Sponsored by:

Center lock wheel vs 5 lug your choice and safety in design

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:18 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Center lock wheel vs 5 lug your choice and safety in design

Wondering what most guys and or gals like for their wheel attachment. I went with the center lock wheel over the 5 lug. Why? I like the unique look mainly. I know both do the job, but does anyone know which design is actually stronger or safer in design? I have no fears either way, but am curious!

On the point of mounting or dismounting, I know some will say well its hard to get the center lock wheel off and on and if you have a tire change on the road, you are hosed. My thought is the car doesn't carry a full size spare to change it out on the road anyways. Either use a fill kit, have the tools, are haul it lol

I know there is a bit of expense in the torque wrench and wheel alinement pin if you want to protect your rotors, if you are going to to take a wheel off with a center lock design. I ordered one from ED on the forum and its very nicely priced and very nicely made.

On the strength and safety issue point, I was just curious as to the good and bad in both designs. I know some will say you have other lugs holding the wheel as opposed to one etc. And then some will say all the lug holes weaken a wheel and exotic race cars run center locks. This will be a good one lol

Last edited by stratocaster69; 08-28-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-28-2015, 01:54 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I am quite sure that the Porsche engineers have done all the strength and durability testing, and since they use centerlocks on their race cars, you can rest assured that they will take anything you can throw at them. Porsche is really good about sharing the technical information about such things as well, perhaps contact them to see is there are technical papers on it.

The 5-lug system has an advantage if you ever want to put aftermarket wheels on, you have lots more choices (especially in pre-owned wheels), but other than that - you get what puts a smile on your face.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:02 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drcollie
I am quite sure that the Porsche engineers have done all the strength and durability testing, and since they use centerlocks on their race cars, you can rest assured that they will take anything you can throw at them. Porsche is really good about sharing the technical information about such things as well, perhaps contact them to see is there are technical papers on it.

The 5-lug system has an advantage if you ever want to put aftermarket wheels on, you have lots more choices (especially in pre-owned wheels), but other than that - you get what puts a smile on your face.

Never even thought about the 5 lug and all the wheel choices. Good Point! Thats why I posted this. So I can learn more!
Old 08-28-2015, 02:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

note that the CL system on the race cars differs from the street version on the GT3/GTS cars... and there were some issues with the original CL system on the 997 GT3 that were the subject of a recall.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
Never even thought about the 5 lug and all the wheel choices. Good Point! Thats why I posted this. So I can learn more!
there is a pretty good selection of CL aftermarket wheels, forgeline, HRE, Oz ...
Old 08-28-2015, 02:27 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
there is a pretty good selection of CL aftermarket wheels, forgeline, HRE, Oz ...
Thanks Larry for all the good information. I need to find a good book on the the 911 design. What a cool car! All Porsches for that mater.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks Larry for all the good information. I need to find a good book on the the 911 design. What a cool car! All Porsches for that mater.
this is scary... prior to the CL recall... you should go look at the 997 GT3 forum for more details about the program you need to follow for hub maintenance.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:46 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Thanks again Larry. You are a very informative enthusiast. And I did just see somewhere a few days ago a hub maintenance guideline. Basically so a person knows what the heck they are doing. Its not just taking them on and off. I thought myself that was the deal, but than noticed the many things to look for.

Appreciated!
Old 08-28-2015, 02:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks again Larry. You are a very informative enthusiast. And I did just see somewhere a few days ago a hub maintenance guideline. Basically so a person knows what the heck they are doing. Its not just taking them on and off. I thought myself that was the deal, but than noticed the many things to look for.

Appreciated!
That's what we are here for...

there are a couple of things to note; there is a specific set of 'protocols' you need to follow with CL wheels both for take off/install, but there is also some
inspection that you need to do of the system itself, *and* there is a maintenance schedule you need to follow this especially for track usage.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

all that said, I have CL's on my GT3 and my GTS...
Old 08-28-2015, 02:56 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Awesome information Larry and I like both your cars. In fact am on a list for a GT3. I won't be racing, just an enthusiast. I loved how that GT3 vibes. Thanks Again!
Old 08-28-2015, 03:08 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Center lock wheel vs 5 lug your choice and safety in design

The centerlocks are part of the whole "GTS look" if that means anything to you.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:45 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STG991
The centerlocks are part of the whole "GTS look" if that means anything to you.

Ah, as thats what I ordered it does. Thanks
Old 08-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

My guess is that in competitive race application, the centerlock is way faster for wheel changes. I would assume it's just cool race car tech trickled down to the consumer.

They def have a cleaner look
Old 08-28-2015, 07:11 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Never had them before and they are very interesting and intriguing to me. Just love the way they look. Yes that fast change out makes sense!

Quick Reply: Center lock wheel vs 5 lug your choice and safety in design