Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.5% off MSRP for a 16 911 GTS a "good" deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 10:19 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 283 Posts

Just because you can afford a 100K car doesn't mean saving another thousand here or there is pointless. I work my *** off to make a good living to purchase such cars & appreciate a good deal....but that's just me.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:29 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 284 Posts

Wow, some pretty rough opinions on here. You are the customer, and you always have options!

Mine opinion is you're close depending on the "rareness" of the spec. White PDK car ? There's a dozen out there. Carmine Red? Some great discounts online.

I've found a MSRP-4% deal on a hard to find spec and that would be acceptable to me having looked around a lot.

I'd find a reason you're not thrilled with the car and get cold feet in the dealership. They'll want to close the deal that day to avoid any sitting on the lot or other risks, negotiate for front end protection or tell them another dealer you've been talking with has called with a similar car at 5.5% off and you're not happy.

I have been in sales, and have managed sales teams - the deal is never closed until it's closed. Play the game, know what you want to be happy, and ask for it.

Last edited by Chris C.; 11-26-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:34 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

IMHO, leaving $3K on the table is a lot of money. I would go to the dealer and say that you want to cancel your order and want your deposit back because you can get a similar car for 7% off MSRP. If the dealer wants you to buy the car, they will ultimately give you a better price. If not, go elsewhere. There are many Porsche dealers with many GTS in or inbound. This is not a GT3, GT4 or RS.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:39 PM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdub2235
Why not? How are you so sure? Also, everyone else has provided something constructive why the attitude?
Get money back and buy a 991 GT3. They are that good. Can find one super low miles someone is trading back in after less than a year of ownership due to them getting a GT3 RS allocation. I own one. Night and day vs GTS.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Cdub2235
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexVan
Here's 3 things I know about you:

1) you've never been in sales

2) you've never managed a sales organization at any level

3) you've never owned your own company.

So what are you going to tell your sales contact at the dealership? "I want a bigger discount because all the guys on Rennlist did better"? They'll laugh you out of the building.
You're right on all the points. I came here and asked the question for obvious reasons. I'm not sure why you're so harsh. Maybe because you got 0% off? This is my first time negotiating a deal this big and I wanted some advice, others were helpful but I guess you're taking the school of hard knocks approach. Lesson learned.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:52 PM
Cdub2235
Intermediate

Thanks you guys, I appreciate all the opinions and thoughts.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:56 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Instead of going for some more discount you could ask for some other items tossed in for free. For example, after the dealer and I agreed on our discount amount I came back and asked if they would throw in a clear bra treatment for free. I told them that I plan to keep it forever but if I do decide to get rid of it I'll probably use you to sell it on consignment or take it in trade. I got the clear bra free.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
IMHO, leaving $3K on the table is a lot of money. I would go to the dealer and say that you want to cancel your order and want your deposit back because you can get a similar car for 7% off MSRP. If the dealer wants you to buy the car, they will ultimately give you a better price. If not, go elsewhere. There are many Porsche dealers with many GTS in or inbound. This is not a GT3, GT4 or RS.
Don't know if that's true. From previous threads on here it seems there are very few GTS' out there or inbound. To lose a car that's spec'd almost exactly like he wants over a couple 'potential' points off makes no sense to me.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:03 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdub2235
You're right on all the points. I came here and asked the question for obvious reasons. I'm not sure why you're so harsh. Maybe because you got 0% off? This is my first time negotiating a deal this big and I wanted some advice, others were helpful but I guess you're taking the school of hard knocks approach. Lesson learned.
You should have asked here BEFORE putting a deposit down and doing the deal. I get where LexVan is coming from. BTW, Lex does better than 0%. You should know better. Not a good way to make a grand entrance to the boards here.

Pass on this GTS, and you may not find another one close to it. They're not making anymore. Your choice and gamble.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Just to be clear, he's in California and the deposit means absolutely nothing here. Fully refundable and the dealer can even reneg on the discount they offered if they want. All a deposit represents here is a good faith offer to negotiate.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:16 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Not to mention, where is this dealer? They might not be ones that discount more. Find a car you want across the country, and it's going to cost $2K to ship it. Find a dealer who has a car close to your spec, they might give you less than 4.5%.

If I was you, if you really want this car go for it. If your second thoughts are that bad, maybe it's more than the possible extra 1-2% discount you think you lost out on.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:21 PM
991 GT3
Racer

That's a solid price vs availability w/out shipping car etc. ask for Porsche gear i.e. Car cover, shirts, jackets etc. or negotiate clear bra. These are the last of the NA GTS cars. If your regretful then you might be in over your head. If it's not about the money , meaning this is purchase that is affordable to you then don't complicate at last minute and lose car. Just ask for them to work with you. They want to sell it, trust me. Enjoy in good health.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

OP, based on my own experience shopping the dealers here earlier this year, 4.5 percent off is very good for a GTS around here. Two of the dealers I talked to wouldn't discount a GTS at all, as they were selling every one at MSRP.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:42 PM
Cdub2235
Intermediate

Originally Posted by STG991
You should have asked here BEFORE putting a deposit down and doing the deal. I get where LexVan is coming from. BTW, Lex does better than 0%. You should know better. Not a good way to make a grand entrance to the boards here.

Pass on this GTS, and you may not find another one close to it. They're not making anymore. Your choice and gamble.
How should I know better this is my first day posting here. The only interaction I've had with him/her hasn't gave me a good impression at all. I've lurked here for a while and I just wanted some advice and folks to chat with about my thoughts.

Thanks for your opinion. I agree mostly.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:43 PM
Cdub2235
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Archimedes
OP, based on my own experience shopping the dealers here earlier this year, 4.5 percent off is very good for a GTS around here. Two of the dealers I talked to wouldn't discount a GTS at all, as they were selling every one at MSRP.
Thanks for posting this.

Quick Reply: 4.5% off MSRP for a 16 911 GTS a "good" deal?