Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPD Plenum - Anyone Installed one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 12:35 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Hasn't the plenum topic been covered ad nauseum? Or is this IPD one special in some way?
Old 01-26-2016, 12:45 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
Hasn't the plenum topic been covered ad nauseum? Or is this IPD one special in some way?
Oh yes it has, for years. We're environmentally friendly here and like to recycle topics

Although there are already other threads started and we could have "saved a thread" here
Old 01-26-2016, 01:29 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Oh yes it has, for years. We're environmentally friendly here and like to recycle topics

Although there are already other threads started and we could have "saved a thread" here
Great for guys like me tho...little late to the party (newbie) so as not to use the search function as much
Old 01-26-2016, 09:57 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
great info! note that the X51 plenum is *very* different from the S/IPD one ... if the X51 plenum is responsible for 15bhp of the total 30bhp ... from the throttle
body all the way to the cylinder heads ... I'm a bit skeptical that the IPD can match that gain being a "simple" polished improvement over the plastic S OEM part...

I'm not saying dont do it ... I'm just saying dont look for claimed improvements
It is interesting that the IPD is alluminum (just like the GTS & GT3 plenums) and has a polished & dempled surface area for "improved" airflow. The plenum is supposedly temp sensitive and the stock plastic one is not as uniform in this regard. I agree that 15 HP & 14 T is probably high. But the cost is closer to $1300 w a good indy mechanic that charges $100/hr or less (like mine does) tho I had the dealer do it for reasons mentioned above. A great time to do this mod is when the air filters need replacing. My $.02.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:34 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
Who is the absolute best price on these IPD plenums?
I missed your question, sorry. I bought both of my IPD plenums directly from IPD in Huntington Beach, Ca. Call Greg. I think he will treat you right.
Also to your point of something cosmetic to look at, on the 997 that was the case! It really looked "cool" in there. On the 991 there is no visual 😔!
Old 01-26-2016, 12:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,904 Posts

There is no way anyone could discern any difference between 15HP/14TQ on 400HP Carrera S, particularly given those gains are usually mostly at the top. It's 100% placebo effect. You're just not going to notice a 4% power increase. Heck, most people say you can't really feel the difference in the Powerkit and that's 30hp.

Not saying it's a stupid spend, as we Porsche owners spend a lot of money on all sorts of stuff others might think is unwise. Heck, I spent $3k just to make my car go poppity-pop. To each his own, I just think there is no real performance gain from these minor mods.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:47 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There is no way anyone could discern any difference between 15HP/14TQ on 400HP Carrera S, particularly given those gains are usually mostly at the top. It's 100% placebo effect. You're just not going to notice a 4% power increase. Heck, most people say you can't really feel the difference in the Powerkit and that's 30hp.

Not saying it's a stupid spend, as we Porsche owners spend a lot of money on all sorts of stuff others might think is unwise. Heck, I spent $3k just to make my car go poppity-pop. To each his own, I just think there is no real performance gain from these minor mods.
You said it all! Probably not going to "feel" a 4% gain, but when you are neck & neck with the exact same car but w/o these minor mods, and the modded car accelerates away from the un modded car, you can "feel" or at least "see" the difference then. And I think your best point is that we 911 drivers like to tweak our cars & make them unique to us & we spend silly amounts of $ to enjoy them even more. I really don't plan to do anything more, it is just the way I want it now! And every time I drive it I get a big grin on my face and feel very fortunate!
Old 01-26-2016, 01:59 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
Well, truer words - but isofar as I know on the 997 Board. Back starting in around 2009 or 10 (maybe even earlier) there were long, long threads on this. Dyno results (debated), engineering and even back-and-forths with a manufacturer. I seem to recall the consensus was that for the 997 the Plenum upgrade was useless (unlike what was stated in an earlier post as a quote from a mechanic). The thing was, how would you get meaningful results? Sure, use a dyno, but depending on the calibration and other external factors, these numbers can be dubious.

In the end 15 hp of low hanging fruit wasn't something than too many people believed PAG left on the tree. (And if a Power Kit, at $17K, gives you no torque gain, (not sarcastically) can anyone explain to me how a simple plenum nets added torque.)

But lets say that your $1K to $2K Plenum investment does get you 15 extra hp. Where is that going to show up on the rev curve and in what relation to the torque curve? When you go through the calculations that show speed gains, then work out the math and subtract the increase in drag (square of speed). The real speed gain is going to very, very small. To put things in perspective, a factory power kit gives you something like 35 or so extra hp and no torque gain (997.2) and the speed gain is a 0.1 or 0.2 second zero to 60 time ($17K for a 4 to 5 percent gain).

To me, compared to many other similarly or less expensive sports cars, 911s are not the best in straight line speed. I also get the sense that it is axiomatic that PAG generally builds a 911 sacrificing straight-line hp for speed through the corners. So then, my pea brain gravitates to spending money to accentuate what a 911 already does well, handling, than to try and buy hp that may translate into much less of a benefit.

But in the end, it is your money, spend it on whatever you like.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Well, truer words - but isofar as I know on the 997 Board. Back starting in around 2009 or 10 (maybe even earlier) there were long, long threads on this. Dyno results (debated), engineering and even back-and-forths with a manufacturer. I seem to recall the consensus was that for the 997 the Plenum upgrade was useless (unlike what was stated in an earlier post as a quote from a mechanic). The thing was, how would you get meaningful results? Sure, use a dyno, but depending on the calibration and other external factors, these numbers can be dubious.

In the end 15 hp of low hanging fruit wasn't something than too many people believed PAG left on the tree.

But lets say that your $1K to $2K Plenum investment does get you 15 extra hp. Where is that going to show up on the rev curve and in what relation to the torque curve? When you go through the calculations that show speed gains, then work out the math and subtract the increase in drag (square of speed). The real speed gain is going to very, very small. To put things in perspective, a factory power kit gives you something like 35 or so extra hp and no torque gain (997.2) and the speed gain is a 0.1 or 0.2 second zero to 60 time ($17K for a 4 to 5 percent gain).

To me, compared to many other similarly or less expensive sports cars, 911s are not the best in straight line speed. I also get the sense that it is axiomatic that PAG generally builds a 911 sacrificing straight-line hp for speed through the corners. So then, my pea brain gravitates to spending money to accentuate what a 911 already does well, handling, than to try and buy hp that may translate into much less of a benefit.

But in the end, it is your money, spend it on whatever you like.
hence my earlier remark about damptronics etc
Old 01-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
You said it all! Probably not going to "feel" a 4% gain, but when you are neck & neck with the exact same car but w/o these minor mods, and the modded car accelerates away from the un modded car, you can "feel" or at least "see" the difference then.
But that's my point, a random roll on test with another car is totally unscientific and part of the placebo effect. Even if you achieved a full 15hp difference at the wheels, that will not have one car accelerating away from the other. A 4% difference in HP on these cars will result in an almost imperceptible difference in speed/acceleration on the road.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:43 PM
AlbertC4S
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Plenum

Went to my local Porsche dealer today to ask about what would they charge for installing an IPD plenum and was told that it will bring on an engine check light. Is that true?
Old 05-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlbertC4S
Went to my local Porsche dealer today to ask about what would they charge for installing an IPD plenum and was told that it will bring on an engine check light. Is that true?
if that was true, IPD would have sold about/exactly one of them.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:52 PM
AlbertC4S
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It very frustrating to have a dealer not know the facts about what you are asking them to install and then hand them the keys to work on your vehicle and charge you over $125 an hour. Thank God for this forum.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

It very frustrating to have a dealer not know the facts about what you are asking them to install and then hand them the keys to work on your vehicle and charge you over $125 an hour. Thank God for this forum.
they may not have seen an IPD plenum before, or be comfortable in installing aftermarket parts (warranty) ...
Old 05-30-2016, 06:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

The plenum is a totally passive device, its simply a more efficient mechanism for the engine to ingest air ... I believe (but I am not certain) that the plenum is
"downwind" of all the engines intake sensors, so I dont really see how it
would result in a MIL ...

Quick Reply: IPD Plenum - Anyone Installed one?