Any idea what the problem is...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Allennator
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any idea what the problem is...

hey guys,

three weeks ago I bought a 2013 CPO 991S as my daily driver/occasional track car. After 2 weeks though it developed a problem were the dash gauges will all go off (while the car is running), every warning light will come on i.e. TPMS, Engine control fault, power steering failure, locking differential failure, parking break failure, even faulty park or reverse gear failure (I have a PDK), the radio will turn off and even the AC, now the worst part is when the engine stalls and the car restarts itself. Trying to remain calm I call roadside assistance, and they send a tow truck and take my car to my local porsche dealership (same place I purchased it from), and ofcourse they see the problem. side note, I also recorded the problem and can post it if anyones interested. Back to the story, after taking it there the service rep says he's never seen anything like that and will have the shop foreman try to see whats going on. Ofcourse after a week-week and a half of trying to fix the problem I get a call from him saying "bad news" we couldnt fix the problem and now the regional porsche service rep is coming to check out my car. Just wondering if any of you experienced anything similar, and how it was fixed. Pretty bummed this happened especially after only having it for 2 weeks, and knowing the service guys probably drove it more than I did by now.

Things they tried: checked all the wire they were grounded and fine, changed the computer, checked the software, checked the battery, checked all the connectors, and then took on multiple test drives with the same problem happening...

Any tips or ideas appreciated Thanks!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:51 PM
mmaturo
Racer

all those things happening I wonder if something has gone wonky with the start/stop feature on the engine. No advice here though...after reading all over these forums for the last 6 months you are the first I have read with anything like that. Electrical gremlin no doubt. One of my first Audi's had an ignition switch problem that would do something similar (all but the restart part). They had to replace the entire switch multiple times since it had a defect that caused similar issues that the car didn't know if it should be fully on or not it seemed...kinda shifting electrically between full engine on mode and parked engine off accessories on. It was very intermittent though thank goodness. I just had my battery heavily depleted on my old TT from it sitting too long but got the car started...it was lit up like a christmas tree with every fault possible and no traction control abs etc until I got the battery back up to full charge and restarted. But yup it sounds like they went through anything that has to do with what I mention.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:56 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I remember a guy who had a similar problem. He famously posted his video online for all his troubles with his car. Apparently, his car was bought back by Porsche.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by ChoyV
I remember a guy who had a similar problem. He famously posted his video online for all his troubles with his car. Apparently, his car was bought back by Porsche.
correct it was Nick Murray ...
Old 08-27-2015, 01:32 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Maybe it's Nick's old car...
Old 08-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Allennator
hey guys,

three weeks ago I bought a 2013 CPO 991S as my daily driver/occasional track car. After 2 weeks though it developed a problem were the dash gauges will all go off (while the car is running), every warning light will come on i.e. TPMS, Engine control fault, power steering failure, locking differential failure, parking break failure, even faulty park or reverse gear failure (I have a PDK), the radio will turn off and even the AC, now the worst part is when the engine stalls and the car restarts itself. Trying to remain calm I call roadside assistance, and they send a tow truck and take my car to my local porsche dealership (same place I purchased it from), and ofcourse they see the problem. side note, I also recorded the problem and can post it if anyones interested. Back to the story, after taking it there the service rep says he's never seen anything like that and will have the shop foreman try to see whats going on. Ofcourse after a week-week and a half of trying to fix the problem I get a call from him saying "bad news" we couldnt fix the problem and now the regional porsche service rep is coming to check out my car. Just wondering if any of you experienced anything similar, and how it was fixed. Pretty bummed this happened especially after only having it for 2 weeks, and knowing the service guys probably drove it more than I did by now.

Things they tried: checked all the wire they were grounded and fine, changed the computer, checked the software, checked the battery, checked all the connectors, and then took on multiple test drives with the same problem happening...

Any tips or ideas appreciated Thanks!
go to youtube and search for nick murray 991 ... you wont like what you see I'm afraid.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
OMG! now that would suck
Old 08-27-2015, 01:44 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Your car isn't dark blue by chance?
Old 08-27-2015, 01:44 PM
findtom
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 88 Posts

This happened to me when my previous 991 was about 2 weeks old. It was really cold (in the UK)! And it caused a solenoid to fail, it is one of the few parts of the car that the CPU doesn't record as a fail. Because of this my OPC was able to work out what is was immediately.

They replaced and I never saw the issue again.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-27-2015, 01:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by findtom
This happened to me when my previous 991 was about 2 weeks old. It was really cold (in the UK)! And it caused a solenoid to fail, it is one of the few parts of the car that the CPU doesn't record as a fail. Because of this my OPC was able to work out what is was immediately.

Hope that helps!
a failed solenoid caused a complete reboot of the cars electrical??? WTF???
Old 08-27-2015, 01:54 PM
findtom
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 88 Posts

Yep, sure did. It lit the dashboard up like a Christmas tree....
Old 08-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Yep, sure did. It lit the dashboard up like a Christmas tree....
amazing, seems like pretty poor design... hopefully this is the issue with the OP's car as it sounds like an "easy" fix...
Old 08-27-2015, 02:48 PM
Allennator
Track Day

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
correct it was Nick Murray ...
Originally Posted by mwar99
Originally Posted by stealthboy
Your car isn't dark blue by chance?
No I didn't buy Nick's old car, mines agate grey

Hope that helps!
hmm solenoid fail caused a similar problem, that's interesting. I'll ask my service rep if he's considered that yet.

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 08-27-2015, 03:12 PM
sdl2112
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look over these links.

Please keep us up to date on what you find.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8649...ont-start.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...g-commute.html
Old 08-27-2015, 03:15 PM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCM software reinstall may fix it.

Originally Posted by Allennator
hey guys,
three weeks ago I bought a 2013 CPO 991S as my daily driver/occasional track car. After 2 weeks though it developed a problem were the dash gauges will all go off (while the car is running), every warning light will come on i.e. TPMS, Engine control fault, power steering failure, locking differential failure, parking break failure, even faulty park or reverse gear failure (I have a PDK), the radio will turn off and even the AC, now the worst part is when the engine stalls and the car restarts itself.
I had this happen to me after a PCM software upgrade done by the dealership. I took it back and asked for a refresh or revert to the older version. They reinstalled the update and the problem went away. I recommend that you take your car to another dealership and have them do the reinstall.

Quick Reply: Any idea what the problem is...