Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche 911 [991.2]

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 12:04 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

front axle lift, rear steering, twin turbo's with intercoolers, etc. curious to see where the weight will not be with these new "essentials" T
Old 09-07-2015, 12:29 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

The vertical rear deck slats make the rear look narrower than the horizontal slats on 991.1 It will be interesting to see how it drives and how it sounds with the turbos. I would also be interested in knowing the replacement costs for the turbos.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 09-07-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:42 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't quite place it, but the new rear has a hint of American or Buick influence in it. Not sure where I'm getting that, but it looks less German and less "Porsche" to my eye. On the flip side it doesn't look as bad as on the test mules. More refined than expected.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:30 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I spoke to the boss of my dealership a few days ago about fitting the Fabspeed headers and 200-cell cats to my GTS. He said he'd never in 21 years of working for Porsche and BMW before that ever had a warranty claim turned down because a car was modified, and this included remaps. He said the onus was on the manufacturer to prove that the problem was caused by the modification, and that that's basically impossible to do.
will he pay up if he is wrong?
Old 09-07-2015, 03:27 PM
acey81
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Seems like the engine is quite a bit heavier, maybe the upgraded suspension, wider tires and rear wheel steering can make it disappear?
Old 09-07-2015, 04:34 PM
pcosta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you guys watch the movie?
First time in a Porsche video, where most of the time the sound is music. Very little of the exhaust sound, and when you hear it, it sounds generic. That's a disappointment.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:36 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche 911 [991.2]

Originally Posted by pcosta
Did you guys watch the movie?
First time in a Porsche video, where most of the time the sound is music. Very little of the exhaust sound, and when you hear it, it sounds generic. That's a disappointment.

Sounds like a video game or an exhaust from any 30K car out there.

At least it's better than the real Turbo 911. Throwing that one under the bus are we??

"We tried to model a normally aspirated engine and avoid turbo lag as much as possible, he adds. A lot of detail work has gone into the system to improve response. For instance, when you come off the throttle the turbos keep spinning, so they are running at a higher speed when you get back on the throttle. We also have a new sports exhaust system that sounds really good. Yes, its different to a normally aspirated engine, but it sounds better than the 911 Turbo, more emotional."
Old 09-07-2015, 04:44 PM
pcosta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sharm
Question: will there be an x51 powerkit available for these turbo models? I don't see one tickable on the configurator. If so, how much additional power do you suspect will be added? Just curious.
The power kit will come later, probably with the 4S version. Rumored to be 450hp.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:45 PM
CommonProject
Advanced

here comes the 991.1 owner butthurting comments because they no longer having the new model. Happens everytime
Old 09-07-2015, 04:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by CommonProject
here comes the 991.1 owner butthurting comments because they no longer having the new model. Happens everytime
Why is it that nobody can ever critique a new car without being labeled jealous or something of the sorts? Kind of immature.

I envy the 997 GT3 and GT3RS

I could give a rats *** about the latest and greatest. Newest isn't always better. I just want what appeals to me.

I don't mind most of the changes except the turbo engine. They're definitely trying to deflect attention to the turbo engine they seem to making excuses for.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:53 PM
CommonProject
Advanced

Originally Posted by STG991
Why is it that nobody can ever critique a new car without being labeled jealous or something of the sorts? Kind of immature.

I envy the 997 GT3 and GT3RS

I could give a rats *** about the latest and greatest. Newest isn't always better. I just want what appeals to me.
Lol the fact that you automatically think this post is directed at you just confirms my point. Look at your last 10 posts, it's literally all about how the new car is too heavy/more expensive/my current car is great and i'm satifsied. Not saying you're jealous and it's great that you're happy, but there's no need to be so defensive and make a bunch of posts like that; that's immaturity. It's not like people are ****ting on the 991.1s.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:00 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by CommonProject
Lol the fact that you automatically think this post is directed at you just confirms my point. Look at your last 10 posts, it's literally all about how the new car is too heavy/more expensive/my current car is great and i'm satifsied. Not saying you're jealous and it's great that you're happy, but there's no need to be so defensive and make a bunch of posts like that; that's immaturity. It's not like people are ****ting on the 991.1s.
It's a car. The 991.2 isn't even out yet! If I like it or wanted it, I'll buy it. I've never owned a car for more than 5yrs. Like I'm married to the 991.1 or have a lifetime contract with it??

Sorry I'm happy with my car. Geez. I don't have a GTS, but you hear me bashing that??

I'm just stating the facts and have posted details on a lot of new options that I think are good which I've stated but somehow you ignore.

I like:

the new color options

PCM updates

Interior changes

Additional options on painted badges, mirrors, bigger ceramics, etc.

And most of the exterior cosmetic changes.

Hate the:

Turbo engine

Rear grill

PSE tip placement

Sorry I'm not a cheerleader and worship everything Porsche puts out. I'm not brainwashed.

Porsche hypes up anything new to sell cars. That's what they do. They must be hating on the previous generations too since they highlight all the "new improvements"???

Last edited by STG; 09-07-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:09 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
PASM has been standard on the S since introduction of the 997.
Only on the "S" and above not on the base Carrera
Old 09-07-2015, 05:58 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
A different question: do we think that the updated PCM might mean there's any chance of a software update for the current one so that it might, like, actually have a clue where traffic is?
Someone here mentioned that the current PCM will/might be upgradable but I suspect this will end up being a hardware rather than software upgrade.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:05 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Useless impractical overpriced technology that has bastardized what Porsches were originally all about. Like watching the guys in Ferraris cruising up and down Rodeo Drive in first gear, the new Porsche has joined the club of infotainment driven car enthusiasts. Who needs 7 speeds when the car is almost undrivable in 4th...unless you are on a race track. Who needs adaptive suspension and rear wheel steering and .01% better gas mileage when most new owners will rarely drive their cars except on weekend trips to cars and coffee? The only reason to buy a new Porsche is because the stock market crashed and the world is coming to an end and you have 48 hours left to party.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche 911 [991.2]