Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.5% off MSRP for a 16 911 GTS a "good" deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 11:45 PM
sp330
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I can understand the OP feeling some uncertainty with his price and can also understand what others are saying. I paid too much for an S class once and realized it in hindsight maybe a month later, it was my first very nice car and I didn't regret it because the specific car was the right one for me. I feel you are in the same position.

The reason why some have been critical is you left a deposit and while it is fully refundable, going back on your word is not a particularly desirable trait. However if you wish to get a better price maybe nitpick about something else and see if they'll sweeten the deal. Best of luck!
Old 11-26-2015, 11:50 PM
Cdub2235
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sp330
I can understand the OP feeling some uncertainty with his price and can also understand what others are saying. I paid too much for an S class once and realized it in hindsight maybe a month later, it was my first very nice car and I didn't regret it because the specific car was the right one for me. I feel you are in the same position.

The reason why some have been critical is you left a deposit and while it is fully refundable, going back on your word is not a particularly desirable trait. However if you wish to get a better price maybe nitpick about something else and see if they'll sweeten the deal. Best of luck!

Thanks for the insight and I agree
Old 11-26-2015, 11:57 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdub2235
How should I know better this is my first day posting here. The only interaction I've had with him/her hasn't gave me a good impression at all. I've lurked here for a while and I just wanted some advice and folks to chat with about my thoughts.

Thanks for your opinion. I agree mostly.
If you don't know better, then don't make comments about a 0% discount.

Anyway, I hope this car works out for you and welcome to the boards. Tomorrow should be a better day

Please post pics and specs if/when you get it. The GTS is an amazing car. This few % +/- isn't a big deal in the long run. This particular car will be depreciating approx $1,500- $2K a month the first year. In the big scope of things worrying about a few points should be the least of your concerns. If your gut tells you this car is for me, go for it.

Happy Thanksgiving too

Last edited by STG; 11-27-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:05 AM
STG
Race Director

By the way LexVan is a guy. Seems like the kind of guy that you could trust to do a deal with a handshake. Hard to find these days. He does have pet peeves about guys doing car deals and trying to weasel out of them. My pet peeve is duplicate posts (to name one)! You'll get to know all the guys here. Lots of good info and helpful enthusiasts here. Hope you get the car. You won't regret it, trust me.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:14 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by sp330
The reason why some have been critical is you left a deposit and while it is fully refundable, going back on your word is not a particularly desirable trait. !
He left a deposit on a dealer spec car, not a custom order. And again, in Cali it doesn't mean what it does in most other States.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:16 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
He left a deposit on a dealer spec car, not a custom order. And again, in Cali it doesn't mean what it does in most other States.
What flys in Cali, doesn't go over well in most states either

As I'm reading the news headlines ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ductivity.html
Old 11-27-2015, 12:31 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

You are starting at a disadvantage when two dealers are involved in the deal. Both dealers want to make a profit. You would have have more negotiating power ir the car was sitting on the lot as oppose to an ordered car. Also, there are shipping cost involved, around $1000 more. I personally would never buy a car without being able to inspect it before buying. Any imperfections on the car you might have to jump thru hoops to have them corrected. The GTS is a limited production car, therefore, dealers are less inclined to give deep discounts. I was able to get 7% off MSRP on my 2015 off the lot because I was a repeat customer with a partner brand. Ask for 6% in order to get 5% off and considered a fair deal.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:01 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

So I picture a few nasty old bored RL farts sitting in front of their computer screen with bloated tummies after too much food and drink, loading up and being mean to a newbie who may be in a little over his head buying a $120+k P-car. But the newbie is just that, and he is humbly asking for advice and honestly stating his situation. If he had all this down pat he wouldn't be asking. It's the holiday season... we could all be a little kinder...

FWIW -- I drove a 991 GTS (w PDK) at the local Porsche Roadshow event recently and felt the car was absolutely spectacular. Awesome two-way car... spectacularly beautiful and comfortable and luxurious on the one hand, and then press a couple buttons and it is among the most exciting and exacting performance cars made on the planet. Only in light of the sharper (and more uncompromising) 991GT3 does the GTS seem less than the ultimate NA 911. For all but the most hard core among is, the GTS is more car than one would ever want. Brilliant briliant car IMO.

And they aren't making any more of them. If it were me, I would not quibble over a couple grand if I could have a well spec'd car in hand and start enjoying it.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:58 AM
CChung
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would try to deal directly with the dealer that the car is originally being delivered to, you might be able to get a better discount. And this is probably the best time of the year to get a good discount, right after Thanksgiving when everyone is shopping at the mall and not at dealerships buying a car.
Incidentally, I've been following STG991's thread on hot picks in the used 991 market. I appreciate his time in helping buyers finding a preowned 991 at a good value. I consider him the authority in pricing and availability in 991s.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:26 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're in a position to comfortably afford a 6-figure car, you should enjoy it. Make friends with the local dealer as you will likely need to deal with them again.

Ignore who saved how much on what as they aren't you buying what you want now. Availability is going down. You may not have another opportunity to buy what you want new. Nothing wrong with used, and financially smarter...but new is magical and here's your chance.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:02 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdub2235
You're right on all the points. I came here and asked the question for obvious reasons. I'm not sure why you're so harsh. Maybe because you got 0% off? This is my first time negotiating a deal this big and I wanted some advice, others were helpful but I guess you're taking the school of hard knocks approach. Lesson learned.
It's all good. I was harsh. Sorry. I will always help you when I can in the future. Welcome aboard.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 AM
PatrickC23
Racer

I got 5% off, was happy with that given my location (NNJ) by Manhattan. If I didnt take this allocation, someone else would have Im sure as I had just missed out on the last allocation in Manhattan because I was unsure if I wanted a 991.1 or 991.2.

Question is how confident are you that you will find another GTS available with your spec? If you are, I guess you can tell them you want to back out, maybe they'll re-negotiate, maybe not. Personally, once I put a deposit down, I'm good for it since I view it as a contract on my part unless something extraordinary occurred. Then again, your situation is a bit different in that you did not order the car to spec like I always do, but my guess is they wont have trouble moving it.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:35 AM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
It's all good. I was harsh. Sorry. I will always help you when I can in the future. Welcome aboard.
I've been on Renn for about 2 months and I've quickly learned that you don't back out of a deal with Lex and you do not double post with STG, both of which I can respect.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:05 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My GTS locked in February. I got 6.5% off MSRP but wanted 7%. Discovered a few weeks later that I failed to order the brushed aluminum interior. My dealer ordered the interior and installed the parts after the car arrived and did not charge me for my oversight. I more than made up the 0.5% I missed. Try negotiating for some after delivery add ons.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:12 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Some on here hate pricing posts. See my first posted here. Advice Needed - 2016 991 GTS Cab. Bottom line is this. If you want a better deal you can get it. I would recommend pulling your deposit and working with the actual dealer that has the car. Your dealer has zero leverage to even get the car. What if someone else puts a deposit at that dealer??? You are screwed. Wait till the end of the month and fly to the dealer and let them know you are in town on business spend a few days there so they know your serious. Work your magic and say it would take a steep discount to purchase now. Tell them 15% on the last day of the month and wok from there you will certainly get a better deal than 4-5%. .

Quick Reply: 4.5% off MSRP for a 16 911 GTS a "good" deal?