Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa Rattles: SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 04:30 PM
drugstocowboy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was told by my dealership this past month that rattles are only covered under warranty for the first year of purchase. Anyone else being told this by their dealership? Any truth to this? Thanks!
Old 12-23-2016, 04:45 PM
First991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for posting! useful info for my next targa which i someday hope to own

I am curious about the roof mechanism though. how much clearance is required behind the car when the roof opens? is there something in place to prevent collision with an object behind you?
Old 03-19-2017, 11:21 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

UPDATE:

4. Steering column rattle: Some kind of buzzing when traveling over textured pavement from the dash/steering column area. A dealership was able to find and fix this one.

I have found the problem at long last! My windstop was sticking. Stowing the top with the windstop in the upper position resolved it. Will also look at unsticking the stop with WD40 or something.

Very deceptive sound, it really sounded like the instrument cluster.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:33 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for sharing........I will use for reference!!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:17 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
Targa Rattles: SOLVED
TLR I assume you switched to the coupe.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:27 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

I was seriously considering it.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:44 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Bringing this thread back to life, which may help newer Targa owners find some problems they may have or for those that have discovered new problems to post solutions.

Mine is pretty solid except for the rattle I cannot seem to track down that appears to be coming from the passenger's side rear seat area on the door panel, or so it seems. I am still trying to figure out if #3 is a possibility but I do not understand what the fix is (pics would help).
Old 08-18-2019, 11:28 AM
gripshifter
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

My 991.1 Targa roof creaks over bumps only in the summer when the temperature rises above 80F or so. Otherwise it's quiet. Any ideas on how to treat this temperature dependent issue? I tried gummiephledge and Krytox on the seals and they didn't seem to help (although Krytox helped a lot with my coupe that had the creaking in the moonroof).

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2019, 11:58 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I think I resolved the rattling. I put the top in maintenance position and starting pushing on areas (passenger's side) and started hearing the noise that was bothering me so I used electrical tape to stop the pieces from rubbing against each other. I took a drive on the only rough patch of A1A that causes it and I left the PSE off, AC, etc. and did not hear any rattles so I think that did the trick.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:38 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,354 Likes on 677 Posts

Curious what you did here
3. Plasticy creaking from rear trim bar in cargo area: this was resolved by removing the plastic trim bar and applying fuzzy velcro to the left and right of the connectors, thanks to a tip from this forum
Old 06-22-2021, 09:40 PM
stac1
1st Gear

Cool

Thank you that was very useful as I couldn't locate the source of the rattling. Will give this a try. Did you have any issue with the Targa bar it self as well which is wrapped by alcantara?

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I think I resolved the rattling. I put the top in maintenance position and starting pushing on areas (passenger's side) and started hearing the noise that was bothering me so I used electrical tape to stop the pieces from rubbing against each other. I took a drive on the only rough patch of A1A that causes it and I left the PSE off, AC, etc. and did not hear any rattles so I think that did the trick.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:44 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

No, I did not think the targa bar was a source of any noise. I sold the car though and am awaiting a 718 Spyder, and with the exhaust set up I have planned I will not hear any rattles.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:46 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
It's one of the reasons I drove my mini Cooper S with the top down year round (except when it rained). Fantastic car, I loved it, but with the top up, there were rattles.
This humble-bragging has got to stop.
Old 07-16-2022, 04:41 PM
356B_S90
2nd Gear

Default Thanks to all in this Thread

I just picked up a used 2018 Targa 4s. Creaks and squeaks on the inside. One of the major solutions was detaching the crossbar in front of the retracted roof as advised by DerekS and putting some thin, self-stick, thin rubber pads between the bar and the attachment points . I also torqued the large number of T25 TORX screws on the cross bar. Not too much. They moved about a 1/16th turn each and the combination of the pads and torqued screws made that noise disappear.
Finally, I applied KRYTOX dry lubricant (205) to all the roof and rear window seals and the two circular, adjustable, corner pads on the rear window. It is now as silent as coupe when I go over bumps. The KRYTOX really gets rid of what I call the sqidgy sounds of dry rubber weather seals rubbing each other.
Old 09-09-2023, 05:23 PM
MM8991
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, everyone, for the good insight. I was tracking down a rattle on my 2019 Targa and discovered another possibility… missing rubber bumpers under the “wings” that deploy during operation. While looking around in the back with the rear glass up, I discovered a small rubber bumper and a thin washer laying in the narrow carpeted area just outside of the rear interior trim (speaker panel) — where the targa hinges stow when the top is down. I checked the other side, and there was also a bumper with three thin washers. Trying to find a home for these bumpers, I deployed the Targa top part way (“full Transformer mode”) where the “wings” pop up to allow the hinges to pass through during operation. I found one of these bumpers in place and one of them missing. On the other side, both were missing. There are two on each side. The side where both were missing was the side that rattled. Easy fix if you find the bumpers…

Narrow area where I found the bumpers on each side

Deploy the wings to see if bumpers are missing…

Detailed photo… one in left is present, one on right is missing. Two per side, four total.

Quick Reply: Targa Rattles: SOLVED