Sponsored by:

New 911R (Manual GT3) Official?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:38 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
for those of us who already have a manual GT3/RS in collection, I don't see the attraction and importance of this model at all
Very true, Especially when the next generation gt3 most likely will be available with MT? Maybe they will put a back seat in it? At least my kids would be happy.

Why make it light weight with no wing or aero?
Old 10-07-2015, 08:20 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
600 copies, Pre sold and someone on this forum not knowing about it!? Lol #NOT
Y'up, ++ on that one!
Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Why make it light weight with no wing or aero?

Because that cool looking aero stuff creates drag - a LOT of drag, and kills speed. If you want to slow a fast car down on a long straight, stick a wing and flared fenders on it. Where the Aero stuff comes into play is with a track suspension (super firm), slicks or at least R-Compound tires, and then your corner speeds go way up. However on street tires and with a street suspension, the car will be faster without it and in a narrow body chassis.

To take this a step further, look at Ferrari. They build their aerodynamics into the underpan of the car and use splitters and diverters. They don't hang wings on their cars. Its faster that way.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:51 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by drcollie
Why make it light weight with no wing or aero? Because that cool looking aero stuff creates drag - a LOT of drag, and kills speed. If you want to slow a fast car down on a long straight, stick a wing and flared fenders on it. Where the Aero stuff comes into play is with a track suspension (super firm), slicks or at least R-Compound tires, and then your corner speeds go way up. However on street tires and with a street suspension, the car will be faster without it and in a narrow body chassis. To take this a step further, look at Ferrari. They build their aerodynamics into the underpan of the car and use splitters and diverters. They don't hang wings on their cars. Its faster that way.

Ok, thanks! That makes a lot of sense.
A lightweight MT with no aero for canyon runs. I still can't understand the targeted buyer. But, Porsche always deliver the goods.
We have to wait and see!
Old 10-08-2015, 09:40 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you could save a lot of money by ordering a 911 like the GTS and focusing on deleting as much weight as possible by skipping all the doo-dads and must-haves. If I recall correctly, the GTS makes 430hp and the GT3 around 450hp. The power to weight ratio gets pretty close when you strip a few hundred pounds out of the GTS. It won't have the cool factor of a 911R, but you could probably save huge money. An added bonus is that a GTS can be had with no aero right out of the box. Think about that. A GT3 costs more because of the added aero (among other things) and if this 911R is real they are then going to CHARGE money to remove it!

Of course you won't get the magnesium roof and rear wheel steering, but if what we're reading is true, this is intended to be a more livable version of a GT3, and I don't believe that those features will ever come into play for most owners. Porsche being who they are, the focus is on bilking their wealthier clientele who need to constantly have exclusivity. We can laugh all the way to the bank while they buy this 'rare' car.

My two cents.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
A lightweight MT with no aero for canyon runs. I still can't understand the targeted buyer. But, Porsche always deliver the goods.
We have to wait and see!
screw it - 996 GT3 RS uber alles!
Old 10-08-2015, 01:45 PM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like my dream 911. Too bad they are limiting the production to a # that will be swallowed up by collectors.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAcarbon
Sounds like my dream 911. Too bad they are limiting the production to a # that will be swallowed up by collectors.
+1 Porsche is excellent at always creating more demand than they have product, c.f: GT4
Old 10-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

We have to wait and see!
*raises hand*

Been waiting for them to build a car like this for a decade.

Hate spoilers. They look ridiculous rolling through streets of LA IMO, whether on a jacked up Civic or a GT3. If I lived in Germany where they would be useful, sure. But I have no need for all of that downforce here. Nor do I need to trim tenths shifting with PDK. I have no plans to enter any new Porsche in a competition event. Would rather save the weight and add involvement with a true manual.

GTS is a nice package, but the standard 9A1 is a bit pedestrian, and I want something more focused.

Indeed we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully this car will not be a victim of VW's cutbacks.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:02 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
screw it - 996 GT3 RS uber alles!
Yeh, I love wings and spoilers and carbon fiber. Downforce is more important than top speed for me. It's a good thing they make cars that suits all of our crazy needs.
I was asked if I was interested in a 911R but turned it down because lack of aero.
But, I have a few friends that would love this car if it was offered with a back seat.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
*raises hand*

Been waiting for them to build a car like this for a decade.

Hate spoilers. They look ridiculous rolling through streets of LA IMO, whether on a jacked up Civic or a GT3. If I lived in Germany where they would be useful, sure. But I have no need for all of that downforce here. Nor do I need to trim tenths shifting with PDK. I have no plans to enter any new Porsche in a competition event. Would rather save the weight and add involvement with a true manual.

GTS is a nice package, but the standard 9A1 is a bit pedestrian, and I want something more focused.

Indeed we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully this car will not be a victim of VW's cutbacks.
I'd be amazed if this car has anything other than a pedestrian 9A1+X51 in it; I suppose they *could* put a GT3 in it, but why?
Old 10-08-2015, 06:41 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'd be amazed if this car has anything other than a pedestrian 9A1+X51 in it; I suppose they *could* put a GT3 in it, but why?
+1. I'd have to agree. Otherwise, there would just be so much overlap price wise between a loaded 991.2S, 911R and GT3. I've said it before, but I'd want the whole GT3 (manual of course), not just pieces of it.
Crossing my fingers for some sort of official announcement that the .2GT3 manual is coming.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:07 PM
silvertige
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 118 Posts

We have to wait and see!
I'll take 2 por favor.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:03 AM
2fnquik
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

GTS is much closer to S than GT3.. GT cars are different breed, with Power to weight ratio being only a small part of the difference (991GT3 has 475hp not 450). Suspension, sway bars, brakes, and PDK-S all make for a more "special" and customizable driving experience, in addition to downforce provided by the much-maligned wing.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:33 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fnquik
GTS is much closer to S than GT3.. GT cars are different breed, with Power to weight ratio being only a small part of the difference (991GT3 has 475hp not 450). Suspension, sway bars, brakes, and PDK-S all make for a more "special" and customizable driving experience, in addition to downforce provided by the much-maligned wing.

could not agree more

997 or 991 gen - go drive an s, then a gts then a gt3 on a nice back road or track, somewhere where you can open up the car and take some curves

will be clear as night and day

Quick Reply: New 911R (Manual GT3) Official?