Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripper GTS - what options will I miss?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 11:39 AM
MACH 86
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Out side of looks I would not get CL wheels. They are a bother to remove a tire. Requires a torque wrench, 3/4" baker bar and special grease to remove and replace. As a general statement, no body except a Porsche shop should work on them. However if your are an experience wrench swinger have at it they are a fun challenge.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:58 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MACH 86
Out side of looks I would not get CL wheels. They are a bother to remove a tire. Requires a torque wrench, 3/4" baker bar and special grease to remove and replace. As a general statement, no body except a Porsche shop should work on them. However if your are an experience wrench swinger have at it they are a fun challenge.
Counter point: I'm almost 38 and have never taken off a wheel. And CL's are bad ***.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:46 PM
MACH 86
Instructor

Like said "out side of looks". You might also like them if you have skinned knuckles. Fun and a good challenge.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:59 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Specifically got the 5 lug carrera S wheels painted black on my GTS since I change my wheels to 19" snows to tackle the NE winter. I must admit I do prefer the CL look but couldn't deal with their "limitations".
Old 12-05-2015, 03:32 PM
MACH 86
Instructor

Might also suggest if you don't have a lift a set of Jack Point Jack stands and jack are nice. A 19 year old to hold the brakes while you mount and dismount. The Wheels!!!!!
Old 12-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

I've been looking too...would you mind sharing what % discount you've been able to procure?

I think the extra $$$ required for the GTS package are a compete waste unless you absolutely have to have it. $8K in interior goodies is crazy - doesn't make the car any faster or more fun.

My build had 4-way seats, black leather (which I could live without) sunroof and Bose, park distance as you need it when you don't have power seats (and live in the city).

In my opinion the value package the GTS represents is totally lost at $135K with all those options.

And you'll never see those dollars on resale, although it may take a little longer to find the right buyer.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:57 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Easy, get the GTS package. It's part of the GTS experience, it contributes to the fun, it's what would be a must-have if I was buying a used GTS 5, 10, 20 years down the line.

Personally, a de-GTSized stripper isn't for me. Give me full-fat any day!

Some may throw financials into the argument and you may/may not get some of your money back on the options when you come to sell, but most would agree that that's not the point of a 911. It's about having fun. Examine a few GTS examples at dealers - you'll soon come to the conclusion that's correct for you.
The following users liked this post:
hoffusmc_09 (05-15-2021)
Old 12-06-2015, 10:53 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
I'm a firm believer that the GTS interior and CL wheels make this car extra special.
+1
Old 12-08-2015, 11:48 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PatrickC23
I am probably going to be the only one here that opted not to get the GTS interior. I loved the deviated stitching but can't stand carbon fiber, and given that, couldn't justify the cost of the option. I preferred the black aluminum and alcantara was standard. I was confused, but on the configurator adding GTS Interior required two options which equaled $7900 and that wasn't worth it to me versus the PDLS plus, rear camera, PDK, 18 ways, GT Silver must have options for me. The other option is probably to add the leather so that it could be stitched, but I never looked into it because that was out from Day 1.

If choosing between a car with no options though, I would probably pick the one with the GTS interior.
I found Porsche very stern about the Interior options that can be ordered with and without the GTS markings. It's either all GTS or Nothing at all! Or nearly.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:52 AM
The New 911
Pro

To me the GTS will be Porsche's Ferrari where you must have specific options for a good resale in the future. That and Low miles however all of us know that Porsche makes their car's to be driven.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:12 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MACH 86
Might also suggest if you don't have a lift a set of Jack Point Jack stands and jack are nice. A 19 year old to hold the brakes while you mount and dismount. The Wheels!!!!!
There are some great videos showing the centerlock process -have you watched one? I believe you are making it much more onerous than it actually is, and any car requires a jack. You don't need a lift or jackstands. You don't need a third person if you use a spreader clamp available for $30.
If you have a jack, buy a $28 tube of grease and a torque wrench which BTW can fit in your frunk, you can remove your wheel in 5 minutes. Choosing 5 lugs on a GTS is like choosing 19" base carrera wheels on a C2S. You're downgrading.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:10 PM
roadwellheeled
Intermediate

I am in agreement with those not liking the 'murdered-out' look. But these wheels just fit the personality and is a differentiating aspect of the car. Food for thought to those considering the traditional C2S wheels, As an owner of a C2 corvette, I see the CL wheels in the same rarified matter as the Knock-Off wheels from 60's Corvettes. They will be coveted in the future.

Quick Reply: Stripper GTS - what options will I miss?