Sponsored by:

Euro Delivery Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:20 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Euro Delivery Questions

Currently have my MT GTS Targa build including ED. However, the dealer is trying to pass their $3k cost (for this zero dollar option) directly along to me. Two questions to determine how to best proceed:

1. Is it SOP/fair for the dealer to make ED an either/or option to the customer? ('Either $3k discount off MSRP OR the trip of a lifetime to the factory?')

2. What, exactly, is included in the ED program? I'd like to get a precise dollar amount on the package to perform a basic break-even analysis. Couldn't find anything on RL doing a Google search.

Thanks for any and all input.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:36 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I know the dealer does get charged for it by Porsche. The $3K sounds about right. Usually, they figure it in the discount they're giving you.

Did you add the EU delivery after the negotiation? This passed along to you ever come up in previous negations/discussions?

Larry just did it this year as have many others. He will have insight.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:58 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Dealer didn't give me much room on negotiating the car as it was their last 991.1 GTS Targa allocation. When we first configured the car, it was either the $3k cash back (2.9% discount off MSRP) or Euro delivery. I took the modest cash back.

The car had to be reconfigured since the original GR interior was no longer available. By then, I reached out to Exclusive who was far more encouraging in spec'ing the car than the dealer ever was. (The amazing people in Atlanta let me do things that the dealer insisted were impossible.) The new spec pushed MSRP up an additional $25k or so. Atlanta offered to add ED and I happy obliged.

But now I'm in a possible grey area with the dealer and trying to evaluate options.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:07 AM
STG
Race Director

Well then your talk should happen with Atlanta/PCNA. The dealer negotiation was pretty clear and you took the cash instead of the delivery. Don't see any grey area there.

PCNA are the ones who offered to throw in EU delivery. Geez, after adding another $25K in options, that's the least they could do.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:15 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STG991
Well then your talk should happen with Atlanta/PCNA. The dealer negotiation was pretty clear and you took the cash instead of the delivery. Don't see any grey area there.

PCNA are the ones who offered to throw in EU delivery. Geez, after adding another $25K in options, that's the least they could do.
Both fantastic points! Thank you. Will reach out to PCNA as I want to preserve the dealer relationship.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:20 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Both fantastic points! Thank you. Will reach out to PCNA as I want to preserve the dealer relationship.
After all, they're the ones who offered to throw it in. The dealer negotiation part of it is very clear.

PCNA should offer no charge to the dealer if you can hopefully remind them of their offer. Hopefully they have a good memory!
Old 12-03-2015, 11:30 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

The $3k additional invoice cost to the dealer is quite real, but it sounds like you already know that. I don't think you have any recourse with PCNA, but it sounds like a dealer whose doorstep you're not going to darken again.

The ED includes airport transportation vouchers and either one or two nights hotel in Stuttgart (I think it's one, but can't remember), as well as the delivery experience, tour and (I think) lunch in Zuffenhausen (I'm assuming you're doing Zuffenhausen, and not Leipzig). It also includes a couple weeks of insurance in Europe.

My guess is that you'd struggle to make the $3k pencil out if it's a hard nosed ROI. But if you place a value the time of the people in Zuffenhausen and of the experience, it's a no-brainer.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:49 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Fuzzy. Definitely don't want to discount any hard costs passed along to the dealer. Will see if the nice folks in ATL will absorb the ED cost to keep dealer negotiations clean and pure.

Appreciate your perspective on the ROI too.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:00 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Currently have my MT GTS Targa build including ED. However, the dealer is trying to pass their $3k cost (for this zero dollar option) directly along to me. Two questions to determine how to best proceed:

1. Is it SOP/fair for the dealer to make ED an either/or option to the customer? ('Either $3k discount off MSRP OR the trip of a lifetime to the factory?')

2. What, exactly, is included in the ED program? I'd like to get a precise dollar amount on the package to perform a basic break-even analysis. Couldn't find anything on RL doing a Google search.

Thanks for any and all input.
Yes, the $3K is a real charge but a good dealer will absorb it in return for future consideration from PCNA. It used to be, the dealer would get a 1:1 incremental allocation in exchange for this, and that was a great deal for them especially on high demand / low availability models.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:02 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Red. Most interesting
Old 12-03-2015, 03:33 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was considering delivery of my Macan Turbo in Germany but was advised, up front, that the dealer would have to pass the $3k charge (its for the insurance over there) on to me as otherwise, with delivery here, there cost would be $3k less so to speak. They were not prepared to actually discount the car another $3k from what they did. I don't blame them.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:41 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting as I did ED with BMW, and their program worked out to be a 7% discount on top of what I negotiated off the MSRP. Glad I did it once already as I don't think Id pay up for it, waiting for the M5 to get stateside after seeing it in Germany was excruciating.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:32 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always do business with another dealership! The extra $25k in options is 15% profit margin so if they gave you the ED @ a $3k cost to them they are still ahead of the game in profit. Although minimal they are not getting a shorter deal than the one you negotiated.

Tell them "this isn't my 1st Porsche nor my last, but it could very well be the last dealings with your business. No worries- hundreds of Porsche dealers happy to have fly-in cash customers at a few points off sticker. "

you are in control until they have a signed deal. GL selling a car on the lot at the price you negotiated.. it may happen, but dealers don't like to play in the --- i'll lose a deal and replace it. No they want this deal and the next deal.

GL from someone who worked as a Porsche sales professional. Now go make them beg for your business! I hear the new 991.2 C2S is a new option or whatever new Targa you like I mean.. gd you are spending a fortune they should go to work for you!
Old 12-03-2015, 04:34 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
You could always do business with another dealership! .
But is there a deposit at stake for the OP?
Old 12-03-2015, 04:49 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by red route 1
Yes, the $3K is a real charge but a good dealer will absorb it in return for future consideration from PCNA. It used to be, the dealer would get a 1:1 incremental allocation in exchange for this, and that was a great deal for them especially on high demand / low availability models.
+1
My dealer told me their cost was $3K but they got an extra allocation to balance everything out.

Quick Reply: Euro Delivery Questions