Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ducktail on Ice for 991.2...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 10:29 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting they "can't" do duck when the dive plane angle of the electric wing looks steeper than .1
Old 12-21-2015, 11:08 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

So does this mean "Duck + Paint to Sample" now= $1 million?????

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...esign-pkg.html
Old 12-22-2015, 04:17 AM
uberspeed3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NewtownGT3
Yay baby!!!! Once you've gone duck....you can't go back ��
Once you quack, you can't go back?
Old 12-22-2015, 08:35 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Throttle Lift
Ibmiked, what wheels are those? Sizes? Love 'em whatever they are!
Thanks! They are GT4 wheels I had installed prior to delivery. Since the car is a GTS it already had 5mm spacers all the way around. I just needed to change the front to a 10mm.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:28 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parnelli
So does this mean "Duck + Paint to Sample" now= $1 million?????

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...esign-pkg.html
Yep, but only because it's a MT.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Still restless
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be quite a scene if we ever run into each other on the road.
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Throttle Lift
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked
Thanks! They are GT4 wheels I had installed prior to delivery. Since the car is a GTS it already had 5mm spacers all the way around. I just needed to change the front to a 10mm.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude174
Interesting they "can't" do duck when the dive plane angle of the electric wing looks steeper than .1
Yeah I'm with you on this one.

At low speeds without the spoiler up there apparently is still enough of a pressure differential between the top and bottom back end of the car to have air flow through the grills into the intercooler and out the bumper exits.

If the ducktail provides some downforce by air pressing on the spoiler then I assume that there must be a pressure increase in front of the ducktail. This higher pressure should be beneficial in forcing air through the grill and eventually into the air cooler.

I'm likely wrong if the ducktail is increasing the net downforce by reducing lift due to airflow over the ducktail as opposed to actually producing more downward force.

I would like to see some theory on how the ducktail performs aerodynamically - maybe something I need to look up somewhere.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:17 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodaleca

At low speeds without the spoiler up there apparently is still enough of a pressure differential between the top and bottom back end of the car to have air flow through the grills into the intercooler and out the bumper exits.

If the ducktail provides some downforce by air pressing on the spoiler then I assume that there must be a pressure increase in front of the ducktail. This higher pressure should be beneficial in forcing air through the grill and eventually into the air cooler.

I'm likely wrong if the ducktail is increasing the net downforce by reducing lift due to airflow over the ducktail as opposed to actually producing more downward force.

I would like to see some theory on how the ducktail performs aerodynamically - maybe something I need to look up somewhere.
I suspect the solid wall of a ducktail must be affecting air entry to the intercooler intake at that grille's trailing edge , so the coming aero kit will probably involve a typical strut supported piece...Maybe they tried a ducktail with a slot across the lower 1/3 but still no luck

Last edited by MKW; 12-22-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

The new spoiler has a much steeper angle of attack with cooling ducts in the set up to assist in ramming air into the intercoolers at speed. No chance of a ducktail for this reason on the turbo motored 991.2....
Old 12-22-2015, 08:16 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
Yep, but only because it's a MT.
Good point! I've tried to explain to "non-Porsche enthusiasts" why the last of the MT's (especially in a PTS color) may hold their value a bit better than PDK's. They all roll their eyes and say 'whatever'.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:38 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Old 12-25-2015, 12:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Interesting

Old 12-25-2015, 12:43 PM
STG
Race Director

Old 12-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodaleca

Technically if the tail is providing any downforce it is due to high velocity air running over the ducktail thus pushing it down. High velocity equals low pressure so the idea that pressure builds up near the air intact is probably incorrect at speed. I haven't seen any wind tunnel tests on this so who knows. BTW - clearly there is some flow separation back there (which is what is needed to start a pressure bubble) because the mechanical tail advances higher when the sunroof is open. This was surely learned in a wind tunnel test.

Quick Reply: Ducktail on Ice for 991.2...