Sponsored by:

40,000 Mile Maintenance Completed Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 12:48 PM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
Well, if that's the case you will be able to provide some hard evidence to that effect.... won't you? Perhaps a phone number to your dealership's GM who is going state , without equivocation, that all DIY service work is accepted without any hesitation as satisfactorily completed for all their CPO'd vehicles?
I don't need to prove anything to you, I'm not worried about this at all, while you are obsessed with it. I'm happy for you that you are 'protecting' the value of your 'investment' by getting routine service work done at your dealer. I realize that you think Porsches are 'special' and their owners become 'special' by association. To me it's just a car. Like many others I own and have owned and will own. Never had a buyer of any car ask for service records or receipts on any car I have sold or traded in, even though I have them.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:54 PM
JohnTz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
Agree. Not the case with TWO Porsche Premium dealers I know. And as mentioned, I've already banked on that once.
Agree. I do all my own maintenance and my last trade was CPOd and sold at a premium from a premium dealer in two days because it was mint not because the dealer did the maintenance. Never heard or seen the requirement to have dealer service for CPO. Just dealer inspection and clear collision history.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:00 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

For you guys that love working on your cars, more to you. Keep up the good work. It will not affect anything regarding resale or trade-ins in the big scope of things.

Trust me, they'll CPO practically anything.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:04 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Awesome DIY. Thank You.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:15 AM
Jvmorrow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic job, with every one of these great DIY posts, I slowly move closer to outfitting my garage according.

My daily is a Honda, and I have changed out the brakes/simple stuff on that, but scared to touch my first Porsche.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:22 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jvmorrow
Fantastic job, with every one of these great DIY posts, I slowly move closer to outfitting my garage according.

My daily is a Honda, and I have changed out the brakes/simple stuff on that, but scared to touch my first Porsche.
Believe it or not, Porsches are one of the easiest cars on the planet to work on. Believe me, I worked at a high-end body shop in high school. Porsche were my favorites, everything comes out with precision and so easily. Even the headlights, it takes 30sec to remove it. Try to remove headlights on a Honda under 30sec. This is great for body shops, door handles/headlights/trims/etc come off easy for paint prep work and repair. The door handles don't even require access to the door panels for removal, it's that easy.

Removing bumpers look intimidating, but it's less than 30min to remove once you get a hang of it.

Why Porsches are easy to work on? They're technically race cars for the road. Every part needs to be easily replaced/repaired at the pit with little amount of tools and time possible. Quicker you can replace parts, the more likely you'll win races. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:02 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92

Finally, isn't your time more valuable? $250/hr after tax is such a pittance.
That's a joke, right? If so, you got me. If not....well, many of us make $30/hour and live frugal lives to afford these cars......
Old 06-10-2016, 10:24 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I love these discussions. We just need to agree there's different strokes for different folks.

If I had multiple cars like some on here do and only have to do the "annual" service I probably would have someone else do it as well but because I'm a high mileage driver and a competent DIY'er that knows his limitations I find working on cars very rewarding.

PLUS ++++ performing the 40K service myself I saved enough for a set of tires which I seem to go through frequently.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:02 AM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

CSK 911 - with your lead I replaced the spark plugs today. My '12 991S doesn't have that small plate covering the front most drivers side plug. All plugs were accessible with wheels off and no need to remove bumper if that is all you are doing.

Plugs are Bosch FGR-5-NQE-04 and torqued to 21 ft lbs. All the small torx head bolts on the heat shields and the screws to hold the coils in place are 7.5 ft lbs. I used a little anti seize compound on them and on the spark plugs.

Total time including jacking up the car, removing rear wheels, replacing plugs and back to wheels on - 2.5 hours. Not bad for first time on this job and that included scrounging from a neighbour the odd tool I didn't have.

Saved $520 Cdn today - thats $208 per hour!
Pleasure of a well done DIY? Priceless!
Old 06-17-2016, 11:13 AM
bittrl1000
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
CSK 911 - with your lead I replaced the spark plugs today. My '12 991S doesn't have that small plate covering the front most drivers side plug. All plugs were accessible with wheels off and no need to remove bumper if that is all you are doing.

Plugs are Bosch FGR-5-NQE-04 and torqued to 21 ft lbs. All the small torx head bolts on the heat shields and the screws to hold the coils in place are 7.5 ft lbs. I used a little anti seize compound on them and on the spark plugs.

Total time including jacking up the car, removing rear wheels, replacing plugs and back to wheels on - 2.5 hours. Not bad for first time on this job and that included scrounging from a neighbour the odd tool I didn't have.

Saved $520 Cdn today - thats $208 per hour!
Pleasure of a well done DIY? Priceless!
Thank you for this additional info. I'm looking forward to doing this later this summer. My 2012 991 C2S has only 25k miles, but is a month past 4 years old. I'm glad to hear that the coils and plugs were accessible by simply removing the wheels and a few heat shields. However, I do not plan to use anti-seize compound, because I believe that Porsche does not recommend it.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by bittrl1000
However, I do not plan to use anti-seize compound, because I believe that Porsche does not recommend it.
Correct.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:00 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by bittrl1000
. . . However, I do not plan to use anti-seize compound, because I believe that Porsche does not recommend it.
Anti seize use comes from experience with me. Similar 6 mm bolts froze into the aluminum front struts on my previous 996 that sheered off.

What is the reason Porsche does not recommend it?
Old 06-18-2016, 12:05 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Deleted
Old 06-18-2016, 02:27 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Here's another shot of the interior. I'm glad the previous owner ordered the 2 tone full leather interior.

Very nice looking interior!
Old 06-20-2016, 11:34 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Very nice looking interior!
Thanks

It was a nice change from the typical black I would have ordered.

The only down side is the splotchiness of the seats either from sweat, water, or what ever is causing it.

It seems after sitting in the garage the staining is nonexistent but sit it out in the sun and they show up.

The ventilated seats are pretty trick but I would probably not order another car with them just because of this.

Quick Reply: 40,000 Mile Maintenance Completed Tonight