Sponsored by:

Euro Delivery Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 04:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
I know the dealer does get charged for it by Porsche. The $3K sounds about right. Usually, they figure it in the discount they're giving you.

Did you add the EU delivery after the negotiation? This passed along to you ever come up in previous negations/discussions?

Larry just did it this year as have many others. He will have insight.
I believe the PCNA to dealer chargeback was actually $4k, I got the RL discount from Sonnen but no more since they bore the cost of the ED chargeback, but
they also get an additional model allocation that they would not have otherwise
had so I think the dealer comes out reasonably well ...

Not entirely sure what the discussion was between Exclusive and the OP but I
think it might be hard to make PCNA eat the ED cost...

Also note for ED, if you are not leasing you will more than likely have to
escrow VAT on the car with the dealer until such time as it is exported from
the EU.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:44 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickC23
But is there a deposit at stake for the OP?
Deposits are refundable unless you signed something stating otherwise. a off the wall PTS selection could result in a non-refundable deposit at the time of order as an example.

& then nothing is in stone if you can pencil whip someone or have a good attorney that will write a letter.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:42 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
Deposits are refundable unless you signed something stating otherwise. a off the wall PTS selection could result in a non-refundable deposit at the time of order as an example.

& then nothing is in stone if you can pencil whip someone or have a good attorney that will write a letter.
Got a good faith deposit with the dealer. The complicating factor is that the car was significantly customized after the original spec fell through due to GR being discontinued.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:52 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

You could always do business with another dealership! The extra $25k in options is 15% profit margin so if they gave you the ED @ a $3k cost to them they are still ahead of the game in profit. Although minimal they are not getting a shorter deal than the one you negotiated.

Tell them "this isn't my 1st Porsche nor my last, but it could very well be the last dealings with your business. No worries- hundreds of Porsche dealers happy to have fly-in cash customers at a few points off sticker. "

you are in control until they have a signed deal. GL selling a car on the lot at the price you negotiated.. it may happen, but dealers don't like to play in the --- i'll lose a deal and replace it. No they want this deal and the next deal.

GL from someone who worked as a Porsche sales professional. Now go make them beg for your business! I hear the new 991.2 C2S is a new option or whatever new Targa you like I mean.. gd you are spending a fortune they should go to work for you!
German, just caught your post. Great info. Thank you.

This is for a 991.1 GTS Targa. I'm trying to be a gentleman and hoping the dealer will conduct themselves in the same manner.

They did try to trade in my PTS '97 TechArt 993TT with 28k miles. It's not for sale and if it were the cash flow would have had to flow in the opposite direction
Old 12-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

You could always do business with another dealership! The extra $25k in options is 15% profit margin so if they gave you the ED @ a $3k cost to them they are still ahead of the game in profit. Although minimal they are not getting a shorter deal than the one you negotiated.

Tell them "this isn't my 1st Porsche nor my last, but it could very well be the last dealings with your business. No worries- hundreds of Porsche dealers happy to have fly-in cash customers at a few points off sticker. "

you are in control until they have a signed deal. GL selling a car on the lot at the price you negotiated.. it may happen, but dealers don't like to play in the --- i'll lose a deal and replace it. No they want this deal and the next deal.

GL from someone who worked as a Porsche sales professional. Now go make them beg for your business! I hear the new 991.2 C2S is a new option or whatever new Targa you like I mean.. gd you are spending a fortune they should go to work for you!
that could be difficult with a GTS Targa...
Old 12-03-2015, 07:21 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

^ Exactly Larry. Allocations were almost entirely dried up and I didn't want to derail the purchase over a few percentage points.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:42 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
^ Exactly Larry. Allocations were almost entirely dried up and I didn't want to derail the purchase over a few percentage points.
Makes sense. It's easy to get caught up in the "deal" but lose sight of the big picture.

Also, Larry makes a good point about the escrow of $$$ to cover VAT. I wanted to finance my car and that was almost a deal killer. BUT, my dealer did me a solid in that regard and stuck my check in a drawer and then tore it up when I took delivery, so I didn't have to find and tie up roughly $30k for 90 days. Experience on this is mixed, but the collection of VAT escrow is (PCNA's words), "at the discretion of the dealer."
Old 12-04-2015, 01:32 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just seems to be in the scope it's not a problem from my shoes if the option list comes back with another $25k added. Many times I would discount options separately & tossed certain options in for the customer along with discounts. I also sold options into packages and loaded cars up as well don't get me wrong. I had a PTS Polar Silver 997TT that I got up pretty good & now it would look like a bargain if the spec'ing customer hadn't requested tiptronic over manual. I digress- I think this whole who takes the $3k lick is beneath me mentioning it if a customer is getting a euro-delivery, which will most likely give me a strong advocate for Porsche, the store, & myself personally last -maybe. That's how you give a Porsche experience IMO..but wtf do I know. I worked at 1 store for a few years & treated ppl the way my BMW M3 (e36,e46) salesman acted.. "smiling Al" wasn't a bad character to play.

I think y'all are paying a ****load for this vehicle IMO & ppl should be happy buyers are around for such a vehicle. Maybe I just haven't been drinking the kool-aid. I really wonder where this market has arrived after a 997TT was around $132-140k.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:01 AM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

As n2cars and Larry have mentioned, the dealer will get an extra allocation, which more than covers the $3k euro delivery. There is no legitimate reason they should be passing on the charge to you.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Apologies to OP - as I am using this thread to ask for advice on this - but I have done ED several times w/ BMWs - and got discounts @7%! This $3k charge is news to me (WTF profanity sprang to mind).

I am getting ready to send my specs to several dealers (incl. ED), in the $130sk range, so plenty of fat margin options. And I get appreciate that the dealer gets an extra slot 1:1 (a fillip for them).

Should I be expecting the dealers not to negotiate on this? ie, % off then add back $3k? Is that the norm? Or do some dealers 'eat' the charge? Just want to have a fair idea on what I can expect.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:10 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Temporary hijack perfectly ok 917 lol It's actually quite on point.

My car is loaded up on options and the dealer historically tried to pass the $3k on to me for ED during negotiations. Part of this might be the fact I'm getting one of the last 991.1 GTS Targa allocations out there. But methinks this is SOP for my dealership.

Last edited by TorqueChap; 12-05-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

My dealer doesn't try to pass along the $3k ED charge. They eat it, but they are pretty firm about not discounting the car as a result. So basically their profit margin, less the amount you could otherwise have negotiated as a discount, is your cost of the vacation use of the car.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Bucaro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^. If they are not charging you $3,000 above MSRP, they are technically not charging you extra for it. If you are custom ordering your car and getting ED, don't expect a huge discount, either...
Old 12-07-2015, 10:10 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

After I negotiated my discount for my Club Coupe, I then decided to do ED. The dealership said that they could not offer that level of discount, as they were charged $3k for ED. That said, I added the $3k back into my discounted price.

I did delivery at Leipzig for the track experience, and dropped it off in Stuutgart. This should be an offered program. I had a factory tour at both facilities, a lunch in Leipzig, a trip to the museum in Stuttgart, and great photos and memories along the way.

I want to do it again!
Old 12-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 917k
Apologies to OP - as I am using this thread to ask for advice on this - but I have done ED several times w/ BMWs - and got discounts @7%! This $3k charge is news to me (WTF profanity sprang to mind).

I am getting ready to send my specs to several dealers (incl. ED), in the $130sk range, so plenty of fat margin options. And I get appreciate that the dealer gets an extra slot 1:1 (a fillip for them).

Should I be expecting the dealers not to negotiate on this? ie, % off then add back $3k? Is that the norm? Or do some dealers 'eat' the charge? Just want to have a fair idea on what I can expect.
my experience is that dealers typically will not eat this charge back ... they will
find a way to pass it onto you - typically by taking it out of any discount off of MSRP.

also be aware that if you BUY the car, they will most likely ask you to escrow the GST/VAT while the car remains in the EU.

Quick Reply: Euro Delivery Questions