Sponsored by:

40,000 Mile Maintenance Completed Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Zonian
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for posting this CSK.
I DIY everything I can too. Was concerned about the parking sensors when removing the bumper cover, but doesn't look to be a problem.
My dealer is not accommodating when it comes to turning off the service warning. Reason given was that if dealer service department turns it off, then maintenance records indicate that service was performed by dealer. So I'm keeping receipts, taking pictures etc for whatever that's worth. The differences among dealer service departments in treatment of customer DIY maintenance is interesting.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:26 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Zonian
The differences among dealer service departments in treatment of customer DIY maintenance is interesting.
You will be really surprised to know our local independent VW dealer has an open shop day once a year. They pick a Saturday, publicize it on local forums and if you are a DIY'er you can come in use their lifts and some speciality tools to do your work. Plus their service techs are on hand for tips and tricks and to get your car on and off the lifts. They also give a nice discount on parts.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:43 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

One thing I did not do the evening I did the spark plugs and all the dirty stuff was to change the interior pollen filter. I was just too tired and dirty to do anything inside the car so I did that today. I was surprised that the interior filter didn't look dirty. They are impregnated with carbon so they are already gray in color. The under hood pre-filter was nasty.

This DIY is pretty handy:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ilter-diy.html

The only thing I did different was to remove the under dash cover completely 3 fasteners vs 2 as in the DIY. This allowed me better access to the little filter door.

Here's the little foam board under dash cover.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:48 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

^^^Thats terrific! Thanks!
Old 12-16-2015, 12:33 PM
Chubby Racer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S

Off topic, but what color leather is that?
Old 12-16-2015, 12:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Chubby Racer
Platinum grey.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Chubby Racer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan
Platinum grey.

Ok, good. I was worried it was agate grey, and that the configurator was misleading!
Old 12-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a fantastic post. Thanks for sharing!

A lot of people are missing the point here. I could probably save time by bringing the car to the dealership, but I enjoy working on my cars. This is fun for me and I'm looking forward to doing this once I hit 40k.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Geez -- what a bunch of negative input for someone sharing with the community. I am sure there is some truth in what you say, but it "all depends" on so many uncontrollable or unknown factors that it's like me predicting how hard it will be to catch a cab in NYC on a Sunday morning while I am living in Hawaii....

I say bravo to to OP for sharing, great post!

And just for kicks, not much of what you say would be true in my own "special" case in that I buy all of my maintenance filters, other bits from my dealer, and rather than reset the maintenance light myself simply have them do it. That way, all of my scary DIY behavior is documented in their wiz-bang computer that everyone is so concerned with. Oh, and they are happy to tell me when I am up for a service bulletin, campaign, or whatever if I simply ask them....

And really, you think a dealer is going to hesitate to sell a car because of lack of confidence in service records because of DIY? LOL
Because this thread has drawn such notreriety I thought I would once again double check and repeat my facts. The bottom line , from my top twenty Porsche USA General manager, is do not , and I repeat , do not self -service your car if you ever hope to have it achieve CPO'd status!

At the time you present your car for such consideration, all the service intervals that were not completed by the dealer will have to be now repeat -performed by the dealer at that time. That means even if you had just changed the spark plugs etc, etc. it would have to be done again at that point by the dealer. I must stress all not-dealer performed services will then need to be caught up at that time. None of the services you self-performed will count, at all. Obviously, this is very costly and somebody is going to have to pay for it. Thus, the final trade value will negatively reflect this complication.

If you look into this matter, as I have, you will find that this is indeed the world according to Porsche today...I don't care how unpopular this might sound, it's the facts of life, plain and simple. You can bank on it.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:36 PM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
Because this thread has drawn such notreriety I thought I would once again double check and repeat my facts. The bottom line , from my top twenty Porsche USA General manager, is do not , and I repeat , do not self -service your car if you ever hope to have it achieve CPO'd status!

At the time you present your car for such consideration, all the service intervals that were not completed by the dealer will have to be now repeat -performed by the dealer at that time. That means even if you had just changed the spark plugs etc, etc. it would have to be done again at that point by the dealer. I must stress all not-dealer performed services will then need to be caught up at that time. None of the services you self-performed will count, at all. Obviously, this is very costly and somebody is going to have to pay for it. Thus, the final trade value will negatively reflect this complication.

If you look into this matter, as I have, you will find that this is indeed the world according to Porsche today...I don't care how unpopular this might sound, it's the facts of life, plain and simple. You can bank on it.
Total BS. Your GM 'friend' is shoveling you manure to protect his service departments bottom line. Classic fear mongering.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:50 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for sharing OP! I'm a diy'er myself and sometime during the holidays I'll be changing my air filters and regular 6 mo. oil change. My dealer resets the service light as well. It was weird to me the first few times I bought oil filters as some dealers "parts" department is a boutique and they look at you like you're from Mars (I guess they are used to people like on this thread chiming in).

Maybe it's just me, but this is an enthusiast brand not just a luxury brand. Or maybe I'm crazy. I know in my local pca group we are enthusiasts who diy and talk about working on the cars quite a bit.

Secondly, of all the cars I've owned and times I've taken them in for service vs DIY, every time I've had an issue with spills, lost or missing parts, improper fill, overfill, wrong viscosity, etc etc etc it's ALWAYS been when I didn't just do it myself.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:14 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
Total BS. Your GM 'friend' is shoveling you manure to protect his service departments bottom line. Classic fear mongering.
Agree. Not the case with TWO Porsche Premium dealers I know. And as mentioned, I've already banked on that once.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:05 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chubby Racer

Here's another shot of the interior. I'm glad the previous owner ordered the 2 tone full leather interior.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:35 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol, agree 100%. I had just assumed we ALL had assumed this was just a dealer or service department guy spreading ridiculous FUD. Rubber stamps! Rubber stamps!! RUBBER STAMPS!!!!!!!!!! =)
Old 12-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, if that's the case you will be able to provide some hard evidence to that effect.... won't you? Perhaps a phone number to your dealership's GM who is going state , without equivocation, that all DIY service work is accepted without any hesitation as satisfactorily completed for all their CPO'd vehicles?

Quick Reply: 40,000 Mile Maintenance Completed Tonight