Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plane vs car for fun. I opted for the car.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 04:24 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plane vs car for fun. I opted for the car.

I got a wild hair before I got into the fun cars and thought I wanted to be a pilot. I wanted to soar the sky and listen to some good music with a scarf around my neck lol.

Than after a few lessons and seeing the risks and the costs I went the sports car route. I guess a near miss with a bird and engine problems at 3500 feet is a little more scary than swerving one foot to avoid a person texting.

Than the costs. My gosh! After looking over airframe logs, prop logs, and engine logs. Cha ching, Cha ching. To spendy for my blood. All the power to those who can.

I wonder how man others have had a wild idea, good or bad, when they were midlife or older. Yes I am bored today so that's why the somewhat silly post lol I am sure glad Porsche doesn't build planes too
Old 10-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I also get in trouble when I have too much time to think......

Started trapshooting 8 years ago from scratch. Last 3 day tournament - 900 targets, with food,hotel, gas, shells, entry fees etc etc cost worked out to be $1.50 every time I pulled the trigger.

$10K- $15K shotguns are common.

911's not shooter friendly. Most club parking lots have Beirut like craters.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:57 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

^^Your shoulder doesn't hurt after all those rounds. I get shoulder fatigue after 3 rounds and I shoot a semi auto.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:59 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
I got a wild hair before I got into the fun cars and thought I wanted to be a pilot. I wanted to soar the sky and listen to some good music with a scarf around my neck lol.

Than after a few lessons and seeing the risks and the costs I went the sports car route. I guess a near miss with a bird and engine problems at 3500 feet is a little more scary than swerving one foot to avoid a person texting.

Than the costs. My gosh! After looking over airframe logs, prop logs, and engine logs. Cha ching, Cha ching. To spendy for my blood. All the power to those who can.

I wonder how man others have had a wild idea, good or bad, when they were midlife or older. Yes I am bored today so that's why the somewhat silly post lol I am sure glad Porsche doesn't build planes too
Live life to its fullest. It's only money..
Old 10-08-2015, 06:41 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought about flying lessons when I was in my 20s. Got a trial flight at a local airport. As we took off I kept thinking, where is the ground, I can't see it! That was the end of flying for me other than United Airlines. As far as shotguns go, yes they cost $$ but I really like my K-80 with a carrier barrel. You should try skeet. Different gauges, 12, 20 ,28 and 410 bore and most importantly, sheet shooters are friendly, trap shooters are obsessive. As I recall the chapter on how to shoot trap is much thinner than the chapters on how to bet at trap.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:49 PM
WCE
User

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

When I looked into one of those new "light sport" airplanes, the costs were basically equivalent to two 911's, one to buy the plane and the other to cover the monthly hangar, maintenance, insurance and other costs. Then you have the training considerations, and about that pricey hangar - there may be a 1+ year waiting list to get one, if it's offered to you at all since many private airports operate like private clubs. Now you're in the air with your life depending on that little rotax engine because, at least where I live, emergency landing zones are few and far between so you're ditching into woods, buildings or on roads with traffic and poles with wires - good luck finding a smooth vacant field.
I also did a few exploratory flights, and I will add a good pilot needs excellent vision and depth perception as well as immunity to motion sickness and altitude affects. I gave up my dream (and bought a Porsche) but I do admire those who make it work out!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:01 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hothonda
I also get in trouble when I have too much time to think......

Started trapshooting 8 years ago from scratch. Last 3 day tournament - 900 targets, with food,hotel, gas, shells, entry fees etc etc cost worked out to be $1.50 every time I pulled the trigger.

$10K- $15K shotguns are common.

911's not shooter friendly. Most club parking lots have Beirut like craters.

Love it! Lol, exactly what you said. Too much time on the hands leads to many hobbies lol I shoot too and them shotguns are well worth it if you love the sport. I don't shoot clays, mostly paper target stuff.

Last edited by stratocaster69; 10-08-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:06 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WCE
When I looked into one of those new "light sport" airplanes, the costs were basically equivalent to two 911's, one to buy the plane and the other to cover the monthly hangar, maintenance, insurance and other costs. Then you have the training considerations, and about that pricey hangar - there may be a 1+ year waiting list to get one, if it's offered to you at all since many private airports operate like private clubs. Now you're in the air with your life depending on that little rotax engine because, at least where I live, emergency landing zones are few and far between so you're ditching into woods, buildings or on roads with traffic and poles with wires - good luck finding a smooth vacant field.
I also did a few exploratory flights, and I will add a good pilot needs excellent vision and depth perception as well as immunity to motion sickness and altitude affects. I gave up my dream (and bought a Porsche) but I do admire those who make it work out!
I almost pulled the trigger to on a SLSA. Was looking at different ones. And you are 100 percent right. The annuals, insurance, maintenance, hanger fees, training, operating fees, etc. And yes you have to be so on top of things. I was looking at them with a ballistic chute. Doesn't do much good if there isn't altitude though to open it. lol

The Rotax 912 seems to be a good motor but like you said. Looking for a good ER zone around here could get a person in trouble too. And yes, they move around a lot in the air. Than I had a inner ear issue giving me vertigo. Thats when I got smart lol I am happy with the car for sure!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:07 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Live life to its fullest. It's only money..
LOL And their ain't no U haul following a Hurst.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:12 PM
tekniik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure?

To be fair they did not make the plane, just the engine but you can get one. I did some flight training in my teenage years and I remember seeing a Mooney Porsche engine plane at the local airport I was at. I did not end up getting my license but I got as far a some solo cross country flights (aka going to another airport). Good times but way too expensive to do long term, at least for me.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:21 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tekniik
Are you sure?

To be fair they did not make the plane, just the engine but you can get one. I did some flight training in my teenage years and I remember seeing a Mooney Porsche engine plane at the local airport I was at. I did not end up getting my license but I got as far a some solo cross country flights (aka going to another airport). Good times but way too expensive to do long term, at least for me.
OMG< That is the best. Love that lol Thanks for posting it. Thats close enough for me that they made the engine. On the planes, thats they way I felt too. I could do it if I didn't live so high on the hog. Driving the fancy Porsche lol Just a bit too much cost wise for me but to those that can and love it. All the power to them.

I was looking at newer planes with lower hours and their maintenance records on a web site. And man a person can get nickel and dimed and it's not cheap. But when you are up there u want things perfect.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:40 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

LOL And their ain't no U haul following a Hurst.
True, but everybody dies.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:22 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Some sooner if they don't fly right lol.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:17 PM
jml911
Track Day

Guess I am a sucker, opted for both. Been flying for 5 years, hard to say which I like more...
Old 10-09-2015, 12:13 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jml911
Guess I am a sucker, opted for both. Been flying for 5 years, hard to say which I like more...
Very nice, what kinda of plane. Cirrus?

Quick Reply: Plane vs car for fun. I opted for the car.