Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reserve your 991 DSC module

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 01:42 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

My D.SC. shipped today--along with a set of anti roll bars. I won't have my car out before March or April so I won't have anything to report until then.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:10 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
If a car does not have PASM will this module install and grant that effect?
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you wish!

Sorry no, PASM is basically an intelligent and dynamic suspension mechanism, that is based upon dynamically adjustable shocks/dampers that are controlled
by the PASM (or DSC) module.

In short, your car would need the shocks (as well) in order to work.. and I
dont think they can be retrofitted retroactively!
Non-PASM cars CAN be retrofitted with DSC! Any Porsche 2000 and up already has all the CAN data running through it. We offer a complete Stand Alone Kit with a wiring harness that allows the car to be retrofitted. Of course, you would need to upgrade to electronic dampers. We are compatible with any of the Bilstein Damptronic variants, as well as Tractive DDA.

We actually have the DSC/DDA setup on a few 996s.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:37 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Are there any drawbacks to the DSC module? Is there a reason Porsche decided not to tune the active suspension to react as quick as with the DSC module?
Old 12-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Non-PASM cars CAN be retrofitted with DSC! Any Porsche 2000 and up already has all the CAN data running through it. We offer a complete Stand Alone Kit with a wiring harness that allows the car to be retrofitted. Of course, you would need to upgrade to electronic dampers. We are compatible with any of the Bilstein Damptronic variants, as well as Tractive DDA.

We actually have the DSC/DDA setup on a few 996s.
COOL!
Old 12-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hsmith
Are there any drawbacks to the DSC module? Is there a reason Porsche decided not to tune the active suspension to react as quick as with the DSC module?
price/complexity?
Old 12-09-2015, 12:45 AM
NeoGeo07
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a brief video from DSC sports discussing their V2. Got it from Jordan @ DSC. Hope it's alright that I'm linking it here. Let me know if there's any problems. THx.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:56 AM
Zekiel
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice, thanks. Saves me having to figure out where the controller lives.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:57 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you wish!

Sorry no, PASM is basically an intelligent and dynamic suspension mechanism, that is based upon dynamically adjustable shocks/dampers that are controlled
by the PASM (or DSC) module.

In short, your car would need the shocks (as well) in order to work.. and I t
dont think they can be retrofitted retroactively!
When Autocar reviewed the 991 back when it first came out they preferred and recommended the car without any factory suspension modifications. They felt it offered a more honest driving experience. I wondered if the DSC version would have somehow allowed for correction of their original bias against the factory PASM?
Old 12-09-2015, 04:41 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NeoGeo07
Here's a brief video from DSC sports discussing their V2. Got it from Jordan @ DSC. Hope it's alright that I'm linking it here. Let me know if there's any problems. THx.

DSC V2 Install Instructions on 991 - YouTube
Thank you for sharing! General rule of thumb, if it's on the Youtube channel or anywhere public, we encourage you to share it!

We've received astoundingly positive feedback from our users over the last year, and we always value what you have to say. So much of the DSC marketing and audience reach has been made possible via word-of-mouth from our customers, and we want to maintain that throughout our growth as a brand.

-Jordan
Old 12-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zekiel
Very nice, thanks. Saves me having to figure out where the controller lives.
Note that the location on Cabriolets (and maybe targas) is different...
Old 12-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

When Autocar reviewed the 991 back when it first came out they preferred and recommended the car without any factory suspension modifications. They felt it offered a more honest driving experience. I wondered if the DSC version would have somehow allowed for correction of their original bias against the factory PASM?
Totally; of course if you want to customize the DSC's active programming you
have to spend the time to learn the capabilities of the system, its programming
via the software, and probably more importantly be able to interpret the
handling of the car and translate that into changes in the DSC's responses.

Sounds from what Tom@TPC says it is feasible to retrofit the DSC and importantly the PASM (or Damptronic) shocks to a car to obtain this functionality for around $5k or so I'd guess (DSC+damptronics)
Old 12-10-2015, 02:50 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Totally; of course if you want to customize the DSC's active programming you
have to spend the time to learn the capabilities of the system, its programming
via the software, and probably more importantly be able to interpret the
handling of the car and translate that into changes in the DSC's responses.

Sounds from what Tom@TPC says it is feasible to retrofit the DSC and importantly the PASM (or Damptronic) shocks to a car to obtain this functionality for around $5k or so I'd guess (DSC+damptronics)

Thanks for this insight.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks for this insight.
BTW that does not mean to say that simply retrofitting the PASM shocks (OEM or damptronics) and plugging in the DSC w/TPC's programming will not
provide a better experience than factory ... so dont assume that you must
program the unit to benefit, in reality I think only dedicated track usage will
result in customization...
Old 12-13-2015, 05:24 PM
NeoGeo07
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DSC Review

Installed the DSC (very simple, 15 minute swap) and went for a few drives over the weekend. Impression is that it's a very nice evolution of the OE system. THere's a wider, more perceivable gap between normal and sport mode. But nothing dramatic. Overall compliance has improved, and it feels the car has more mechanical grip.

The most interesting thing is how the suspension reacts when the car is pushed. More stable, better damping with less sense of weight transfer. I agree this is most helpful on the track, but even for some spirited fast drives there's a positive difference. Much more responsive damping, which is the whole point of the DSC.

Adding the DSC is certainly not the same as swapping out the stock suspension for a set of double adjustable Ohlins with custom spring rates. But it definitely optimizes the stock system and is a worthy addition for people who still split their time in the car between street and track.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NeoGeo07
Installed the DSC (very simple, 15 minute swap) and went for a few drives over the weekend. Impression is that it's a very nice evolution of the OE system. THere's a wider, more perceivable gap between normal and sport mode. But nothing dramatic. Overall compliance has improved, and it feels the car has more mechanical grip.

The most interesting thing is how the suspension reacts when the car is pushed. More stable, better damping with less sense of weight transfer. I agree this is most helpful on the track, but even for some spirited fast drives there's a positive difference. Much more responsive damping, which is the whole point of the DSC.

Adding the DSC is certainly not the same as swapping out the stock suspension for a set of double adjustable Ohlins with custom spring rates. But it definitely optimizes the stock system and is a worthy addition for people who still split their time in the car between street and track.
And it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a set of ohlins too

Quick Reply: Reserve your 991 DSC module