Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of Tire Pressure ... Is This Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 10:32 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
Air is over 3/4 nitrogen. But pure nitrogen would do two things, the pressure would not deviate much under temperature changes, and the gas escapement would be minimized as the molecular rubber network wouldn't allow bigger nitrogen molecules to leave the tire (oxygen is smaller and about 16-18% of air).
So I read this and thought, what is he talking about, how could nitrogen, with a slightly smaller mass than oxygen be a bigger molecule than oxygen (N2 v. O2, that is)? If anyone else is curious here's a "relatively" simple explanation - note though that it is from "getnitrogen.org" so give it whatever credence you think appropriate.

http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf

Oh, and in regard to the original tire pressure question. While unlikely, a bad TPMS sensor could also be at fault. Easy to check though with a good tire gauge.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:59 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
So I read this and thought, what is he talking about, how could nitrogen, with a slightly smaller mass than oxygen be a bigger molecule than oxygen (N2 v. O2, that is)? If anyone else is curious here's a "relatively" simple explanation - note though that it is from "getnitrogen.org" so give it whatever credence you think appropriate.

http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf

Oh, and in regard to the original tire pressure question. While unlikely, a bad TPMS sensor could also be at fault. Easy to check though with a good tire gauge.
The reasons are complicated but can be distilled down to a few basic ideas. Not getting into the quantum mechanics of atoms - let's take as fact that atoms are overwhelmingly pure space >99%. As the atomic number (number of protons, and mass) increases the "pull" on the electrons increases disproportionately, causing the volume to contract and therefore become smaller. The above is only true for a set of progressively added protons. So take this explanation to be true only for N2 and O2.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:13 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds temperature related, especially as all four tires seem to be losing pressure proportionally.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:00 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

The primary reason Nitrogen is used by races teams is that it doesn't have moisture in it. Air from your garage compressor has a lot of moisture in it. It's the moisture content that changes the pressure/temperature dynamics far away from pv=nrt (or whatever.)

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=191
Old 11-23-2015, 10:08 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by worf928
The primary reason Nitrogen is used by races teams is that it doesn't have moisture in it. Air from your garage compressor has a lot of moisture in it. It's the moisture content that changes the pressure/temperature dynamics far away from pv=nrt (or whatever.)

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=191
Good article, thanks! I have a good tire gauge and opt for that route (:
Old 11-24-2015, 12:12 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

This may be wholly true but I like the elegance of quantum mechanics of O2 and N2 atoms (if not the comparative bizzare nature of quantum anything) as an explanation better.

The reasons are complicated but can be distilled down to a few basic ideas. Not getting into the quantum mechanics of atoms - let's take as fact that atoms are overwhelmingly pure space >99%. As the atomic number (number of protons, and mass) increases the "pull" on the electrons increases disproportionately, causing the volume to contract and therefore become smaller. The above is only true for a set of progressively added protons. So take this explanation to be true only for N2 and O2.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:13 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
This may be wholly true but I like the elegance of quantum mechanics of O2 and N2 atoms (if not the comparative bizzare nature of quantum anything) as an explanation better.
While not quantum mechanics (but more physical chemistry) the ideal gas law PV = nRT, can be divided by nRT on both sides giving PV/nRT=1. An ideal gas would behave in such a way to always have the above ratio equal to 1. The pics below show the deviations for some gases.

Nitrogen is pretty close to 1 under all conceivable pressures. And yes, water deviates very badly. But I'll sell a bridge in Brooklyn to anyone who thinks they can get anhydrous nitrogen in their tires without the equipment that F1 uses.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:40 AM
Bethtamm
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not problem of car

This is a problem related to temperature.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:02 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

The primary reason Nitrogen is used by races teams is that it doesn't have moisture in it. Air from your garage compressor has a lot of moisture in it. It's the moisture content that changes the pressure/temperature dynamics far away from pv=nrt (or whatever.) I'll just leave this here... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=191
This. Low moisture content. Not that crappy moisture laden air from the local gas station.

The other primary reason is that N is a non flammable gas.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:03 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

But I'll sell a bridge in Brooklyn to anyone who thinks they can get anhydrous nitrogen in their tires without the equipment that F1 uses.
Interesting. 'splain please. A lot of organizations have a nitrogen tank, a regulator and an inline dryer and expect dry nitrogen out of it. I'm not buying your bridge but I might like a view from a distance...
Old 11-24-2015, 11:06 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Interesting. 'splain please. A lot of organizations have a nitrogen tank, a regulator and an inline dryer and expect dry nitrogen out of it. I'm not buying your bridge but I might like a view from a distance...
Sure, I'll try.

All tanks have regulators, no open valves at those pressures are practical.

Inline driers are pretty much useless for a couple reasons. The desiccant they use (CaCl2 typically) is not as efficient as others but good enough IF the gas is passed over it more than once. The tanks that AirGas or BOC deliver are very wet. Same for other companies. Furthermore, the dessicants get inoperable quickly, being fully capacitated. Most consumer "organizations" probably are not concerned with changing them.

Nitrogen generators are better, but not much better (nevermind if nitrogen is being generated in humid environments).

You want dry N2? Pass it through a desiccant a few times at cold temperatures.

Hope this 'splains it. Let me know if you want the bridge.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:26 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I only use certified German air in my tires, and rotate it quarterly. Rotational mass is much lower and acceleration times and gas mileage greatly improved. The German air fully complies with the Ideal Gas Law and other stringent environment regulations, and is fully ISO certified.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 11-24-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:48 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the Michelins hold their N2 better than the P Zeros do.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:50 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

The tanks that AirGas or BOC deliver are very wet. Same for other companies.
This follow-up is not purely academic. I'm interested in getting an N2 cylinder for various automotive purposes (except putting N2 in my tires except, perhaps, for long-term storage.)

What do you consider very wet? I'm looking at Praxair's spec sheet:

http://www.praxair.com/~/media/praxa...4631.pdf?la=en

what's 'wet'? 5 ppm? 1 ppm?
Old 11-25-2015, 12:19 AM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes....cold weather equals lower tire pressure.

Quick Reply: Loss of Tire Pressure ... Is This Normal?