Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member Greetings from Switzerland!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:01 AM
GetALife75
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Greetings from Switzerland!

Greetings Rennlisters!

I am new to this wonderful forum and also new to Porsches. Never owned one in my entire life and still yet to buy one. Hoping to learn from the gurus here and pick up as much information that I can before dumping the cash for a 911.

Quick intro about myself. My name is Rodney and I am originally from Singapore. Have been working and living in Switzerland since 2008. Beautiful country and lots of awesome mountain passes to attack.

Since my move to Europe, my car history in sequence includes the following ...

07 Mini Cooper S 6MT, 11 Subaru Impreza STI Hatchback 6MT, 08 BMW E92 M3 6MT, 07 VW Golf 6 GTI 6MT, 09 BMW E93 M3 DCT, 12 VW Golf 6 R DSG and 07 BMW Z4 M Roadster 6MT

The last 2 are currently what I am driving.

I have admired and lusted after Porsche 911s since my teenage days. That sleek and instantly recognizable design. So I am now finally ready to go for it!

The GT3 has since forever been the holy grail for me. But I am not sure that I can ever fulfill the potential of that car. I would only classify myself as an above average driver. A 997 GT3 would be the dream car to have. But I feel that it would be a waste in my hands (and feet). So realistically I have decided that I would go for a 991 C2S.

And because I have no prior experience with 911s or Porsches for that matter, except for a quick test drive in a 997.2 TT PDK, the main dilemma I face now is which transmission to go for.

Ok before anyone starts jumping, I must first say the intention here is NOT to start another MT vs AT war. I am VERY sure that I am equally happy driving a MT or AT. You can see that there's a good mix from the various cars that I used to own. For me there is NO right or wrong or which transmission is BETTER.

My dilemma stems from not knowing how the new 7MT drives in a daily situation. I have already tried the PDK and it is definitely very capable. I would rate it better than BMW's DCT. But I never could really fall in love with BMW M cars' 6MT. Vague and sloppy shifter with notchy and clunky gear shifts.

I have only read good things about the 6MT for the older gen 911s. So what I would really like to hear about now are real world experiences from 911 991 7MT owners. Would be even better when it is from a C2S.

The C2S will be a second car and driven a couple of days a week with good weather to work and definitely on the weekends. Occasionally I will hit the Nürburgring and participate in a couple of trackdays a year. I plan to sell the Z4 M and keep the Golf 6 R for all other purposes.

All feedback are much appreciated. Many thanks in advance!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:16 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome! Switzerland is one of my favorite countries. Its just amazing there.

I just purchased my first Porsche last week (coming from several M3's). I can confirm that you will absolutely love the 991 (at least I do). I came from a M DCT M3 and chose to get my 991 GTS in manual. I couldn't be happier. Shifts are short and precise. Its really rewarding to drive. However you also can't go wrong with the PDK. It will be quicker on track and its still a blast to drive daily (I used to only drive my DCT in manual mode). Good luck in your decision... Once you get the 991 you will love it.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:39 PM
thomnellie
Racer

I lived in Zurich for 2 years. Your yearly expenditure on speeding fines must be impressive.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:51 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Coming from 2 E92 M3 and both with DCT also. Received my 2016 991 GTS yesterday and with MT. It is nice to be back shifting gears manually. You can't go wrong with PDK also. PDK is a lot better than DCT basing from experience. So which ever you decided to take, I am sure you will love it.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:36 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

Default for mountain driving get the 7mt!

it is more fun!
Old 08-27-2015, 02:17 PM
GetALife75
Track Day

Originally Posted by hsmith
Welcome! Switzerland is one of my favorite countries. Its just amazing there.

I just purchased my first Porsche last week (coming from several M3's). I can confirm that you will absolutely love the 991 (at least I do). I came from a M DCT M3 and chose to get my 991 GTS in manual. I couldn't be happier. Shifts are short and precise. Its really rewarding to drive. However you also can't go wrong with the PDK. It will be quicker on track and its still a blast to drive daily (I used to only drive my DCT in manual mode). Good luck in your decision... Once you get the 991 you will love it.
Thanks for the welcome! Once you have visited and driven around Switzerland and the Alps then you never want to leave this country.

Seems like I am moving along the same line as you. M to 991. The 991 GTS would be wonderful but I would not like to spend more than for a 991S. You must be way over the moon with your new purchase.

Have you previously driven a manual M3 ? How would you compare the new 7MT to the M's 6MT? You mentioned that the shifts are short and precise. What about the engaging gears? Does the shifter enter the gates smoothly and is there any notchiness like in the M's gearbox? Any clunking and loose feeling? In short does the transmission feel like a solid unit instead of being sloppy?

I also used to drive the E93 M3 DCT primarily in manual mode. I would definitely get the PDK if the 7MT does not convince me. Eventually I will go test drive a 991S with the 7MT. That's if I can find one. Not so easy in Switzerland to find cars with manual transmissions.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:19 PM
GetALife75
Track Day

Originally Posted by thomnellie
I lived in Zurich for 2 years. Your yearly expenditure on speeding fines must be impressive.
I actually live in Zurich right in the city. I'm very resistant to speeding within Switzerland. Much too expensive. And driving fast on the Alpen passes depends on the time of the day as well. Good then that the German Autobahn is right across the border.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:22 PM
GetALife75
Track Day

Originally Posted by ChoyV
Coming from 2 E92 M3 and both with DCT also. Received my 2016 991 GTS yesterday and with MT. It is nice to be back shifting gears manually. You can't go wrong with PDK also. PDK is a lot better than DCT basing from experience. So which ever you decided to take, I am sure you will love it.
Oh man you guys are all going for the GTS. Same question for you like what I asked hsmith.

Have you previously driven a manual M3 ? How would you compare the new 7MT to the M's 6MT? You mentioned that the shifts are short and precise. What about the engaging gears? Does the shifter enter the gates smoothly and is there any notchiness like in the M's gearbox? Any clunking and loose feeling? In short does the transmission feel like a solid unit instead of being sloppy?
Old 08-27-2015, 02:23 PM
GetALife75
Track Day

Originally Posted by ignacio
it is more fun!
I am sure it is because of the constant connection through shifting by yourself.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:46 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove a 6MT M3 (E93) for 3 years before I joined the Porsche world in June 2013. I've driven a C2S 7MT, a TT (with PDK naturally) and now a GTS 7MT. There is simply no comparison between the manual in the M3 and the 7MT in a C2S. The shifts are shorter, the gears engaged smoothly with a satisfying mechanical and precise click, and there is very little notchiness (on rare occasion, there may be a bit of notchiness from 1st to 2nd but in my experience, it's very uncommon). Also, the clutch pedal on the C2S is much more firm and feels much better than in the M3. Just no comparison, really. Makes the M3 feel like a sloppy car.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:59 PM
GetALife75
Track Day

Originally Posted by eg991
I drove a 6MT M3 (E93) for 3 years before I joined the Porsche world in June 2013. I've driven a C2S 7MT, a TT (with PDK naturally) and now a GTS 7MT. There is simply no comparison between the manual in the M3 and the 7MT in a C2S. The shifts are shorter, the gears engaged smoothly with a satisfying mechanical and precise click, and there is very little notchiness (on rare occasion, there may be a bit of notchiness from 1st to 2nd but in my experience, it's very uncommon). Also, the clutch pedal on the C2S is much more firm and feels much better than in the M3. Just no comparison, really. Makes the M3 feel like a sloppy car.
Thanks for your input! That's the kind of comparison I really needed. I'm so glad to hear that the 7MT is such a joy to drive.

The E9x M3 with its V8 motor is a great sports coupe but the brakes and the manual transmission are a big letdown. And don't get me started on that horrible OEM gooseneck shift **** ... This was my Jerez Black E93 M3 DCT with Akrapovic Slip On exhaust. Sound with the top down is pure sex!

Oh and your car in Agate Grey with black wheels looks seriously menacing.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:04 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much! Appreciate the compliment. Yep, agree with your assessment of the E9x M3. Awesome motor, great exhaust sound, everything else was pretty underwhelming. I almost thought something must be wrong with me, given that the old M3 got such sterling reviews in the automotive press. But then I let go of the M and got into a 911, and realized that it's the wrong company that advertises itself as building "the ultimate driving machine."
Old 08-27-2015, 05:10 PM
GetALife75
Track Day

Originally Posted by eg991
Thanks so much! Appreciate the compliment. Yep, agree with your assessment of the E9x M3. Awesome motor, great exhaust sound, everything else was pretty underwhelming. I almost thought something must be wrong with me, given that the old M3 got such sterling reviews in the automotive press. But then I let go of the M and got into a 911, and realized that it's the wrong company that advertises itself as building "the ultimate driving machine."
You wouldn't believe me when I tell you that I actually prefer driving the Z4 M currently as compared to the E9x M3. The Z4 M has the same motor as the E46 M3 and this car is so much more fun to drive even though it has less power. With the E93's top down the engine and exhaust notes are more obvious. With the E92 I could not even hear the exhaust.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:24 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Rodney,

Welcome to the forum and future Porsche ownership.

Since you've started a thread, I'll answer your email here instead.

I've owned all generation M3 (MT, SMG, DCT, all driven on track too) + the first Z3 base M roadster (MT). The MT in the BMW is known to be long throw (it's very common for BMW owner to install short shift kit on their MT), notchy. In other words, not as precise.

On the Porsche's 7MT, it's very short throw, very precise shifting, and no notchy feeling. And yes, the clutch is on the heavy side compare to other MT car, but your leg muscle will get used to.

Pedal placement is great and so does the BMW. I would say they both are very easy for heel & toe.

PDK is faster, no doubt. For heavy traffic or very relaxing/lazy drive, I would like to have PDK. However, the fun of shifting yourself and a proper heel & toe, make MT a very fun and satisfy experience. Mine is a daily drive, 50/50 highway & local (but not much traffic, just regular suburban traffic lights).

If I would chose again, I think I'll still go for the 7MT over PDK. Mainly because I don't know how much longer I could still enjoy this experience in the future. (my prediction? May be in 2 generation at most.) After all, it's the "driving experience" that counts. Not just the fastest speed from a traffic light (launch control) nor at the track. But if my daily route will encounter heavy stop & go traffic, I think I'll prefer PDK then.

Either way, it's a hell of a sport car, and I'm sure you'll enjoy both.

Gary
Old 08-27-2015, 06:39 PM
GetALife75
Track Day

Originally Posted by LandShark
Hi Rodney,

Welcome to the forum and future Porsche ownership.

Since you've started a thread, I'll answer your email here instead.

I've owned all generation M3 (MT, SMG, DCT, all driven on track too) + the first Z3 base M roadster (MT). The MT in the BMW is known to be long throw (it's very common for BMW owner to install short shift kit on their MT), notchy. In other words, not as precise.

On the Porsche's 7MT, it's very short throw, very precise shifting, and no notchy feeling. And yes, the clutch is on the heavy side compare to other MT car, but your leg muscle will get used to.

Pedal placement is great and so does the BMW. I would say they both are very easy for heel & toe.

PDK is faster, no doubt. For heavy traffic or very relaxing/lazy drive, I would like to have PDK. However, the fun of shifting yourself and a proper heel & toe, make MT a very fun and satisfy experience. Mine is a daily drive, 50/50 highway & local (but not much traffic, just regular suburban traffic lights).

If I would chose again, I think I'll still go for the 7MT over PDK. Mainly because I don't know how much longer I could still enjoy this experience in the future. (my prediction? May be in 2 generation at most.) After all, it's the "driving experience" that counts. Not just the fastest speed from a traffic light (launch control) nor at the track. But if my daily route will encounter heavy stop & go traffic, I think I'll prefer PDK then.

Either way, it's a hell of a sport car, and I'm sure you'll enjoy both.

Gary
Hey Gary! Nice to hear from you and thanks for replying. I really love Sapphire Blue and if I decide to buy new it will definitely be this color. Still undecided whether to buy new or used though.

You are the second ex-BMW owner to give me a positive feedback regarding the 7MT. A slightly heavier clutch is not an issue for me. I just wanted to know whether it is a soft clutch or a firm one. Have previously driven crazy heavy sports clutches and I think the one in the 991 should be much more bearable.

I've been reading up on the PDK and I must say it is very worrying that many owners have complained about the hesitation and stumbling. Worse still is that so far it appears there is no solution for the problem.

I also feel that straight line speed is not the most important criteria. Handling and an engaging drive is more important for me.

I guess at the moment I'm leaning on getting a 7MT and I really should find a dealership that has a demo car for a test drive.

Thanks once again for your valuable feedback!

Quick Reply: New Member Greetings from Switzerland!