Sponsored by:

Black or Jet Black Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Jaws12
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Black or Jet Black Metallic

Trying to make a decision on a build allocation and can't decide which black to do.

I keep black paint swirl free and clean but I was told Jet Black Metallic is easier because it doesn't show as much swirling or scratching.

Also, Bose or Burmeister?
Old 08-28-2015, 01:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Black or Jet Black Metallic

Black is tough as it is. Metallic is the better option for hiding imperfections.

Porsche paint is so soft, I'd never do black again.

If you don't mind the $$, get Burmester. Those who have it really love it.

Last edited by STG; 08-28-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:37 PM
ent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have jet black metallic on my Cayenne and it is definitely much easier to keep clean. Swirls and minor scratching are much less noticeable. Having said that, the gloss and overall appearance when perfectly clean are nowhere near as stunning as black.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:51 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a metallic Black Ford SHO and had a non-metallic black 991 C2. The SHO far outshines the 991. I have owned two non-metallic black Porsches. My 2013 991 and my 1989 Targa were very difficult to deal with. Look at them at the URL listed beneath my Avatar. I worked at keeping them beautiful. My SHO stays beautiful with weekly drive-in washes and little effort.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:12 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a jet black C2S. The paint is very soft and it shows every minor imperfection. If detailing is a hobby for you and you wash it properly I wouldn't have any reservations, it looks fantastic and saves you a couple bucks. But if low maintenance is more important, go with metallic.
The Bose is really only OK. To my ear it is not on par with similarly priced audio upgrades from other makes. There are numerous threads on here about trying to optimize it but I agree with STG, if the sound system is a priority go with the Burmester.

Last edited by SMZ; 08-28-2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

I have the Burmester in my current turbo and had BOSE in my Boxster. The Burmester is clearly far superior, but once I start driving down the road even it doesn't sound great v car and road noise.
If $ not an issue, I would still get it but it'll never sound better than when it's parked, IMO.
I have never had a black car, so no help there, but Todd Cooperrider at Esoteric also warned me about the softness of Porsche black paint when my PTS was turned down and I briefly considered black over Anthracite.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:40 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a black Cayenne Turbo daily drive. It looks the best out of any color, especially after a good detailing job. But it only last a couple of days, may be two in pollen season! And the paint is so soft that you could literally scratch it by just looking at it. I detail for people as side work, and I have to polish her every year even with a proper washing technique. I won't recommend it for a daily drive. Garage queen, weekend fun car? Sure.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:47 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a JBM GTS Cab. It looked absolutely stunning post-detail, but the paint seemed to be made of cheese. I was simply unable to clean it, no matter how much care I took, without making little swirls, so I now have a satin grey wrapped GTS, which is a great deal easier to keep looking good.

It still has Burmester though, which if you like audio I'd totally recommend. I know if I had the Bose I'd constantly be wondering how it would sound with the better system, but I'll admit I have particular tendencies to that kind of thinking...
Old 08-28-2015, 06:23 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
I have a metallic Black Ford SHO and had a non-metallic black 991 C2. The SHO far outshines the 991. I have owned two non-metallic black Porsches. My 2013 991 and my 1989 Targa were very difficult to deal with. Look at them at the URL listed beneath my Avatar. I worked at keeping them beautiful. My SHO stays beautiful with weekly drive-in washes and little effort.

Seems like Ford paint has more metal than anyone else. My Raptor is metallic black, and OMG!! Huge difference between it and my Basalt Black C2S.

I haven't seen JBM in person yet, but my SA told me it has less flake than Basalt. I guess I'll find out when my GTS gets here.

Quick Reply: Black or Jet Black Metallic