Sponsored by:

Alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 02:30 AM
slave2miles
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment question

So I had a bit of an odd experience today when I picked up my 911 from the dealer. I purchased the car on Tuesday after having a extensive PPI done on monday. I left it at the dealer so they could install a new steering wheel and add some tint. I picked it up today and on the way home at around 60+ the car pulled lightly to the right. Over 85 the pull was pretty dramatic. I took it back to the dealer and let them know what was going on. The service manager took a ride with me and agreed that there was indeed an alignment issue. He had one of the techs take it in the back to align the car. They provided the sheet below showing the new alignment. On the way home it still pulls pretty good to the right when over 75 (not as bad as before but still pretty bad). Any thoughts on what else I should check? Tire pressure is 34 on both fronts and 36 on both rears so I dont think it could be anything related to that. The car has only 5800 miles on it. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to tell me it's all in my head

Thanks!

Old 11-22-2015, 07:57 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a MY10 ptt before that pull to the left (RHD car) which I described as really bad. Alignment has been done but turns out was due to bad front left tires. Changed all 4 and all good.

I'm no experts on alignment,
From your sheet, everything looks pretty normal eventhough there are tiny bit of front caster differences and negative trust angle in which suggest a potential pulls to the right (due to front right has less positif camber and thrust angle is negatif = to the left which will pulls the car to the right).

Rarely, but I've seen one, the alignment machine itself is not "align". Put the car back on the machine and the reading must be the same. Not exact same number, but the same differences as before.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:44 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

If the car was out of alignment before it *may* have put a wear pattern into the tires that can only be remedied by a new set of tires. Ideally if you can swap wheels out with another owner for a short distance then you can tell instantly if its tires. If you bought it from a dealers (looks like you did) they could do this with another used 991 on the lot if they wanted to accommodate you. Make sure you are driving on roads without a severe crown on the blacktop as well. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Porsches do not pull to the left/right unless something is out of whack. I suspect it will be tires.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:33 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

swap your left and right tire / wheels and see if the pulling direction reverses , to rule out a damaged tire carcass from prev owner bashing a deep pothole or glancing a traffic island at speed
Old 11-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I had a bad alignment once, had it fixed, still pulled bad though everything was in spec. Took it to highly regarded alignment guy. First thing he told me was to swap tires side to side. He was right. The bad alignment had worn the tires unevenly. New tires and it tracked dead straight.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:33 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
swap your left and right tire / wheels and see if the pulling direction reverses , to rule out a damaged tire carcass from prev owner bashing a deep pothole or glancing a traffic island at speed
This!
Old 11-22-2015, 05:33 PM
slave2miles
Advanced

I'm swapping the tires today to test.

Thanks everyone and I'll post back on what I find.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:45 AM
slave2miles
Advanced

Issue fixed! Swapping the two fronts solved the problem.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-26-2015, 11:11 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by slave2miles
Issue fixed! Swapping the two fronts solved the problem. Thanks everyone!
That's not fixed. Just isolates the issue. Now time to dig deeper.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:41 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Yes - agree with Lex, that shows you need new tires at the very least.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:54 PM
slave2miles
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexVan
That's not fixed. Just isolates the issue. Now time to dig deeper.
Originally Posted by drcollie
Yes - agree with Lex, that shows you need new tires at the very least.
After driving 700 miles over the last few days I have had 0 pulling, however I would agree with you guys on the tires. (not to mention the P Zeros need to go reagardless)

Thanks everyone for the help!

Quick Reply: Alignment question