Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DSC Sport: thank you for the clarification, now I understand what was meant
Old 02-26-2016, 05:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
How is it? What do you notice on the GTS? Do you have SPASM and/or PDCC?
Sport mode is much more usable than OEM normal is more compliant
Old 02-26-2016, 08:14 PM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
How is it? What do you notice on the GTS? Do you have SPASM and/or PDCC?
Ok, my error--you can fold the rear seats down (Doh!)...

Having said that, i ended up removing them for the install... you could possibly install the module without rear seat removal, but I think that would be pretty difficult, since I would have had a lot of trouble trying to pull up the edge of the carpeting...

In terms of differences felt, I can't comment on that--I have not driven it enough in any sporting manner to give an honest assesment...
Old 03-07-2016, 09:28 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

These aren't the best photos or instructions, but our NZ dealer Jeff Delio was able to confirm the other day that you do not need to remove the seats to install the DSC on a model with rear seats.

"The carpet doesn't go under the trim, just need to pull it straight up in the middle. The GT3 tutorial video would still apply, same thing just with seats."

Old 03-08-2016, 11:34 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

Hello DSC Sport - thank you for the followup. So I am sure I understand - the pics are not conclusive - the carpet separates just above the folder seat backs and velcros back down normally?

EDIT: OK, finally got a little time to play in the back seat of my 991 DSC installed! Will have to wait for a better day to test it out though.

- The carpet very cleverly pulls up from the seam above the rear seat back top piece when seats are folded. Per the pics, which aren't the best, you can lift up and separate the top layer from the lower carpet - it's a thick rubber foam piece.
- You need to lift it out pretty high on the driver's side - you need room to work at the Bitch of a Clip (BOC) - see more below.
- Passenger's side does need to clear the rear seat latch post - fold it gently and twist it around on both sides
- Once you have access you can follow DSC's helpful video. Be warned though: The right side/larger BOC does not release/slide off easily as shown. It took me 10 mins of careful prying (don't bend pins or break the plastic) with a screw driver to coach the clip to slide longitudinally so the overall fitting can slide out diagonally

Caveats:
- You'll need a good drop light/LED head light
- You can deform the rubber mat if you leave it twisted too long. As you're replacing it be sure and re-shape it as you push it up/out into the seated position working around the trim pieces.
- If you have full leather like I do be careful not to scratch the leather surfaces with the edge of the carpet - unlikely you can do any real damage but you can see minor scrapes as it's a tight fit.

Will post a review when I can drive it!!

Happy modding!

Last edited by Chris C.; 03-10-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Hello DSC Sport - thank you for the followup. So I am sure I understand - the pics are not conclusive - the carpet separates just above the folder seat backs and velcros back down normally?

EDIT: OK, finally got a little time to play in the back seat of my 991 DSC installed! Will have to wait for a better day to test it out though.

- The carpet very cleverly pulls up from the seam above the rear seat back top piece when seats are folded. Per the pics, which aren't the best, you can lift up and separate the top layer from the lower carpet - it's a thick rubber foam piece.
- You need to lift it out pretty high on the driver's side - you need room to work at the Bitch of a Clip (BOC) - see more below.
- Passenger's side does need to clear the rear seat latch post - fold it gently and twist it around on both sides
- Once you have access you can follow DSC's helpful video. Be warned though: The right side/larger BOC does not release/slide off easily as shown. It took me 10 mins of careful prying (don't bend pins or break the plastic) with a screw driver to coach the clip to slide longitudinally so the overall fitting can slide out diagonally

Caveats:
- You'll need a good drop light/LED head light
- You can deform the rubber mat if you leave it twisted too long. As you're replacing it be sure and re-shape it as you push it up/out into the seated position working around the trim pieces.
- If you have full leather like I do be careful not to scratch the leather surfaces with the edge of the carpet - unlikely you can do any real damage but you can see minor scrapes as it's a tight fit.

Happy modding!
+1 you really have to "massage" it, by trying to pull it out at the same time as pushing the (diagonal) locking clip sideways ... BE CAREFUL.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:43 PM
wbrownie
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Just ordered A module for my C2S Cab. Can't wait to check it out.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wbrownie
Just ordered A module for my C2S Cab. Can't wait to check it out.
you going to do a DIY install? - if so follow the SmartTop install instructions to access the location of the OEM PASM controller ...
Old 04-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.

Happy modding!
Hey Chris C - maybe I missed it, but did you post a review??
Old 04-21-2016, 05:08 PM
wbrownie
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you going to do a DIY install? - if so follow the SmartTop install instructions to access the location of the OEM PASM controller ...
Hey Larry - Yes I plan to DIY. I found your post on the install and since I did the smart top a while back I figured I would go for it.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Hey Larry - Yes I plan to DIY. I found your post on the install and since I did the smart top a while back I figured I would go for it.
brilliant! - its about as easy as doing the SM, the PASM controller is directly under the location of the SmartTop, you simply fold back the carpet/foam
and it will expose the controller (silver), the leftmost (as you look down) and
smaller connector comes away easily, but the larger (rightmost) is a *bugger*
to disconnect, you have to use both hands, one to pull the locking cam/clip
to the right, and the other to pull the connector away from the controller, its
a tight fit ...

I would recommend before you do that, replace the trim "deck" back onto
the car, as you will have to lean over to access the controller, and you dont
want to accidentally damage any of the components therein while you
wrestle with the controller.

also, you might want to buy a USB cable with a right angled mini USB cable
and leave that plugged into the DSC (you can hide the cable under the
carpet and still get access to it once you put everything back together) so
that you can update the maps should you wish to w/o dismantling the
car again...

any questions, you know where to find me!
Old 04-21-2016, 05:28 PM
wbrownie
Racer

Thanks Larry!
Old 04-28-2016, 10:13 PM
wbrownie
Racer

Ok I got the DSC installed in the Cab. Install was straight forward given the Smartop instructions. As Larry pointed out the larger connector was a pain but I eventually got it to break free.

Today I was able to get the car out on some back roads and get a feel for it. All I can say is Amazing. Car is much more planted now. Especially in right left transitions. The damping is much improved even in a straight line such that undulations in the pavement are much smoother. I especially noticed this on the interstate on the way back. Where before the car would float a bit it now feels much firmer but not harsh. I had toyed with new springs but now that would only be necessary for cosmetics.

Money very well spent. Now I need to resist the urge to buy this for my 997 GT3. I have a feeling the improvement would be even greater than the 991 as the 997 PASM sucks. The firm setting is unusable in my opinion.

Thanks for the tips Larry!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Ok I got the DSC installed in the Cab. Install was straight forward given the Smartop instructions. As Larry pointed out the larger connector was a pain but I eventually got it to break free.

Today I was able to get the car out on some back roads and get a feel for it. All I can say is Amazing. Car is much more planted now. Especially in right left transitions. The damping is much improved even in a straight line such that undulations in the pavement are much smoother. I especially noticed this on the interstate on the way back. Where before the car would float a bit it now feels much firmer but not harsh. I had toyed with new springs but now that would only be necessary for cosmetics.

Money very well spent. Now I need to resist the urge to buy this for my 997 GT3. I have a feeling the improvement would be even greater than the 991 as the 997 PASM sucks. The firm setting is unusable in my opinion.

Thanks for the tips Larry!
stop resisting now, its pointless, as you suspect the DSC impact on 7.2 GT3 handling is significantly more than on the 991 (partly because the 7.2 has
been around more, and is tracked more heavily, hence the maps are more
mature).

I went the opposite direction, GT3 -> GTS, trust me, you want, no you NEED,
the DSC in your GT3.

The normal mode is much more compliant, which is a good thing when you
have replaced much of your suspension with RSS parts and LCA, and the
"sport" mode is now actually usable on track.

as a bonus, its MUCH easier to install the DSC on the GT3 than it is on the 991.

do it, no thanks necessary, now go to here: http://www.tpcracing.com/dsc.html place your order and
you will no longer feel this depressing longing and void in your life!

Old 06-06-2016, 04:46 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Finally, finally ordered my DSC V2... should ship today and will hopefully install this weekend. Larry should get some form of referral bonus as his posts on this wore me down over time.

Quick Reply: Reserve your 991 DSC module