Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripper GTS - what options will I miss?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 02:53 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opposite end of the spectrum

I opted out of GTS interior--It was a bit too over the top for this conservative guy--what appear;ed here was picking up the sport chrono pkg and extra hp--plus i did like the black styling details front (spoiler,lights) and rear (grill and pipes) along with CL wheels
Old 12-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Another vote for non-GTS interior. Love the deviated stitching, but don't like the carbon fiber. I think the black brushed aluminum accents look very nice. It's really subjective of what kind of look you are going for. Only if it was a no-cost option would I have considered the GTS interior--and obviously it's not so it was an easy choice.

Don't be afraid to like something that isn't expensive--see the base 911 thread as well. I initially wanted the LED lights since I just assumed they were better, but after looking at them side by side at the dealer I found something doesn't feel right about that ring. Feels tacked on, and reminds me of a VW Bug or a Mini Cooper.

(as an aside I love the "tight" 4 point DRL from the other models, including the basic lights on the 991.2, they're the best look Porsche has for lights I think)
Old 12-04-2015, 05:58 PM
roadwellheeled
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for NeuroticHamsters response. Clean and simple. I ordered mine with the following options:

7-speed manual, PASM

Sunroof delete - Over the long haul, its another seal that can rot over time and lead to wind noise. To my OCD, it impacts the visual essence. Lastly that's what I have a convertible for.

Alcantara delete - Wearing over time was a concern and I didn't want the areas of high-wear to develop a sheen.

Standard radio - no antannae wart on the rear. Also, research a recent post about acoustics on the forum and going with the standard radio option may save you $2k.

Smoking package - lighter placement is key here.

Standard interior trim - one seatbelt slap to the carbon fiber will leave you swearing. I also like the darker aluminum standard trim. I believe this is unique to the GTS?

Painted rear valence and side skirts - Visual appeal and avoidance of color changes to the black areas / graying over time

Model designation delete on rear and sides - For those in the know, the CL wheels and black engine grille communicates this is a GTS. Living in Hamburg for the past 5 years and seeing de-badged cars everywhere, I've grown to appreciate subtleties like this.

I did however splurge on the 18-way seats as I like the way the lateral bolstering snugs you into the seats and it aids me in keeping good posture.

Back-up camera / sensors? - Parallel parking is a recipe for bumper dings from other drivers. I for one believe that it should be a requisite for those driving these cars to have the spatial skills necessary to determine distances to other objects. Besides, IMO the parking sensors again disrupt the lines of the car.

My only regret, not ordering in time for PTS and having ability to get Mexico Blue. I opted for GT Silver metallic instead for its ability to show off the lines of the car and its depth of color IMO vs. other silver shades.

-Todd
Old 12-05-2015, 12:56 AM
pcosta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sounds like I'm in the minority. I did get the GTS with the interior package and I was afraid that the red stitching would be over the top. I actually love it and I think it does make the car special. My wife, who can have a very critical eye, surprised me, a couple of months after we got the car, by saying how beautiful the interior looked.

It just looks classy...
Old 12-05-2015, 01:05 AM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pcosta
I sounds like I'm in the minority. I did get the GTS with the interior package and I was afraid that the red stitching would be over the top. I actually love it and I think it does make the car special. My wife, who can have a very critical eye, surprised me, a couple of months after we got the car, by saying how beautiful the interior looked.

It just looks classy...
Same here, I've also ordered the interior package with red stitching. It's pricy but my wife and I love the look.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:29 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The base radio is awful. Improve the source and its marginally tolerable, but still bad. There's no sub either. Fine if you really don't want a radio, but if you do, the Bose is the minimum. My alarm clock radio sounds better than the HD radio in my Carrera.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:34 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Can always install a kick *** after market sound system that beats what Porsche has to offer. T
Old 12-05-2015, 01:37 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by 77tony
Can always install a kick *** after market sound system that beats what Porsche has to offer. T
No you can't. You can't just swap in another head unit. Won't work with the PCM.

And it not just the head, it's the amp, it's the lack of the sub, and it's the ****ty speakers.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:48 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...e-2015-4s.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...o-upgrade.html
Attached Images      
Old 12-05-2015, 01:50 AM
gbree
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Definitely the Bose sound system.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:10 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Did you actually read those threads? One is a speaker upgrade on a Bose system. The other is a very expensive amp/driver/speaker upgrade that costs multiples of just speccing the Bose. Neither is a replacement of the HD head unit.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:44 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Before I recently sold the 94 928 GTS, installed a modernish double din head unit, 3 way Focals up front (driven by there own dedicated amp) a 10" sub out back, again driven by a dedicated amp. Sounded way better than the current Bose system in the 50th, and that's with the upgraded Burmeister tweeters & sub. This was all done for under $ 2,000 (I did the install) If I were to order a new 911 today, I would push for a radio delete option (don't know if that's even possible) or order with the base system, rip it out and install a full custom sound system. Currently use iPod for music, Waze for mapping/cop detection so current head unit would not be missed.02 T
Attached Images     
Old 12-05-2015, 03:18 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Unfortunately, it's not possible to swap out the head unit in the 991 like you could on earlier models.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:11 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Options are usually based on where one lives. For instance. A car in the northeast will never sell if it doesn't have heated seats.
Being that the car sits so low. Dimming mirrors are also a good option. I went with the glass roof and Bose but opted out of the gts communication package with deviated stitching. The standard interior already has deviated stitching on the seats. In a grayish color but is missing the leather dash. The leather dash is nice to have but I didn't think of it as a must have item.
If you intend on dd. The park assist or rear view camara is nice but if its a weekender than it would be a flip of a coin for me. I opted for park assist in the rear since it's just a fare weather car.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:38 AM
GT325
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Have the carmine red GTS communication interior package. While expensive I think it is very sharp and really love the interior. My previous 991 C2S had the standard partial leather black interior and it always bothered me how the dash and door cards felt, really didn't fit in a 100k car felt more like a 30k Honda.

If I wear to order GTS I would NOT spec the "standard interior with alcantara" as it has the plastic stuff. A good compromise cost wise that I would consider would be the leather interior in black with alcantara inclu GTS interior package at 3850. It gets you all the nice leather and alcantara upgrades without the red bits on the tach, seat belts, floor mats and red stitching. Also keeps the black Aluminum trim. I didn't really understand that option when I got my GTS so I also got the red option which adds 4120 in addition to the 3850.

Quick Reply: Stripper GTS - what options will I miss?