Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ARAI GP5W with sun visor (Blue Helmet)

I would not drive anything without a full face helmet...

The "wider" opening of the GP5W works very well with improved visibility for closed cockpits cars, I use the GP6 (Gold Helmet) version for open wheel since the opening is much smaller in case....
Attached Images   
Old 03-17-2017, 12:16 AM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reviving an old thread. I'm resigned to the fact I can't use my expensive motorcycle lid for DE or auto cross, so now I need to select a good one without the ability to try them on. Despite living in NASCAR's home town, I can't seem to find a racing store within an hour of Charlotte Motor Speedway that sells auto helmets.

I've owned HJC motorcycle helmets, so if an XL fit me 10 years ago in that brand, would it fit me now in the same brand. Similarly, I tried on a Bell motorcycle helmet at the Cycle Gear store, so can I infer that their auto helmets would fit similarly? Lastly, i could drive an hour up to Mooresville to the Simpson store, but not sure if it's worth the effort.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:23 AM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought my Bell open face off a website after measuring my head with their instructions. Fit was perfect.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:55 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Bell Mag 1 Rally (with intercom connector) - this is an open face helmet.

I much prefer open face helmets and indeed have only ever driven with open face helmets in hard top cars.

I recognise and acknowledge full faced helmets are a safer option - however I wear spectacles and have never ever been able to find a full face helmet that fits correctly and allows good fitment of spectacles.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:57 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

I've liked my Black Armor.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:59 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I also second a recommendation for Arai. I have a GP6 and it's amazing.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:43 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Note that technically most motorcycle helmets do not have the same approvals as car racing helmets. Also, you'll want to try on helmets as their head shapes vary so the fitment is rather personal. For I've ridden motorcycles all my life and can tell you that the fitment differences between brands is very noticeable. Some are more round, some more oval, etc.

All that said, I have a Simpson helmet for my Porsche and the fitment and quality is very nice. It also has Hans device connectors if I ever get that serious.

One other note: The structure of the ventilation ports are designed differently in car helmets and motorcycles helmets, especially if you go full face like I do. Motorcycles helmets are expected to be out in the airstream and their air flow ports for both head cooling and breathing and designed for this. Similarly, car racing helmets assume you are shielded from the air flow and will ventilate better in a car.

Last edited by StormRune; 03-17-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:43 PM
boatracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 on Stilo! Love mine, fits great and is light. Wine Country did a great job setting up and coordinating with my Hans.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

HJC AR-10 III
Old 03-17-2017, 11:31 PM
sracer
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boatracer
+1 on Stilo! Love mine, fits great and is light. Wine Country did a great job setting up and coordinating with my Hans.
+1 on Stilo, too
Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TAL2GK
Reviving an old thread. I'm resigned to the fact I can't use my expensive motorcycle lid for DE or auto cross, so now I need to select a good one without the ability to try them on.
You could probably just change "Snell M2015" to "Snell A2015" or whatever with a sharpie. Unless you're wearing a full Nomex racing suit, I seriously doubt that there are many situations where having a Auto spec Nomex liner in the helmet is going to be what saves you.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:30 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
You could probably just change "Snell M2015" to "Snell A2015" or whatever with a sharpie. Unless you're wearing a full Nomex racing suit, I seriously doubt that there are many situations where having a Auto spec Nomex liner in the helmet is going to be what saves you.
I think it's the fire rating and also the impact design that are different. Auto helmets are designed for multiple impacts as your head bounces off things in the car cabin vs single impact on the motorcycle helmets.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:11 AM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was prepared to get a Bell M.8 but apparently Bell can't actually supply the market. I was told I'd get it anywhere from July to October for an order placed today.

I ended up with an HJC AR 10 III from SoloRacer. I haven't received it yet, but they took good care of me. I ordered at 5:10 pm yesterday and they hustled to get it ready for UPS pickup 30 minutes later. It should be here in plenty of time for my first autox with the C2S.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:14 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
I think it's the fire rating and also the impact design that are different. Auto helmets are designed for multiple impacts as your head bounces off things in the car cabin vs single impact on the motorcycle helmets.
But a fire rating on your helmet won't matter to you if you're wearing regular clothes that catch on fire and burn you alive, and the multi-impact test included on the auto snell certification is designed to simulate bouncing around a roll cage, which you probably don't have. The design of the motorcycle helmet to protect your head while it bounces down the freeway is probably fine in a regular car cabin doing regular track day or autocross type events.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:30 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
But a fire rating on your helmet won't matter to you if you're wearing regular clothes that catch on fire and burn you alive, and the multi-impact test included on the auto snell certification is designed to simulate bouncing around a roll cage, which you probably don't have. The design of the motorcycle helmet to protect your head while it bounces down the freeway is probably fine in a regular car cabin doing regular track day or autocross type events.
Makes sense to me, but for most track events, motorcycle helmets are not permitted, period. I got a Bell Vador from Wine Country Motorsports. I agree about the personalized fitment. Really no substitute for doing it in person at a good shop.

As for regular clothing, you're right about that, too, which is why I went and got a racing suit, gloves, etc. I feel silly in it, and more than a bit embarrassed wearing it when that spec Miata flies by, but it's my skin, literally.

Quick Reply: Helmets