Sponsored by:

PTV/PTV Plus for snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 07:18 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PTV/PTV Plus for snow

My 991.2 C4 PDK/SC will be driven year round in Wisconsin.
I will order an OEM Winter Wheel/Tire set.
The literature on the PTV/PTV Plus describes the feature braking the rear wheels for "increased stability".
Maybe nice on sliipery(ice) surfaces but what about 3-4"of snow.
My XC70's have 'Traction Control' which brakes a slipping wheel but can be turned OFF in snow other wise you run the risk of coming to a complete stop if the snow is deep enough as the braking wheels do not turn to continue momentum even though the wheels may be slipping.
I have had this happen to me until I understood how the 'Traction control' worked. Similar to locking 'out' the differential in a 4x4 with AWD Mode.
Any experience with PTV/PTV Plus in snow would be appreciated.
Thanks.-Richard
Old 12-09-2015, 08:39 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 240 Posts

I am not sure but clearance may be more of an issue than slippage. The PTV+ is an electronic limited slip differential. The benefit will be that both rear wheels will always have available traction, unless both wheels are slipping. This technology was designed for the track, not snow. It will be interesting to see how it works in the snow. Let us know, as I have no plans to have my car in the snow anytime soon.

Also, you will save a bundle using other than OEM winter wheels and tires. My Avatar shows the Sport Cup 4's (19) in silver with Pirelli Sotozero's. The wheels can be had for $800 from Tire Rack and the tires will be almost $100 less in price each.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:47 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

PTV only activates at high speed high-G turn in. Outside of track driving, I doubt it even gets activated in normal driving let alone snowy conditions (and it sounds like a really bad idea on ice)!
The 991.2 will have Porsche's first 2-stage PSM deactivation feature allowing one press to turn on dynamic traction control (what you liked in your Volvo) and a long press to turn PSM off completely (except under ABS braking) - current cars just provide the latter. The low speed traction control is via the rear brakes, so this should work well - your C4 with winter tires will be unstoppable through about 6" or less of snow!
Old 12-09-2015, 08:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Yeah, a C4 in the snow with proper tires, will be pretty stout.

I saw your Mexico Blue PTS Boxster this summer at out Autocross event in Schaumburg. Nice car!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:13 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Driven many porsches in the snow/ice - last year it was a 991 GT3 and Macan Turbo. Actually prefered the GT3 over the Macan but never had any issue with PVT or Traction control.

Just be smooth with your inputs - very surprising to hear your XC70 is digging in, but I'm guessing you're also on all-seasons? I would put it down more to these than Traction Control - tires matter more than anything else...
Old 12-10-2015, 07:43 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Driven many porsches in the snow/ice - last year it was a 991 GT3 and Macan Turbo. Actually prefered the GT3 over the Macan but never had any issue with PVT or Traction control.

Just be smooth with your inputs - very surprising to hear your XC70 is digging in, but I'm guessing you're also on all-seasons? I would put it down more to these than Traction Control - tires matter more than anything else...
At that time Perelli Scorpian's ST's. Now on Nokian WR G3 SUV's.
Tire really didn't matter as with Traction Control ON and deep snow, they will all bog down with the XC70's but just turn Traction Control OFF and it's about as good as any SUV out there. I drive to my hunting spots on snowmobile trails and it's the drifts that can get you.
So now before going off road or in snow more than a few inches, I turn Traction Control OFF. Actually the process is to turn DSTC OFF which turns Traction Control OFF and does little to Dynamic Stability.

So what I glean from the comments is that PTV and PTV + would be of no use and the 991.2 PSM will have a mode allowing rear wheel to brake if slipping?
-Richard

Quick Reply: PTV/PTV Plus for snow