Sponsored by:

New 2016 911 GTS Coupe - Initial Impressions & Full Write Up

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 04:57 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New 2016 911 GTS Coupe - Initial Impressions & Full Write Up

Disclaimer: you might want to go pour a nice cold IPA or glass of Zinfandel. This is the longest thing I've written since college (Go Trojans).

Gents,
Finally getting around to posting a few pics and sharing a few thoughts about my new GTS/build. It arrived two weeks ago and it's all "done" in terms of the mods I intended for it. I've logged about 450 miles so far, almost all in the twisties in Marin, Highway 1 and Skyline/La Honda here in Norcal. I find I drive the car in normal mode in the city of SF where I live, PSE on, and auto start/stop off. In the twisties, I like Sports Mode, PDK in manual, and if smooth, SPASM On.
I've been keeping the revs below 4500 for the most part, with an occasional 6500 blast, but haven't gone near red line yet, so I haven't felt the full pull through a few gears. Given how low in the rev range I've been driving I'm blown away at the potential of this car and have never wanted for power on public roads. The power comes on strong, linearly, and builds really nicely until it feels pretty brutal at about 4500+. That's when the interior "howl" kicks in, and the sound is absolutely well beyond my expectations. I love the sound of the PSE. Don't buy an NA 911 without PSE! I notice i like to crack my windows to hear the back-gurgle on downshifts, and tunnels.. the tunnels.
The handling is flat and the Sports Plus seats keep any sense of drama to a minimum. The G-meter said I've hit .90 lateral Gs, and I'd never know it because it's just such a planted and secure feeling ride. I find I'm still trying to learn how to keep weight over the front when cornering, or just how to corner optimally at all because the rear engine feeling is new to me. I think there is a definite learning curve with this platform, and things like braking, trail braking, turn-in and throttle have a huge impact. Seat time will prove valuable. Yesterday I felt what i think was the vectoring technology, or the ASR or the ABD, as I was heavy on the gas I felt a bit of a "lungey" feeling. Traction control, rear-brake vectoring, I'm not sure which acronym I felt yet, but I felt the car keeping things tightly reigned in while in Sports Mode.
I'll post the build and then add a few notes as I go through the build in hopes this aids others when they build their own.

2016 911 GTS Coupe
GT Silver
Black Leather W Alcantara
GTS Package in Carmine
Sports Plus Seats 4 Way
Seat Heating
PDK
Sport Design Package
Sport PASM
Auto Dimming Mirrors
Model Designation 911
Sport Design Wheel in Leather
Smoking Package
Passenger Luggage Net in Footwell
Delete Sunroof
Bose Audio Package
Instrument dial in Carmine Red
Roof Transport System

GT Silver Metallic - I'm conservative and boring. I liked the darker "richness" of the GT vs. the slightly brassier blue look of Rhodium. Both beautiful, but GT for me given the dark accents of the GTS.

Black Leather Interior w Alcantra GTS Package in Carmine - WOW, such a rich and luxurious feeling interior. The red deviated stitching is beautiful and the fit and finish of everything is spectacular. The consistency and glossy finish of the carbon fiber weave on the trim pieces is beyond expectations. I wanted red seat belts, but the red trim edge on the GTS seatbelts covered that desire and really helps make the interior "pop" relative to a regular black interior. The combination of leather, red center gauge, alcantara, red stitching and carbon fiber is very special. The "GTS" embroidery on the headrests is awesome and you can see it from the exterior, which gives the car a very sporty look. Overall, great textures, contrasts and a sense of quality.

Seat Heating - Works well, level one is plenty so far, level three is too warm. Gets warm very quickly.

PDK - This was a big question mark for me because I love manual transmissions. I've always had manual cars, I raced Superbike and GP motorcycles in the NorCal series, and banging shifts at speed and having a clutch to control the machine is so involving and satisfying, I was really worried the PDK would suck or suffer from delays like a conventional auto. It doesn't. At all. I am blown away to the upside by the control I get over the transmission in Sports/manual mode. INSTANT shifts up and down, and you can keep the motor right in the range you want it. Heavy on the brakes and clicking down three not only sounds awesome, the precision and speed is light years beyond what I could do in a manual. When in Auto mode, in San Francisco traffic, I don't miss having to hold in the clutch at all. This technology is amazing.

SportDesign Package - The ducktail. I love the ducktail. I love it. Since I was a kid I've loved the 73RS even before I knew what it was, and given the chance to get a 911 with a factory ducktail on the last NA was a no brainer. Porsche has never offered a turbo car with a ducktail do to cooling needs, so who knows if it will ever be available again given the move to turbo motors in 991.2. To me, it really sets my 911 apart, and it's crazy how many thumbs up and comments I've gotten just in the past 14 days. It's cool when you come out of restaurant and people are standing around looking at the car or taking pics, which happened yesterday at Alice's.

PASM Sport Suspension - I need to play with this more, but initial thoughts are positive. Normal mode is very comfortable. Taught, but not harsh at all. Things get pretty stiff when you press the SPASM button however, so smoother roads are where I'll use this most often.

Auto Dimming Mirrors - No feedback, but I haven't been blinded yet

Model Designation 911 - I did this to get the P O R S C H E in the right place on the back panel (not centered as with model delete), and to ease the letter removal and swap from "911" to "GTS". To me, the whole "911 Carerra GTS" is a bit long and busy.

Sport Design Steering Wheel in Leather - didn't want oily, clammy alcantara after a few years of use, so went leather.
Smoking Package - got me a 12V and cover for that hole that's there otherwise
Luggage Net Passenger Footwell - just waned the storage

Delete Sunroof - I tried to build a car that was minimal on electronics to help with long-term reliability, and to keep weight down. Overall I wanted a balance between a daily driver and an "enthusiasts" car. Also, I NEVER used my sunroof in my Cayenne.

Bose Audio - Actually pleasantly surprised after reading many posts. I put a decent amount of research and money into my home theater, so I was wasn't expecting much from the Bose and thought the Burmester tweeters would be one of my first mods. I listed to streaming Pandora, and I think it sounds pretty decent. Bass like +2, Treble one back from max, and fader -1 to the rear. So far so good, and I always find myself turning it down to hear the motor. At 3000 miles antipated per year, I couldn't justify the Burmy, but have not doubts it's great, which is why I deliberately didn't listen to it.

Sports Plus Seats 4 Way - Another tough decision. I wanted an "electrically simple" car with less electronics to go wrong because I intend to keep for many years+ as a last of the NA. Since the Sports Plus are the same (non motorized, less optioned) 18 ways, I knew that was a good, comfortable seat. I also liked that I saved I think something like 30-40lbs over 18 ways.

I debated parking sensors and backup camera, but couldn't live with those round things on the bumper. I prefer smooth lines and less technology. I did NOT get a Memory Package - I couldn't get this with manual Sports Plus seats and shot myself in the foot a bit. The seats are awesome and I'm the only driver, so memory is not an issue, BUT it turns out I don't get the passenger side mirror tilt-down without the memory package. I didn't realized this . So far, not a big deal it turns out because the hips are so wide, you can use the vertical line of the fender bulge as a good gauge as to how close you are to the curb.

My car came in just under 140K, and I negotiated 7% off MSRP which was an amazing deal. I had some bumps in my ordering process around my allocation and wait, but Porsche Burlingame (Rector) really came through, treated me exceptionally well, and even tossed in 2 years maintenance and my badge swap from 911 to GTS for free as consolation for the long wait. Very nice. Great organization those blokes..

I had the full front bumper, full hood, full fenders, rocker panels, rear wheel areas front and back, and both doors wrapped in Xpel Ultimate two days after delivery to avoid rock chips. I had the windows tinted in Suntek 35/45 I believe for a subtle, almost factory look, an the taillights lightly tinted to keep that dark mean look. Very pleased with my installers here in the Bay Area -hit me up if you want their info. I swapped to clear LED sidemarkers and put a winter rubber floormat on the drivers side. The last mod done last Monday was the Rennline radiator grills in black. A bit of a GT3 look, but more about protection. With under 100 non-tailgating miles, I already had a few bent radiator fins and a bunch of leaves and bugs had collected. Highly recommend Rennline!

The only other mods I might consider over time are Burmester tweeters and an AWE Switchpath exhaust. Waiting to hear the Switchpath in the flesh.

Here are a few pics after I two-bucket washed, detailed and sealed it yesterday with Adam's Polishes. Incredible detailing products from Adams! I think peeps are familiar with the Carmine GTS interior, so I'll spare you the excessive glamour shots.

Just washed. Tint and Clear wrap turned out perfectly. Clear sidemarkers

Rear taillight tint and badge swap to GTS.

Rennline Radiator Grills. Look factory and very functional.

Tint, badge swap and taillight tint.

I love the burly, machined look of the CLs. To me, they are part of what makes a GTS, and were worth the potential PITA. They really highlight and contrast with those beautiful calipers.

Delivery day. Pre mods.

Last edited by fastdiablo; 11-15-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tinting the rear tail lights - I like it and shall consider doing likewise.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Great car BTW.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:36 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Congratulations. The car looks great! Thanks for taking the time to write up your thoughts / impressions. Also good to hear that you were happy with Rector in the end.

I'm with you about the PSE and the duck tail. I'm loving the GTS interior package too.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:00 PM
mantylar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations! Your GTS looks fantastic! After reading your post today I ordered the Rennline Mesh Grill Kit for my incoming GT Silver GTS Cab. I appreciate your insight.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:22 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Awesome ride! Would love to hear more about SPASM in Normal mode- would you consider it "firm" or harsh? Said differently would a significant other be comfortable in it on normal?
Old 11-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Dolce911
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fastdiablo.

Congrats on a beautiful car! I have a similar GT silver GTS coming soon and am interested in where you had your X-pel work done. I live just south of SF.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:43 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Awesome ride! Would love to hear more about SPASM in Normal mode- would you consider it "firm" or harsh? Said differently would a significant other be comfortable in it on normal?
To my butt, normal mode w SPASM is VERY comfortable and civilized -no problem for spouse/passenger even on bumpy roads. Not at all bone jarring, and tire pressure settings to "Comfortable" per manual specs feels great (there is quite a range). The TPMS is also awesom -tells you pressure and how much up or down you need to adjust to achieve recommended firm or comfortable settings.

"Congratulations! Your GTS looks fantastic! After reading your post today I ordered the Rennline Mesh Grill Kit for my incoming GT Silver GTS Cab. I appreciate your insight."

Thank you, they are nice. You'll need your dealer or a body shop to do the install because the bumper has to come off, and it's about 300-400 for the installation, so not too bad. Well worth it.

STG also has them and likes them. His car is very similar in terms of mods, so I was able to look at his car to confirm the mods I wanted including the grills and tinting the rear lights. Lots of great ideas in this forum, and likely someone has already done your next mod, so they're the guinea pig!
Old 11-15-2015, 07:47 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dolce911
Fastdiablo.

Congrats on a beautiful car! I have a similar GT silver GTS coming soon and am interested in where you had your X-pel work done. I live just south of SF.
Invisiguard in Belmont off Ralston. Very reasonable and excellent work -I'm blown away by the precision around the bumper. The only downside is I think he's switching to Suntek films and away from Xpel. Give Jeremy a buzz -he's on yelp. He used to be the installer for Sonnen Porsche if I recall his background correctly.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:58 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
STG also has them and likes them. His car is very similar in terms of mods, so I was able to look at his car to confirm the mods I wanted including the grills and tinting the rear lights. Lots of great ideas in this forum, and likely someone has already done your next mod, so they're the guinea pig!
Congrats on the GTS! Looks quite perfect! Just my style The Rennline grills have been a big hit here on RL. Nice write up too.

The duck is classic! Might be the last of them for now along with the NA!
Old 11-15-2015, 08:11 PM
mantylar
Track Day

"Thank you, they are nice. You'll need your dealer or a body shop to do the install because the bumper has to come off, and it's about 300-400 for the installation, so not too bad. Well worth it."

"STG also has them and likes them. His car is very similar in terms of mods, so I was able to look at his car to confirm the mods I wanted including the grills and tinting the rear lights. Lots of great ideas in this forum, and likely someone has already done your next mod, so they're the guinea pig!"

Thanks for the heads up! Tim Coats of Adonis Detail in Carlsbad is going to install my Xpel wrap and Modesta coating. I'm pretty sure he can install the grills. I check with him tomorrow. This forum has cost me a lot of money! LOL! It's all good!
Old 11-15-2015, 08:13 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Congrats. You have a really well thought out build that will look great for years to come.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:19 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mantylar
This forum has cost me a lot of money! LOL! It's all good!
Oh yes!!! They inspiration is plentiful here. I'm a victim as well $$!!
Old 11-15-2015, 09:13 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Disclaimer: you might want to go pour a nice cold IPA or glass of Zinfandel. This is the longest thing I've written since college (Go Trojans).

Gents,
Finally getting around to posting a few pics and sharing a few thoughts about my new GTS/build. It arrived two weeks ago and it's all "done" in terms of the mods I intended for it. I've logged about 450 miles so far, almost all in the twisties in Marin, Highway 1 and Skyline/La Honda here in Norcal. I find I drive the car in normal mode in the city of SF where I live, PSE on, and auto start/stop off. In the twisties, I like Sports Mode, PDK in manual, and if smooth, SPASM On.
I've been keeping the revs below 4500 for the most part, with an occasional 6500 blast, but haven't gone near red line yet, so I haven't felt the full pull through a few gears. Given how low in the rev range I've been driving I'm blown away at the potential of this car and have never wanted for power on public roads. The power comes on strong, linearly, and builds really nicely until it feels pretty brutal at about 4500+. That's when the interior "howl" kicks in, and the sound is absolutely well beyond my expectations. I love the sound of the PSE. Don't buy an NA 911 without PSE! I notice i like to crack my windows to hear the back-gurgle on downshifts, and tunnels.. the tunnels.
The handling is flat and the Sports Plus seats keep any sense of drama to a minimum. The G-meter said I've hit .90 lateral Gs, and I'd never know it because it's just such a planted and secure feeling ride. I find I'm still trying to learn how to keep weight over the front when cornering, or just how to corner optimally at all because the rear engine feeling is new to me. I think there is a definite learning curve with this platform, and things like braking, trail braking, turn-in and throttle have a huge impact. Seat time will prove valuable. Yesterday I felt what i think was the vectoring technology, or the ASR or the ABD, as I was heavy on the gas I felt a bit of a "lungey" feeling. Traction control, rear-brake vectoring, I'm not sure which acronym I felt yet, but I felt the car keeping things tightly reigned in while in Sports Mode.
I'll post the build and then add a few notes as I go through the build in hopes this aids others when they build their own.

2016 911 GTS Coupe
GT Silver
Black Leather W Alcantara
GTS Package in Carmine
Sports Plus Seats 4 Way
Seat Heating
PDK
Sport Design Package
Sport PASM
Auto Dimming Mirrors
Model Designation 911
Sport Design Wheel in Leather
Smoking Package
Passenger Luggage Net in Footwell
Delete Sunroof
Bose Audio Package
Instrument dial in Carmine Red
Roof Transport System

GT Silver Metallic - I'm conservative and boring. I liked the darker "richness" of the GT vs. the slightly brassier blue look of Rhodium. Both beautiful, but GT for me given the dark accents of the GTS.

Black Leather Interior w Alcantra GTS Package in Carmine - WOW, such a rich and luxurious feeling interior. The red deviated stitching is beautiful and the fit and finish of everything is spectacular. The consistency and glossy finish of the carbon fiber weave on the trim pieces is beyond expectations. I wanted red seat belts, but the red trim edge on the GTS seatbelts covered that desire and really helps make the interior "pop" relative to a regular black interior. The combination of leather, red center gauge, alcantara, red stitching and carbon fiber is very special. The "GTS" embroidery on the headrests is awesome and you can see it from the exterior, which gives the car a very sporty look. Overall, great textures, contrasts and a sense of quality.

Seat Heating - Works well, level one is plenty so far, level three is too warm. Gets warm very quickly.

PDK - This was a big question mark for me because I love manual transmissions. I've always had manual cars, I raced Superbike and GP motorcycles in the NorCal series, and banging shifts at speed and having a clutch to control the machine is so involving and satisfying, I was really worried the PDK would suck or suffer from delays like a conventional auto. It doesn't. At all. I am blown away to the upside by the control I get over the transmission in Sports/manual mode. INSTANT shifts up and down, and you can keep the motor right in the range you want it. Heavy on the brakes and clicking down three not only sounds awesome, the precision and speed is light years beyond what I could do in a manual. When in Auto mode, in San Francisco traffic, I don't miss having to hold in the clutch at all. This technology is amazing.

SportDesign Package - The ducktail. I love the ducktail. I love it. Since I was a kid I've loved the 73RS even before I knew what it was, and given the chance to get a 911 with a factory ducktail on the last NA was a no brainer. Porsche has never offered a turbo car with a ducktail do to cooling needs, so who knows if it will ever be available again given the move to turbo motors in 991.2. To me, it really sets my 911 apart, and it's crazy how many thumbs up and comments I've gotten just in the past 14 days. It's cool when you come out of restaurant and people are standing around looking at the car or taking pics, which happened yesterday at Alice's.

PASM Sport Suspension - I need to play with this more, but initial thoughts are positive. Normal mode is very comfortable. Taught, but not harsh at all. Things get pretty stiff when you press the SPASM button however, so smoother roads are where I'll use this most often.

Auto Dimming Mirrors - No feedback, but I haven't been blinded yet

Model Designation 911 - I did this to get the P O R S C H E in the right place on the back panel (not centered as with model delete), and to ease the letter removal and swap from "911" to "GTS". To me, the whole "911 Carerra GTS" is a bit long and busy.

Sport Design Steering Wheel in Leather - didn't want oily, clammy alcantara after a few years of use, so went leather.
Smoking Package - got me a 12V and cover for that hole that's there otherwise
Luggage Net Passenger Footwell - just waned the storage

Delete Sunroof - I tried to build a car that was minimal on electronics to help with long-term reliability, and to keep weight down. Overall I wanted a balance between a daily driver and an "enthusiasts" car. Also, I NEVER used my sunroof in my Cayenne.

Bose Audio - Actually pleasantly surprised after reading many posts. I put a decent amount of research and money into my home theater, so I was wasn't expecting much from the Bose and thought the Burmester tweeters would be one of my first mods. I listed to streaming Pandora, and I think it sounds pretty decent. Bass like +2, Treble one back from max, and fader -1 to the rear. So far so good, and I always find myself turning it down to hear the motor. At 3000 miles antipated per year, I couldn't justify the Burmy, but have not doubts it's great, which is why I deliberately didn't listen to it.

Sports Plus Seats 4 Way - Another tough decision. I wanted an "electrically simple" car with less electronics to go wrong because I intend to keep for many years+ as a last of the NA. Since the Sports Plus are the same (non motorized, less optioned) 18 ways, I knew that was a good, comfortable seat. I also liked that I saved I think something like 30-40lbs over 18 ways.

I debated parking sensors and backup camera, but couldn't live with those round things on the bumper. I prefer smooth lines and less technology. I did NOT get a Memory Package - I couldn't get this with manual Sports Plus seats and shot myself in the foot a bit. The seats are awesome and I'm the only driver, so memory is not an issue, BUT it turns out I don't get the passenger side mirror tilt-down without the memory package. I didn't realized this . So far, not a big deal it turns out because the hips are so wide, you can use the vertical line of the fender bulge as a good gauge as to how close you are to the curb.

My car came in just under 140K, and I negotiated 7% off MSRP which was an amazing deal. I had some bumps in my ordering process around my allocation and wait, but Porsche Burlingame (Rector) really came through, treated me exceptionally well, and even tossed in 2 years maintenance and my badge swap from 911 to GTS for free as consolation for the long wait. Very nice. Great organization those blokes..

I had the full front bumper, full hood, full fenders, rocker panels, rear wheel areas front and back, and both doors wrapped in Xpel Ultimate two days after delivery to avoid rock chips. I had the windows tinted in Suntek 35/45 I believe for a subtle, almost factory look, an the taillights lightly tinted to keep that dark mean look. Very pleased with my installers here in the Bay Area -hit me up if you want their info. I swapped to clear LED sidemarkers and put a winter rubber floormat on the drivers side. The last mod done last Monday was the Rennline radiator grills in black. A bit of a GT3 look, but more about protection. With under 100 non-tailgating miles, I already had a few bent radiator fins and a bunch of leaves and bugs had collected. Highly recommend Rennline!

The only other mods I might consider over time are Burmester tweeters and an AWE Switchpath exhaust. Waiting to hear the Switchpath in the flesh.

Here are a few pics after I two-bucket washed, detailed and sealed it yesterday with Adam's Polishes. Incredible detailing products from Adams! I think peeps are familiar with the Carmine GTS interior, so I'll spare you the excessive glamour shots.

Just washed. Tint and Clear wrap turned out perfectly. Clear sidemarkers

Rear taillight tint and badge swap to GTS.

Rennline Radiator Grills. Look factory and very functional.

Tint, badge swap and taillight tint.

I love the burly, machined look of the CLs. To me, they are part of what makes a GTS, and were worth the potential PITA. They really highlight and contrast with those beautiful calipers.

Delivery day. Pre mods.
I thought the rear engine louvres on the GTS were black ? Sports Design Pkg-- nevermind--

Last edited by mgflyfish; 11-15-2015 at 09:35 PM. Reason: OOPs! Sports Design PKG --
Old 11-15-2015, 09:13 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Beautiful car and a great review- very helpful.
I did not know you can tint the tail-lights- for sure I will look into this for my incoming Targa GTS.
If I end up buying instead of leasing, I will also do the front mesh kit and prob the Xpel or similar wrap.
Enjoy the car and drive it in good health.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:24 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

My God - Sorry I didnt read your post yet, I saw GT Silver and skipped to the pics, then noticed a duck tail and was mesmerized.

Quick Reply: New 2016 911 GTS Coupe - Initial Impressions & Full Write Up