From 997 GTS to 991 GTS - first week's impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From 997 GTS to 991 GTS - first week's impressions

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would share my experience of one week (or little bit more) of ownership of my 991 GTS. First of all, I thought when I bought my 997 GTS that I would end up keeping her a lot longer than I did, the 997 feels smaller much more raw and well suited for my needs. I had taken her to the track and I thought she had the perfect balance of power, suspension and overall steering feedback. I loved and still love the 997 but when I had a chance to move into a 991 I couldn't pass it up. Obviously I have not had a chance to drive the 991 on the track yet and I'm OCD so I've clear bra'd her and I'm taking it easy (break in) for the next 1200 miles. With that said, I'm really enjoying her, although the car feels bigger it is tight and nimble. I love the exhaust note especially when it hits 2800+ RPMs as it begins to roar, wow very awesome sound. The car feels really well suited for daily driving without jaw jarring effects like the 997 I have PASM Sport Plus which I feel it's a no brainer option especially for only $890! I initially really wanted alcantara interior and seats (as mine came as an alcantara delete) but now I'm really enjoying the leather seats with the AC vents in the seats especially since it's been ridiculously hot in California. The pros are the interior of the 991 is updated and looks much better than the 997. With that said there's a ridicious amount of buttons on the center console something like 41! The cons that I've noticed so far is the Nav system, it's slow and doesn't have voice command but maybe that's a good thing (as most voice command system sucks)! Ha but seriously the Navi needs to be updated and better integrated.

I have the 7 speed manual which I find is crisp but the throw seems a bit long and I'm not sure if Porsche SSK is available? I've also bought the Rennline radiator grills that will be installed shortly like on my 997.

Overall I'm very happy with the 991 GTS thus far
and I'm looking forward to seeing how she does on the track.

Cheers!

Last edited by Wannabeproracer; 10-03-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:41 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You will love it! But beware of gremlins! My PCM spontaneously converted to metric last week. The dealer's tech has no idea what is going on.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:44 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats! SSK is available at suncoast, check link below...

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1SSU.html
Old 10-03-2015, 07:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by Wannabeproracer
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would share my experience of one week (or little bit more) of ownership of my 991 GTS. First of all, I thought when I bought my 997 GTS that I would end up keeping her a lot longer than I did, the 997 feels smaller much more raw and well suited for my needs. I had taken her to the track and I thought she had the perfect balance of power, suspension and overall steering feedback. I loved and still love the 997 but when I had a chance to move into a 991 I couldn't pass it up. Obviously I have not had a chance to drive the 991 on the track yet and I'm OCD so I've clear bra'd her and I'm taking it easy (break in) for the next 1200 miles. With that said, I'm really enjoying her, although the car feels bigger it is tight and nimble. I love the exhaust note especially when it hits 2800+ RPMs as it begins to roar, wow very awesome sound. The car feels really well suited for daily driving without jaw jarring effects like the 997 I have PASM Sport Plus which I feel it's a no brainer option especially for only $890! I initially really wanted alcantara interior and seats (as mine came as an alcantara delete) but now I'm really enjoying the leather seats with the AC vents in the seats especially since it's been ridiculously hot in California. The pros are the interior of the 991 is updated and looks much better than the 997. With that said there's a ridicious amount of buttons on the center console something like 41! The cons that I've noticed so far is the Nav system, it's slow and doesn't have voice command but maybe that's a good thing (as most voice command system sucks)! Ha but seriously the Navi needs to be updated and better integrated.

I have the 7 speed manual which I find is crisp but the throw seems a bit long and I'm not sure if Porsche SSK is available? I've also bought the Rennline radiator grills that will be installed shortly like on my 997.

Overall I'm very happy with the 991 GTS thus far
and I'm looking forward to seeing how she does on the track.

Cheers!
I believe Suncoast have such a kit: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1SSU.html

they claim somewhat mysteriously that its a factory part but not approved
Old 10-03-2015, 07:41 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience. I really enjoyed driving my GTS, but it's been over 9 months since I last drive my 997. I remember it as the best car I'd ever owned or driven. I seriously loved that car. But the 991 GTS is better in every way. I can't wait to be reunited with mine! My BMW 435 m sport with a 6MT, which used to seem so great, no longer seems so great. Good and nice for a rad trip, but a completely different car and experience to the 991.1 GTS.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:47 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Ummmm. We just cannot believe a post like this without seeing pictures of the new car!
Jim
Old 10-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Please elaborate more on the suspension differences between soft and firm settings in your 997 vs 991 GTS.

I've thought for a while about trading my 997.2 C2S for a 997.2 GTS, but I've heard the 997 GTS suspension is a bit jarring even in the softer setting?

Comments? I too would be driving this in SoCal.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Maybe with SPASM. Normal suspension is not jarring at all.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:17 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Jaw Jarring" I think, is more applicable to a GT3 than a GTS. Over the last few years, Porsche has "softened up" the suspension (ride) on GT3s and probably also on the new GTSs. The GTS should be a little more firm that the standard 911 because it is a multi use vehicle; good for the road and also good (fun) for the track. If one is concerned about a "comfort" ride, just stick with a regular Porsche.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:50 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

What I read in reviews of the 997 GTS is that the soft setting isn't very soft, or not much different from stiff setting.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:58 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Please elaborate more on the suspension differences between soft and firm settings in your 997 vs 991 GTS.

I've thought for a while about trading my 997.2 C2S for a 997.2 GTS, but I've heard the 997 GTS suspension is a bit jarring even in the softer setting?

Comments? I too would be driving this in SoCal.

Originally Posted by Drifting
What I read in reviews of the 997 GTS is that the soft setting isn't very soft, or not much different from stiff setting.

I've had a 997.2 C2S without SPASM, and a GTS, with SPASM. For a while, I had both at the same time. IMHO, in terms of ride stiffness, the default setting for my GTS is maybe akin to halfway between the non-SPASM C2S's default ("comfort") setting and Sport. Sport in the GTS is definitely a bit stiffer than Sport was in my C2S. Then again, I'm not sure it would be any stiffer than a C2S with SPASM in Sport mode. The point is, a GTS with SPASM is a stiff ride, to be sure, but it feels just right. Exactly how a well sorted 911 for the street should feel.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your comments,

To answer the questions regarding the differences between the 997 suspension vs. the 991, please allow me clarify, both of my cars had SPASM, in the 997 I felt everything from the road (without the SPASM on) from the slightest elevation changes to the unevenness in the pavement, this is NOT a dig towards the 997 its just as I stated more raw. The 991 feels more refined and without SPASM on, it absorbs the aforementioned scenarios a lot better and not as "jarring". Maybe now I'm a bit older (45) so I'm enjoying the less "jarring" but still planted feel of the 991, however with the SPASM on, its feels more suited for the track and a lot tighter (for obvious reasons and it's purpose). The 991 seems better suited in my humble opinion for daily driving the the occasional track days. The 997 for me seems more suited for spirited driving, you really can't go wrong with either (997/991) but as I stated, I'm a bit older now so I don't feel the need to have as much of the "boy racer" feel when daily driving.

I'm trying to attached some pictures of my 997 and 991 but I suck at computers so please bear with me, my pictures are too large to upload and I'm using a Mac so I'm trying to resize but not too sure how to do that through "Photos"...
Old 10-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by Wannabeproracer
Thank you all for your comments,

To answer the questions regarding the differences between the 997 suspension vs. the 991, please allow me clarify, both of my cars had SPASM, in the 997 I felt everything from the road (without the SPASM on) from the slightest elevation changes to the unevenness in the pavement, this is NOT a dig towards the 997 its just as I stated more raw. The 991 feels more refined and without SPASM on, it absorbs the aforementioned scenarios a lot better and not as "jarring". Maybe now I'm a bit older (45) so I'm enjoying the less "jarring" but still planted feel of the 991, however with the SPASM on, its feels more suited for the track and a lot tighter (for obvious reasons and it's purpose). The 991 seems better suited in my humble opinion for daily driving the the occasional track days. The 997 for me seems more suited for spirited driving, you really can't go wrong with either (997/991) but as I stated, I'm a bit older now so I don't feel the need to have as much of the "boy racer" feel when daily driving.

I'm trying to attached some pictures of my 997 and 991 but I suck at computers so please bear with me, my pictures are too large to upload and I'm using a Mac so I'm trying to resize but not too sure how to do that through "Photos"...
just to be clear, PASM has two modes, "normal" and "sport", but there is
also the "PASM Sport" option, which lowers the car an additional 10mm
from (regualar) PASM and also I believe has stiffer spring rates (and of
course this system also has the same two modes)

Quick Reply: From 997 GTS to 991 GTS - first week's impressions