Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discounts on ordered 991.2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 06:09 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I got a quick 13.4% discount offer for a new 2016 911 turbo yesterday but for $175K after discount I would have to live with a build I didn't like.

Last edited by RONGLOS; 08-04-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:52 AM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thread not updated for a few months, so I'm wondering where the market is at.

I have a NorCal dealer offering 3% off MSRP, with 10% of MSRP as deposit for a C2S build with a likely late Dec/early Jan delivery date. Any thoughts?
Old 08-07-2016, 01:43 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planet

I have a NorCal dealer offering 3% off MSRP, with 10% of MSRP as deposit for a C2S build with a likely late Dec/early Jan delivery date. Any thoughts?
If you place your order now - you get it in January?

I placed my order July 15, 2016 and was told about 6 to 8 weeks on a special build C4S.

You sure the dealer is being straight with you?
Old 08-07-2016, 04:19 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thought 1) 10% of MSRP is, what, about $12,000 for a down payment?
That's a lot for a down payment and, when they ask for that much, IMO, they've concluded your build is weird and it would be a hard sell for them should you decide to back out of the car. Even though you're in California, you may have to fight them for the down payment refund if you do decide to back out.

Thought 2) 3% off MSRP is not much, especially, since your down payment is that high. Are you planning a lease? If so, 3% off is not nearly enough, given what they'll make off you in the end. Finance? Same (unless .9%)

Email dealers around and out of state. Tell them you're ready to buy now at 8% off (maybe start at 10%). Dealers like the "ready to buy now" declaration; so, my guess is, if you cast enough of a wide net, you'll find one who'll jump in.
Try Beverly Hills Porsche for starters. Those guy's are hungry. (Aresh Malek, straight forward, no nonsense)
Good luck with it.
What color do you have in mind, by the way?
Old 08-07-2016, 05:13 PM
planet
Instructor

Originally Posted by fuddman
Thought 1) 10% of MSRP is, what, about $12,000 for a down payment?
That's a lot for a down payment and, when they ask for that much, IMO, they've concluded your build is weird and it would be a hard sell for them should you decide to back out of the car. Even though you're in California, you may have to fight them for the down payment refund if you do decide to back out.

Thought 2) 3% off MSRP is not much, especially, since your down payment is that high. Are you planning a lease? If so, 3% off is not nearly enough, given what they'll make off you in the end. Finance? Same (unless .9%)

Email dealers around and out of state. Tell them you're ready to buy now at 8% off (maybe start at 10%). Dealers like the "ready to buy now" declaration; so, my guess is, if you cast enough of a wide net, you'll find one who'll jump in.
Try Beverly Hills Porsche for starters. Those guy's are hungry. (Aresh Malek, straight forward, no nonsense)
Good luck with it.
What color do you have in mind, by the way?
Thank you (and Bradley) very much. No, I'm not sure they're being straight with me, and it feels like I can do better.

My build is a Silver/Black C2S, nicely optioned: http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMFVMP1
I don't think it's weird enough to justify a 10% deposit. Just seems nicely optioned to me with nothing big missing. 10% of MSRP would be closer to $14k.

(I'm not 100% locked on the build. C4S is only a few $k more. And I'm having a raging internal debate about red/black vs. black. Wheels are also a variable.)

Anyway, this dealer claims they have no C2S build slots left for this calendar year, but they can trade to get one. C2S are very common here in Cali, so that may be true.

I bought 2 bimmers out of area with a dealer in Santa Barbara which was well-respected on Bimmerfest -- so I'm very happy to do that if necessary. Driving back up the PCH back home? No problem.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:42 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

1) Make sure you are dealing with a decision-maker at the dealership, not a salesperson who is making it up as they go along.

2) Your build looks pretty vanilla to me, nothing out of the ordinary. Axle lift and adaptive cruise are the the only somewhat pricey options aren't extremely common.

3) 10% deposit on your order seems extremely high. Perhaps you need to be talking to another dealer.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:06 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Thank you (and Bradley) very much. No, I'm not sure they're being straight with me, and it feels like I can do better.

My build is a Silver/Black C2S, nicely optioned: http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMFVMP1
I don't think it's weird enough to justify a 10% deposit. Just seems nicely optioned to me with nothing big missing. 10% of MSRP would be closer to $14k.

(I'm not 100% locked on the build. C4S is only a few $k more. And I'm having a raging internal debate about red/black vs. black. Wheels are also a variable.)

Anyway, this dealer claims they have no C2S build slots left for this calendar year, but they can trade to get one. C2S are very common here in Cali, so that may be true.

I bought 2 bimmers out of area with a dealer in Santa Barbara which was well-respected on Bimmerfest -- so I'm very happy to do that if necessary. Driving back up the PCH back home? No problem.
I ordered my 991 GTS at P Santa Barbara. Wife put the $1000 deposit down as birthday present for me. Funny thing was, they never even swiped her card so no actual deposit at all. I don't think they were worried about selling it if I backed out. I have never heard of 10% for a deposit. Something is strange there.
Jim
Old 08-07-2016, 06:11 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

C4S has such a nice rear end. And the PCH needs more red color. Whats to debate?
IMO, the more you think about it the more likely you are to slide back into the safety of "greyness" or "blackness." Pull the trigger on that red C4S car - pronto mon!
Old 08-07-2016, 06:15 PM
planet
Instructor

Originally Posted by fuddman
C4S has such a nice rear end. And the PCH needs more red color. Whats to debate?
IMO, the more you think about it the more likely you are to slide back into the safety of "greyness" or "blackness." Pull the trigger on that red C4S car - pronto mon!
Yeah, here's the Silver over Red/Black C4S version of the build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PHUQLK21

Dammit.

I'm penning the local dealer a "thanks but no thanks (and you are crazy)" note, and will investigate SoCal options. If anyone else has a preferred dealer/sales rep, please LMK!
Old 08-07-2016, 06:40 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

I moved from the SF Bay Area to Newport Coast < a year ago, and the Porsche Dealers are much more price competitive in SoCal than the Bay Area. I have a Turbo on order to be built within a month with 5.5% off, and a $2K refundable deposit -- have a written contract. This is on a $168 sticker. I've found Beverly Hills Porsche and Pacific Porsche very price competitive. Speak with the internet Sales Guy / Gal at each. I ordered in May so not sure of current build dates. Heres my config:
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...px?c=/PHI4KGN9
Newport Beach Porsche would not discount.
Good luck.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:21 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

It seems like the typical discount for non-special edition P sport cars is in the range of 4-7% if you're willing to look around. Later in the cycle I've seen slightly larger discounts. Right now I'd shoot for 5-6% and if I couldn't get at least 5 -- I'd find a different dealer.

There's nothing special or limited about a 991.2 in the production process.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:00 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Not surprised by the dates. My build locked last month and isn't scheduled to be done until late October. They have very low production in August, and they're having some supplier issues with the PCM system due to an earthquake in Japan that could introduce indirect delays.

10% down is unusual and high. I put $1000 down on mine and built it a fair bit above the MRM, so it wouldn't be a trivial resale if I were to back out. After the build locked they asked if I would be ok increasing the deposit to $5000, and I told them sure. If I had said no I am sure they would have let it go. I just thought from their perspective it wasn't unreasonable to ask.

The cars are easy to sell right now, so heavy discounts will take some searching. 1.5-3% seems to be a typical offer, and you may get it down to 4-5% if you pick the right guy and the right day of the month so they can hit their numbers. Last month the Macan delivery delay really messed up the numbers for a lot of dealers, so they may have been more willing than usual to cut a deal. Discounts of 6% and over seem to be region specific.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:46 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I managed to get three percent on a C2S - probably could have done better interstate, however, factoring travel and time ~ a wash I'm happy. I was told to expect delivery in about 6 months.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:51 AM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Call Eric Ernst at Circle Porsche......I custom ordered my TARGA GTS and got a really solid discount when no dealers were giving them. Eric really worked with me into a targa....
Old 02-20-2017, 10:30 PM
homeskillet
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went through Costco Auto Program. Local dealer here in SoCal made an offer which was effectively 7.7% off MSRP on an 991.2 C2 ~$116k build order. He said Costco offers a certain amount above invoice, and the discount is progressive as more options gets added.

Quick Reply: Discounts on ordered 991.2?