Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US Spec 991s in Europe Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Mosbrn78108
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything he mentioned is spot on. I have my 2012 US spec Carrera here.

I did change the marker lights to clear and have a wrapped emergency kit (triangle, vest and first aid) in the Front trunk.

Winters I run Pirelli Sottozeros 19" with no problems.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:56 PM
ulvedahl
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread and cool photos!

I'm just wondering about the FM radio. How did you get it to change intervals from .1 -.3 -5 etc.. to the Euro stations ending -.0 -.2 - .4 etc.?
Old 10-10-2015, 07:06 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

So the TUV doesn't check on emissions, interesting. That might change after the VW scandal.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:11 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ulvedahl
Great thread and cool photos!

I'm just wondering about the FM radio. How did you get it to change intervals from .1 -.3 -5 etc.. to the Euro stations ending -.0 -.2 - .4 etc.?
I'm not a big radio guy...but will check. I plug in my iPhone and listen to RUSH and others...We were big Sirius Satellite radio fans but haven't had it for the last 5.5 years due to 18 month sin Europe and 3 years in Hawaii previously. Fair trade-off, but I miss it.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:19 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David A
So the TUV doesn't check on emissions, interesting. That might change after the VW scandal.
Weirdest thing...after all the environmental craziness in the world, I thought for sure they put a wand up the exhaust. Nope, they issue the green sticker for your windshield based on the age of your car and when cats were installed. The green sticker allows you to drive into city centers another places around Europe. Signs are posted on the highway when you are entering an "Environmental Zone."

Here is the sticker and a link to the restrictions in Germany.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2015, 01:55 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
I'm not a big radio guy...but will check. I plug in my iPhone and listen to RUSH and others...We were big Sirius Satellite radio fans but haven't had it for the last 5.5 years due to 18 month sin Europe and 3 years in Hawaii previously. Fair trade-off, but I miss it.
Looks like I can't tune even decimal stations...perhaps the owners manual has an answer.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:39 PM
ulvedahl
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still no solution on the radio-issue, guys??

991, C2S, MANUAL, Aerokit
Old 02-01-2016, 02:40 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

none that I have found...
Old 02-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

2. Aha Radio. I can't get it to work. I have Aha on my iPhone with a Aha login active. When I connect my phone via USB cable to the glove box port, the Source menu only shows the AM, FM, CD, Sat, iPod, BT, and BT Aux, but no Aha listed as a source as the PCM manual says it should. Am I missing something? My only thought is that the Euro map load perhaps interfere with it though that seems a bit of a reach.
I realized that Aha only interacts with PCM if you have the Online Services option installed in your car.

Porsche advertised recently the opportunity to purchase Online Services in cars without it. I just got it flashed into the PCM at the dealer along with new maps. It works very, very well. Aha instantly connects as long as you have your smartphone plugged in to the USB in the glove box. You don't interact with Aha on your smartphone at all. It is completely integrated into PCM.

The main upgrades are:

Download of real time traffic via INRIX and traffic is displayed with red, yellow, green overlays just like on Google maps. Also, when you search for anything for POIs, it gives you the option to search the PCM database or Online Search. When you select Online Search, a "Powered by Google" appears and it is way easier, faster, and more accurate than I have found the PCM database to be. Also, once you select a POI, it gives you access to yelp reviews as well as a single button to navigate to as a primary destination, or as a stopover in your current route. Also offers a single button to call.

Easily the best money I've spent on my car.

Enjoy!
Old 02-24-2016, 04:31 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

I realized that Aha only interacts with PCM if you have the Online Services option installed in your car.

Porsche advertised recently the opportunity to purchase Online Services in cars without it. I just got it flashed into the PCM at the dealer along with new maps. It works very, very well. Aha instantly connects as long as you have your smartphone plugged in to the USB in the glove box. You don't interact with Aha on your smartphone at all. It is completely integrated into PCM.

The main upgrades are:

Download of real time traffic via INRIX and traffic is displayed with red, yellow, green overlays just like on Google maps. Also, when you search for anything for POIs, it gives you the option to search the PCM database or Online Search. When you select Online Search, a "Powered by Google" appears and it is way easier, faster, and more accurate than I have found the PCM database to be. Also, once you select a POI, it gives you access to yelp reviews as well as a single button to navigate to as a primary destination, or as a stopover in your current route. Also offers a single button to call.

Easily the best money I've spent on my car.

Enjoy!

Does AHA with real time traffic work in the US as well? I referenced this article:

https://motorsportsnewswire.wordpres...ation-0824152/

...and it appears to be only work in 14 European countries.

I really have not found any good uses for AHA but have not explored it well enough.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:40 PM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

Reviving an old thread from the dead... I noticed 991 rear bumpers are different between US and EU spec. I have a US Spec 991 coming next week and need to do my (US-System registration) inspection and I have no front bumper license plate mount. I was between getting a tow hook mount or having the local Porsche dealer drill holes into the front bumper for the euro license plate, but the rear would be a US-style license plate.

Also, the temp tags they gave me are complete trash and there's no place for me to mount them on the car. Really concerned I'll get stopped for having the front plate in the windshield until I get the front mount.

What do you guys think? Drilled holes or nah? I know most will say not to do it, but I've been considering selling my 991 in the Euro market after I'm done here and maybe I should just go ahead and knock that out. I don't know how I feel about having two different size plates, however.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfDenShoebox
Reviving an old thread from the dead... I noticed 991 rear bumpers are different between US and EU spec. I have a US Spec 991 coming next week and need to do my (US-System registration) inspection and I have no front bumper license plate mount. I was between getting a tow hook mount or having the local Porsche dealer drill holes into the front bumper for the euro license plate, but the rear would be a US-style license plate.

Also, the temp tags they gave me are complete trash and there's no place for me to mount them on the car. Really concerned I'll get stopped for having the front plate in the windshield until I get the front mount.

What do you guys think? Drilled holes or nah? I know most will say not to do it, but I've been considering selling my 991 in the Euro market after I'm done here and maybe I should just go ahead and knock that out. I don't know how I feel about having two different size plates, however.
as I recall at one point in time PAG used to velcro the front temp plates to US cars doing Euro Delivery (after people complained about them drilling them)
Old 04-22-2021, 06:06 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Has anyone imported a US spec car to Germany or a Benelux country (non-military). Were any changes required? I'm assuming perhaps headlights - but anything else?

Last edited by Thinc2; 04-22-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Has anyone imported a US spec car to Germany or a Benelux country (non-military). Were any changes required? I'm assuming perhaps headlights - but anything else?
it super murky - I tried this back in the early 00's with a 996.2 GT3 into the UK, I believe then you needed a type conformance certificate : https://www.vdocs.eu/faq/certficate-...definition-coc

in addition to the lighting changes (rear fog lamps, amber turn signals etc) ... if you plan to do this, find a company that deals in this ...
Old 04-22-2021, 08:00 PM
SwedeInNY
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Just completed import of a 991.2 to Sweden. PM me if of interest, happy to help any way I can. At a very minimum I think you will need to switch your tail lights to the Euro amber style.

Quick Reply: US Spec 991s in Europe Questions and Experiences