Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to learn about the problems with your car.

The math (for me) in this situation is simple:

Car left me stranded + been to the dealer five times to get it fixed + issue still unresolved + new issues cropping up = Get rid of the car
Old 08-30-2015, 04:48 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

For what its worth.... Bought by 991 C2S new and the PDK failed last year at 6K miles. Middle of nowhere Wisconsin on Labor Day weekend. Trying getting a flatbed on that weekend....

PDK replaced and I thought seriously about trading it in. However, kept the car and have had no issues since. In fact I think the PDK was failing for a long time as once it was replaced the car drives so much smoother.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:54 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

IMHO there's probably nothing wrong with the transmission. You have some sort of Nick Murray-esque issue, probably a fairly simple one, that the dealer is just making worse by replacing random parts.

There's a lot to be said for trading it in and letting someone else worry about it. But if you like the car and want to keep it, you should shop around for second (and third) opinions.

Last edited by Noah Fect; 08-30-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:48 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
thanks for the reply.

my confidence in this car is not all that high, in fact, i wouldn't mind selling it right back to them. given all that's gone wrong in a matter of months, what could be next?
Without having any failures I still never had confidence in my 997. It isn't about one part of the car it is about the entire gestalt of modern engineering. A rose is a rose is a rose...and all our structures, machines, social institutions are crumbling for the reasons Joseph Tainter describes in his book "The Collapse of Complex Societies." The warning is echoed in Nasim Taleb's book "Antifragile."

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...plex+societies

Seven sensors on each door just to get the window to drop down and then slip back up when opening and closing the door. Exhausts that use audio programs to remind us how cool and loud our cars are. The disappearance of the spare tire in many makes of cars, replaced with a lame promise of "roadside assistance and a bottle of glue."

The modern 911 (and Boxster and Cayman) bear little resemblance to the ideas that shapped the 356 and early 911. In the case of the 911, when they could not get customers to accept the 928, Porsche had to expand the concept of the 911 well past the point of diminishing returns. And so we have todays "super car."

Driving through Beverly Hills yesterday I saw four Ferraris, two Lambos and five 911s...all reving their engines in 100 foot spurts of acceleration before halting in a parking lot of traffic. These cars have no need for spare tires, they are never really going anywhere. They are toys for people that can afford them, but the modern cars and drivers have zero resemblance to machines and adventurers who braved mountains and deserts and unpaved roads in cars that redefined time and space and freedom of movement.

Automotive elephantitus will destroy the car much faster than the Marxist environmentalists will.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:37 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Civilization moves on....he who hesitates is lost...time waits for no man...you cannot restore the past...the future is now!
Old 08-30-2015, 06:40 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments, they'll surely help me shape my final decision. As for other opinions, I asked my trustworthy friend and my air cooled P car mechanic (TLG Auto) his thoughts, and in short, he suggested keeping it if it's a car I truly enjoy to drive. The obvious answer to that is "of course, and the car is spec'd out to my liking" but my ownership experience has been unpleasant, and that truly counts as well. As a hobbyist I don't know if I own a bad car (continued problems, will get hurt on resale value) or if these are just random events with this one being the last of them. The latter is what I don't feel like betting on no matter how much I like being behind its wheel. I guess I have to decide if I've met my pain threshold with this car, our other two Porsche automobiles are a joy (have had others prior to).
Old 08-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Without having any failures I still never had confidence in my 997....
I'm guessing you're outside right now waving your cane and yelling 'Hey, you kids, get off of my lawn!'
Old 08-30-2015, 11:32 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Automotive elephantitus will destroy the car much faster than the Marxist environmentalists will.
None of the environmentalists I know are Marxists. There's even a Republican or two.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:49 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

You're talking watermelons. And RINO's.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:00 AM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

The latter is what I don't feel like betting on no matter how much I like being behind its wheel. I guess I have to decide if I've met my pain threshold with this car, our other two Porsche automobiles are a joy (have had others prior to).
I think you already know in your mind. If you trade the car, do it now while the PDK is malfunctioning, it's your only leverage to negotiate a great deal. I would talk to the dealer and see what they are willing to do for you.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:29 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Complain and complain big time so you can get the best deal if you plan to trade it in.
That is intricacies of today's modern car. To many electronics and sensors that may fail any time. Sometimes the sensor itself is the weakest link.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I've been getting pecked to death lately with repairs on our other vehicles (Chevy/Audi) and it's driving me crazy. But not a single one has anything to do with the modern elements of the car. It's all basic stuff going bad, some if it just obviously shoddy construction. I honestly think a group of monkeys must have assembled our Q7 when the factory was shut down for summer break.

In all my years of owning a ton of cars, I can't think of any major problems I had that were directly the result of something new and high tech. It's all been basic stuff.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:05 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ChoyV
Complain and complain big time so you can get the best deal if you plan to trade it in.
That is intricacies of today's modern car. To many electronics and sensors that may fail any time. Sometimes the sensor itself is the weakest link.
Easy enuf for some here to type " just get rid of it " before quickly moving on to the next thread .....its not their $$$ down the drain !

The " best deal " is still a loss of thousands of dollars incl the sales tax ...for what could be , like some said , a faulty ground or bad BCM unit, etc. , all covered by the CPO warranty whose cost was also paid for by the OP. I suspect all these seemingly separate events have a common cause .

Interesting that the service tech noticed " funny wiring " under seat ..U wonder if previous owner had some aftermarket electronic gizmo installed by self or hack quality shop , messing up the MOST wiring harness or even a hard shell " race car " seat in it for a while ?
Old 08-31-2015, 03:36 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
Get rid of the car. The car has a history of problems and now left you stranded.
I've always had a rule - silly as it may be - that if a car ever strands me for something more serious than a dead battery or flat tire, it gets gone. It's a rare occurrence these days, but something that I won't tolerate.

My thought is to sell it back to the dealer (hopefully at a respectable price) and start over. I've purchased many cars from them as have my work colleagues, maybe they'll recognize that.
Good luck with that. They're not going to take a loss either.

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
There's a lot to be said for trading it in and letting someone else worry about it.
Unfortunately, that's what the first owner did. Now the OP is the one worrying about it.

I think you need another glass of wine.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I've been getting pecked to death lately with repairs on our other vehicles (Chevy/Audi) and it's driving me crazy. But not a single one has anything to do with the modern elements of the car.
Huh. My Audi is driving me nuts, and it is all the modern elements, keyless start, MMI, solenoids...

Sure, it's under warranty, but that doesn't mean that they can fix it.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:16 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Sure, it's under warranty, but that doesn't mean that they can fix it.
You hit the nail on the head!

Quick Reply: PDK Transmission Failure