hamster as well when the slightest rattle manifests itself
Old 01-27-2016, 08:54 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
I'm glad you got it all fixed. I turn into a neurotic hamster as well when the slightest rattle manifests itself
Man you ain't kidding. For as much as the car cost it was making me insane. It's crazy how such a minor thing can drastically change your perception of the vehicle.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:18 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
Man you ain't kidding. For as much as the car cost it was making me insane. It's crazy how such a minor thing can drastically change your perception of the vehicle.
It's one of the reasons I drove my mini Cooper S with the top down year round (except when it rained). Fantastic car, I loved it, but with the top up, there were rattles.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:08 PM
doccha
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great info for targa owners... i bought a cpo 2014 targa 4s a couple of months ago. i noticed the targa bar metallic rattle and also the plasticky creaking from the rear that you mentioned. was going to get this addressed at next service visit. thanks for sharing that. should make the fix easy!
Old 01-27-2016, 11:36 PM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to hear you resolved this as well.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:55 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great info. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:37 AM
dds007
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree that any rattle/squeak/creek sound is very distracting and takes away from the experience of the car. Why doesn't Porsche fix these things ahead of time!??
Old 01-28-2016, 01:15 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doccha
great info for targa owners... i bought a cpo 2014 targa 4s a couple of months ago. i noticed the targa bar metallic rattle and also the plasticky creaking from the rear that you mentioned. was going to get this addressed at next service visit. thanks for sharing that. should make the fix easy!
If you are talking about the external rattle be sure to document the condition of the car when you drop it off. Specifically take photos of the targa bar and surrounding ears etc.

Mine picked up a scratch and I can't prove it but strongly believe it happened at the dealership. The replacement part is $1400 and it cannot be polished out!

About the trim bar creak I would advise doing it yourself. One dealer visit they smeared some kind of grease all over it and inside the cracks which did not fix the problem. Velcro strips did. And you will never see them since they are on the underside.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:16 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

By the way mine is also a 2014 cpo. I'm nearing 24k miles, maybe these are wear related rattles?
Old 12-06-2016, 02:21 AM
Dag Reckhorn
AutoX

I found a very annoying one in the rear, the rear seat belt buckles rattle when not in use. Snap in the belt and the noise is gone. I then had them exchanged at the dealer. Crazy that POrsche could let that happen. Apparently they changed something as my new ones are better
Old 12-06-2016, 10:36 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

6. Rubbery creaking from Targa Lid: After fixing #5, this one dramatically reduced, much to my surprise. I would say at this point it is absolutely within normal bounds for the Targa and I only notice it when the body is flexing (for example turning into a driveway, etc.) MUCH better!
I bet this will fix #6. Worked on my Macan for a similar problem:

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Krytox...vert-amazon-20
Old 12-10-2016, 11:28 AM
lee beng chan
Cruisin'

I'm posting this for the benefit of other 991 Targa owners who search in the future. Forgive the recap of issues I've already posted about.

My car has been plagued with rattles since I got it - I made the mistake of test driving with the top down, which of course masked the problems - then found tons of noise issues on the way home. I worked with two separate dealerships trying to nail them all down, and the last of them I found the fix for myself. Here is the list for the benefit of other Targa owners:

1. Headliner rattle: this was a metallic super annoying buzz that happened when driving over any textured pavement. The dealer removed the alcantera trim piece, padded it, and the problem went away.

2. Targa bar external rattle: The dealer found this one (I never heard it) while I was getting them to address the headliner rattle. There was a loose clip rattling around inside the Targa bar which they fixed.

3. Plasticy creaking from rear trim bar in cargo area: this was resolved by removing the plastic trim bar and applying fuzzy velcro to the left and right of the connectors, thanks to a tip from this forum.

4. Steering column rattle: Some kind of buzzing when traveling over textured pavement from the dash/steering column area. A dealership was able to find and fix this one.

5. "Pencil tapping a Coke bottle" sound on right rear: This one was very difficult to track down. I spent a lot of time with dealers before giving up and accepting it...and I found the fix myself today. As it turns out there are two rubber "stoppers" on the bottom of the Targa lid. Upon close examination, the one on the right side was taller than the one on the left (by counting visible threads.) I grasped it firmly and twisted until it matched its counterpart. I was amazed to find my 6+ month annoyance finally resolved!

These problems may sound petty, but they really contributed to an overall disappointment with the car. Now that I have resolved them it feels amazing to drive in silence!

I hope this helps another Targa owner somewhere down the road.
Wow this is perfect. Thank u!!
Old 12-23-2016, 03:49 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:

4. Steering column rattle: Some kind of buzzing when traveling over textured pavement from the dash/steering column area. A dealership was able to find and fix this one.

The cause for this was found! A clip inside the instrument cluster assembly was not seated properly.

UPDATE:

Not found. Picked up the car and it still rattles. GRR! Also threw a cooling fault!

Last edited by DerekS; 12-23-2016 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Targa Rattles: SOLVED