Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where is sport design ducktail package on the 991.2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 12:38 PM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default where is sport design ducktail package on the 991.2?

i'm configuring a 911S on the porsche site and i really want the sport dsign package "ducktail", but not see that option. will this be avail later?
Old 10-04-2015, 12:50 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

It's not available right now but as we get closer to December, new options should be popping up.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:16 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think it was available on the .1 until two years into production. Not sure how it will be accommodated on the turbo model given the intercoolers and the need to redesign the rear grill for cooling.. I don't recall ever seeing a duck on a turbo in any configuration, but I may be wrong. How cool would it be to see a variation on a 991.2 whale tail!?
Old 10-04-2015, 01:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
I don't think it was available on the .1 until two years into production. Not sure how it will be accommodated on the turbo model given the intercoolers and the need to redesign the rear grill for cooling.. I don't recall ever seeing a duck on a turbo in any configuration, but I may be wrong. How cool would it be to see a variation on a 991.2 whale tail!?
+1
Old 10-05-2015, 01:00 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
This isn't quite correct. Production started on the 991 in early 2012. My car was built January 2013 (one year later) and I had the Sport Design package ordered on October 1, 2012 (it was available for ordering late September, 2012).
Old 10-05-2015, 01:07 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by studlee
i'm configuring a 911S on the porsche site and i really want the sport dsign package "ducktail", but not see that option. will this be avail later?
As others said not available quite yet. You can oder it after the fact and have it put on, but than it costs more, needs to be painted, etc and isn't on the original
build sheet if that bugs you. Or wait till it's available.

Last edited by stratocaster69; 10-06-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by studlee
Hopefully your dealership sales team should have some insight into when additional options with become available for order...

BTW there is a chance that there wont be a 'ducktail' option at all, it may be
a different aero pkg, I say this because of the significant redesign of the decklid
that occurred in order to meet the needs of F.I engines, not only does the
.2 decklid feed the intake, but it also cools the engine compartment *and*
the intercooler system (hence the new decklid 'style') this might not be
achievable with a ducktail... just sayin'
Old 10-05-2015, 01:14 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Hopefully your dealership sales team should have some insight into when additional options with become available for order...

BTW there is a chance that there wont be a 'ducktail' option at all, it may be
a different aero pkg, I say this because of the significant redesign of the decklid
that occurred in order to meet the needs of F.I engines, not only does the
.2 decklid feed the intake, but it also cools the engine compartment *and*
the intercooler system (hence the new decklid 'style') this might not be
achievable with a ducktail... just sayin'
Man, now thats a thought. That would suck if that is the case. But it makes total sense.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:38 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Aero packages were NOT available on the 991.1 2012.5 launch cars.

They did become available in the 2013 model year at some point.

As stated, who knows what the new ones will consist of even if there are any. The new bumper design looks more sporty as is, and with the active air blades makes things more complicated.

As far as a duck, I think the duck as we know it could be history for quite a while. There may be some sort of rear spoiler I assume, but who knows what the design may be.... I'd look to the current "Real Turbo" model for ideas. That one at least has the side fender air intakes.

Last edited by STG; 10-05-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
Aero packages were NOT available on the 991.1 2012.5 launch cars.

They did become available in the 2013 model year at some point.

As stated, who knows what the new ones will consist of even if there are any. The new bumper design looks more sporty as is, and with the active air blades makes things more complicated.

As far as a duck, I think the duck as we know it could be history for quite a while. There may be some sort of rear spoiler I assume, but who knows what the design may be....
I'd look to the current "Real Turbo" model for ideas. That one at least has the side fender air intakes.
That was my thinking wrt the future of the duck, now that the rear decklid intake is supplying air for intercoolers (in addition to engine intake and compartment cooling) designing a duck that works with that might be a
challenge, but then I dont play an automotive aerodynamics designer on TV!

I'd expect there to be some form of aerokit (which will also require a new front facia) but not sure it will be a duck...

best order Brett@Sonnen's last GTS coupe with one!
Old 10-05-2015, 01:50 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This actually factored into my ordering a 991.1 significantly, I had to have either the Sport Design or Cup Kit. When I saw it wasnt available at the onset of the 991.2, decided not to wait since I wanted a new car by spring.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:51 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
That was my thinking wrt the future of the duck, now that the rear decklid intake is supplying air for intercoolers (in addition to engine intake and compartment cooling) designing a duck that works with that might be a
challenge, but then I dont play an automotive aerodynamics designer on TV!

I'd expect there to be some form of aerokit (which will also require a new front facia) but not sure it will be a duck...

best order Brett@Sonnen's last GTS coupe with one!
Larry, than does it even have a factory active rear spoiler at all that pops up on the new new cars? I am assuming not with the cooling aspects you are talking about. Thanks

Last edited by stratocaster69; 10-06-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
Larry, than does it even have a factory active rear spoiler at all that pops up on the new new cars. I am assuming not with he cooling aspects you are talking about. Thanks
no they still have the same spoiler arrangement as the .1's ...

I'm really only speculating wildly here ... I honestly dont know a damn thing what I'm talking about ... having said that I would not count on there being a duck ... but there will be "something"
Old 10-05-2015, 03:19 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

the 991.2 will show up as " early " US model year 2017s in March 2016 and will have a longer 16-17 month shelf life before the US " 2018s" arrive late summer 2017 for typical 12 month cycle . As is typical for " early first year " 911 models in the US over the past 2-3 decades, expect the option list to continually expand , even " mid year " during the first two model years ...its always been that way, and no reason to expect any supplier differences this time around
Old 10-05-2015, 03:22 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
the 991.2 will show up as " early " US model year 2017s in March 2016 and will have a longer 16-17 month shelf life before the US " 2018s" arrive late summer 2017 for typical 12 month cycle . As is typical for " early first year " 911 models in the US over the past 2-3 decades, expect the option list to continually expand , even " mid year " during the first two model years ...its always been that way, and no reason to expect any supplier differences this time around
Makes sense. Can anyone guesstimate when the white instrument dials will be available?

Quick Reply: where is sport design ducktail package on the 991.2?