Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 04:11 AM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmagbita
I was actually just there at Sonoma Raceway this past month for the Porsche World Tour! We were able to drive 7 different Porsches each!

Is the store located within the raceway?
Yes. You need to tell the gatekeeper that you're there for the store and they will let you in and tell you where to park. They're running some sales during the holiday season so you might be able to save a couple dollars. http://winecountrymotorsports.com
Old 12-27-2015, 05:15 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Never saw the point in a full face helmet in a 4S. Too hot and restricts vision so I have Bell open face Mag-1.

I also noted that all the helmets that Porsche hand out at the driving schools are open face too.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:23 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Never saw the point in a full face helmet in a 4S. Too hot and restricts vision so I have Bell open face Mag-1. I also noted that all the helmets that Porsche hand out at the driving schools are open face too.
True, if all you ever drive are coupes. But if you do (permitted) spiders with tops down or open wheel, you have one helmet that can do it all.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:49 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I have both full face and 3/4 helmets - and have used Arai for the past few years but also like and have used Simpsons. A full face is safer and offers more protection, and I will always wear that when solo driving. When Instructing or doing low-speed autocross, I use the the 3/4 if I don't have a communicator wired up as its too hard to have a conversation with students with a full face. If I am using a communicator, then full face.

Why a full face? Ever seen a deer come through the windshield on a track day when the car is going 100 mph? Its ugly. Or have an airbag go off when the student runs his the Armco or a tree? Those exploding airbags are nasty and will leave you with a bloody face. Finally, when you go into the trees themselves (you can tell my track time is East Coast) if prevents intrusions from branches or if the car rolls you have more protection. 20 years of Instructing means you've seen or been in most of those scenarios.

One thing to think about in deciding 3/4 or full face is this - better to wash off sweat than have your jaw wired shut for 8 weeks and undergoing facial reconstruction!

When selecting a helmet, go for good fit obviously - but also light weight. A lot of people are so focused on fit and visibility they overlook the weight. A heavy helmet gets tiring by the end of the day.

Both of these are at Summit Point, my 'Home' track, both in 911's

Old 12-27-2015, 10:37 AM
gbree
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I wore full coverage, until time and experience showed me its a real waste of money
And what experience is that?
Old 12-27-2015, 12:01 PM
sracer
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have had Bell in the past, been using an Arai GP5K for several years. Arai quality is a step up from Bell, IMO. Although the nomex interior shredded quickly - within 2 years, but Arai replaced with no issue at N/C. Never could get a Simpson to fit right, they are shaped differently - you have to try them on. I have a Stilo on order now, liked the fit and the built in sound attenuation. I would not drive with an open helmet in anything whether it has a windshield or not. And buy a balaclava or two, it keeps the stink down a bit and its nice to not stick your head in a wet helmet after a few sessions if you sweat a lot.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:02 PM
sracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbree
And what experience is that?
that always seems to be asked, doesn't it?
Old 12-27-2015, 12:13 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Lots of good advice so far.

I'd also add; sit in your car, in the proper track driving position. Check head room against the headliner and side trim.

Some helmets allow more headroom than others. Important for taller (above 6'2") drivers and/or different car models (993 vs 991 example) or specific options (like sunroofs).

I like my full face HJC. Fit my head. Fits my different cars. And removable inserts for washing and replacing.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:14 PM
gbree
Racer

Originally Posted by sracer
that always seems to be asked, doesn't it?
It's an important question in most instances. I'm just curious.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:25 PM
sracer
Instructor

Don't think there is ever an answer.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:27 PM
gbree
Racer

Originally Posted by sracer
Have had Bell in the past, been using an Arai GP5K for several years. Arai quality is a step up from Bell, IMO. Although the nomex interior shredded quickly - within 2 years, but Arai replaced with no issue at N/C. Never could get a Simpson to fit right, they are shaped differently - you have to try them on. I have a Stilo on order now, liked the fit and the built in sound attenuation. I would not drive with an open helmet in anything whether it has a windshield or not. And buy a balaclava or two, it keeps the stink down a bit and its nice to not stick your head in a wet helmet after a few sessions if you sweat a lot.
Stilo helmets are amazing. You will not be disappointed.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Lots of good advice so far.

I'd also add; sit in your car, in the proper track driving position. Check head room against the headliner and side trim.

Some helmets allow more headroom than others. Important for taller (above 6'2") drivers and/or different car models (993 vs 991 example) or specific options (like sunroofs).

I like my full face HJC. Fit my head. Fits my different cars. And removable inserts for washing and replacing.
+1 I love my HJC HX-10ii
Old 12-27-2015, 06:05 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a pyrotect, good inexpensive full face, but I'm not sure they make them anymore. At least Discovery Parts doesn't sell them. Mine is an SA-05, so I have to get a new one before the next track day. Will probably go for a bell, but have been considering one of these:
http://blackarmorhelmets.com/collect...s/circuit-2015

Last edited by MJG911; 12-27-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:01 PM
sracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbree
Stilo helmets are amazing. You will not be disappointed.
Thanks.
it needs to show up soon, have a race mid January.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:16 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

So am I an *** if I show up with one of my motorcycle helmets?

Quick Reply: Helmets